Ford Taurus vs Chevy Impala?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rented a Ford Taurus. It broke down and the agency switched it for a Chevy Impala.

The Ford was cramped and uncomfortable with a tiny back seat. The steering felt distant and the car handled like a wet sponge. On the other hand the Chevy was amazing. It handled brilliantly, steering, brakes and engine/transmission all worked together to produce a great driving experience. The Chevy encouraged me to push it on windy roads and really use the brakes where the Ford made you feel like every turn upset the car's balance and you had to wait for it to settle down. The difference between these two cars was a surprise. I would have never suspected that a Chevy sedan would be this good.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Were these brand new models? What happened to the Taurus?

It was just a few years old
road_trip_bridge_jump_car.jpg

Both cars were new 2015's. The Ford just died. Nothing would go on and tow truck driver could not get any response either. He said the battery was okay and when he hooked up jumper cables it did nothing. I have no idea what happened. So off it went and the Chevy soon arrived.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut

Haha I remember those!

Dont know why the police seem to love the new Taurus police interceptors.....

Is there a turbo n AWD option for Chevy cop unit? Here the fords with awd seem to be replacing lots of old tahoe n other 4*4 that must be more expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Dont know why the police seem to love the new Taurus police interceptors.....

Compared to the geriatric Crown Vic... anything would seem like an improvement.

Lady in the office across the hall had a top of the line SEL Taurus rental. She couldn't wait to get rid of it and get her Sonata Limited back. She said the visibility in the Taurus completely stunk. Hated driving it in traffic.

Robocop drove that body style!

car4.JPG

I had a friend in college who drove a 4 cyl taurus like that (tempo 2.3 motor in some sort of "special deal") and one night a trail of ATF ended a mile later with his car on the side of the road.

On topic the Dodge Charger I rented drove like a rock star. Just wish the outward visibility were better.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The Ford was cramped and uncomfortable with a tiny back seat.

I find that surprising because the outside of the car is HUGE.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Robocop drove that body style!

car4.JPG

I had a friend in college who drove a 4 cyl taurus like that (tempo 2.3 motor in some sort of "special deal") and one night a trail of ATF ended a mile later with his car on the side of the road.

On topic the Dodge Charger I rented drove like a rock star. Just wish the outward visibility were better.

Exactly the post I was going to make.. I was going to say, hey - say what you want, that was OCP's cruiser!

Both cars were new 2015's. The Ford just died. Nothing would go on and tow truck driver could not get any response either. He said the battery was okay and when he hooked up jumper cables it did nothing. I have no idea what happened. So off it went and the Chevy soon arrived.

No key detected/proximetey key problem?

I got blamed for that one on a new Explorer. I get blamed for that all the time on Nissans too but Nissans will start when you dock the key.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

No key detected/proximetey key problem?

I got blamed for that one on a new Explorer. I get blamed for that all the time on Nissans too but Nissans will start when you dock the key.

Interesting. My Prius starts with the smart key in my winter coat pocket. No docking needed.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
Is there a turbo n AWD option for Chevy cop unit? Here the fords with awd seem to be replacing lots of old tahoe n other 4*4 that must be more expensive.

No turbo or AWD, but Chevy's current police vehicle isn't the Impala. It's the Caprice PPV, which is RWD with the 6.0L V-8
Caprice-PPV-2.1-640x426.jpg

But when the battery in the "bar of soap" key fob dies.

Learned real quick to check that first. Car doesn't unlock with the fob? It's going to have to dock to start. You'd be surprised how many owners don't know that.

But the Exploder just wouldn't read. Battery in the fob was okay. No key detected.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: SLATRON

No turbo or AWD, but Chevy's current police vehicle isn't the Impala. It's the Caprice PPV, which is RWD with the 6.0L V-8
Caprice-PPV-2.1-640x426.jpg

Maybe in your area, in Phoenix they've all got Tahoe's and Impalas. Yes Impalas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back