1800 Miles in a 2014 Ford Ford Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Not a bad car. Had 7200 miles on it when I got it.
Drove it to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. To Flagstaff, around a bunch and Back to Las Vegas. The speed limit in some spots was 75. So I went 80 a bunch. Took it down route 66.

Good:
Car was super quiet and very comfortable.
Pretty decent MPG even at the higher speeds.
Nice Radio. I didn't use the Sync.
The N/A 3.5 is pretty decent. Not a scorcher but it get the job done with plenty to spare.
Nice brakes.
Interior was just as good as any other new car. No rattles or squeaks and it had good fit and finish. It was laid out OK. I had some issues with placement of things, but not a deal breaker. The gages were easy to read. You could cycle through them as they were digital.

I did not like the turn signal. It is a momentary type.
Like I said very comfortable, but small on the inside for its size. The center console is huge so it takes a bit of space away from the driver.
Like every other automatic transmission on the planet. I did not like how it shifts, but it wasn't horrible.
It is big and floaty. My only real complaint. I felt it should have handled better.
I don't like the styling, but that is a personal thing. The rear quarter panel creases look weird to me.
So now I have driven a 2014 Charger, 2014 Impala, and 2014 Taurus.

I like them in that order for large sedans at that price point. To be honest all of them make an excellent daily driver.

I have a 98 Taurus sedan, and it's pretty big car exterior wise. I kind of like the idea of a vehicle that is smaller and easier to maneuver/park.

I must admit I'm envious of the newer models. Though I'm not envious of the monthly payments. I have not had the opportunity to drive any of the newer cars you have. Taking the SHO for a spin would even be more fun.......

This is the anti-Japanese car, seriously. It's enormous on the inside ... but super small on the inside. I don't understand it!

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I have a 98 Taurus sedan, and it's pretty big car exterior wise. I kind of like the idea of a vehicle that is smaller and easier to maneuver/park.

I must admit I'm envious of the newer models. Though I'm not envious of the monthly payments. I have not had the opportunity to drive any of the newer cars you have. Taking the SHO for a spin would even be more fun.......

I had a 2001 Taurus - so pretty much the same as yours. It was easy to see out of and the interior was pretty spacious. The current generation Taurus just makes me feel claustrophobic inside ... and you can't see out of it.

CR says the fusion has more room and is a better overall car. I don't like the big center consoles that make a full size feel more cramped than a subcompact. Felt this in a '10 Camry loaner. I don't consider Fords anymore - Ford and I don't get along.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
... and you can't see out of it.

Instead of good visibility, in many modern vehices you must now have a back up camera and various electronic warnings for the huge blind spots. Boo.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: Miller88
... and you can't see out of it.

Instead of good visibility, in many modern vehices you must now have a back up camera and various electronic warnings for the huge blind spots. Boo.

That is one thing I love about my Cherokee!

There isn't a blind spot!

Now wait just a minute...big and floaty?
frown.gif

I'm not questioning you but I love my '11 taurus for being just the opposite. If you look at reviews from the debut of the current generation ( 2010 ), they mostly use "sporty" in the handling description. It has very little body roll and loves corners up to the point you overwhelm the tires ( and it doesn't take too much to do that ).

I love the big console and overall space as I don't care for cavernous interiors. I agree with all of your good remarks (except my dash isn't as "techy").

Thanks for your remarks good and bad.

My folks have the 2006 Ford 500 which was what they were calling the Taurus for awhile before they went back.

That model is based on a Volvo S80 chassis and it shows in the very good handling, amazing seat comfort, very nice looking, airy interior, and good visibility. The car is built like a Volvo too, very solid and surprisingly it has been very reliable except for the AC compressor at 90k miles that needed to be replaced.

I will agree that it does feel small inside but I do love the console as it places the buttons/knobs/etc ingood reachfor the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back