Ford Taurus vs Chevy Impala?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I call this the "Robocop Fusion" - See the resemblance?

1190074545_FULL_FB-E.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah the SHO had Yamaha motors in them. They were like the Pontiac GTP just without the bailout in 08'. If I ever had to buy a domestic then Ford would be my pick.

Originally Posted By: JDW
This was no joking around.

Ford Taurus SHO
1280px-1st_Ford_Taurus_SHO_--_10-03_zps224cd2df.jpg

My buddy's got this exact car and a green one also. Yamaha motors, were fast for their time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: JDW
This was no joking around.

Ford Taurus SHO
1280px-1st_Ford_Taurus_SHO_--_10-03_zps224cd2df.jpg

My buddy's got this exact car and a green one also. Yamaha motors, were fast for their time.
But still a Taurus

I'm not a Ford guy, unless it's a Panther or a Mustang and happen to have both, but the new Impala is hands down a better car than the Taurus. We have both models at work and when I need a sedan, unless I'm SOL, I always go for an Impala.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Yeah the SHO had Yamaha motors in them. They were like the Pontiac GTP just without the bailout in 08'. If I ever had to buy a domestic then Ford would be my pick.

Give it up already.
How about GM dies and just adds to another manufacturing juggernaut to the list of dead.
Without manufacturing America dies. Look around you. As soon as manufacturing got outsourced to China the American economy steadily declines,well the middle class does anyway.
Would you rather your tax dollars get spent breathing new life into a company that is currently employing people and paying them.
Or would you rather your tax dollars goes to the former employees as welfare....indefinitely.

And I though women held on to anger and hate. This gm and Chrysler stuff is outta hand.
Get over it. Move on. Have you nothing better to do then bringing the memory to the front of your mind so you can stew on it.
Sad.

The last Impala i liked was the ss. My friend had one with a 100hp shot of nitrous.
Off the line it wasn't much but once that tank got moving it was great.

I had exact same experience wiith the taurus..its ridiculous how cramped such a boat of a car is...its crazy. I had an impala last year and i hated giving it back. I had the impala with the v6 though..and it was a blast..fun to drive tons of space, comfy and loved the bluetooth connectivity..the taurus breaking down is likely a one off..my impala with 1000kms on it had a check engine light on tho..cleared it and it never came back. I wouldnt put these 2 in the same category..Impala hands down, no contest. Its the lousy oversized dash/console that ruins the driving comfort completely on the ford

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The Ford was cramped and uncomfortable with a tiny back seat.

I find that surprising because the outside of the car is HUGE.

Granted im 6ft 6 300lbs..my Corolla has more space than the taurus, not even kidding..and as someone mentioned..alot of blind spots in that car.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The Ford was cramped and uncomfortable with a tiny back seat.

I find that surprising because the outside of the car is HUGE.

Granted im 6ft 6 300lbs..my Corolla has more space than the taurus, not even kidding..and as someone mentioned..alot of blind spots in that car.

Wow! Big fella for a small car.

Interior specs of both cars:

2015 Taurus 2007 Corolla

Head Room - Front (in.) 39.0 -> 39.3
Head Room - Rear (in.) 37.8 Maximum Leg Room - Front 44.2 Leg room - Rear (in.) 38.1 Hip Room - Front (in.) 56.3 Hip Room - Rear (in.) 55.8 Shoulder Room - Front (in.) 57.9 Shoulder Room - Rear (in.) 56.9 <- 53.5

This is third time in recent weeks that I read someone saying their 2014-2015 taurus rental was wishy-washy, wallowy, etc. It's so disappointing to read that because I drove 2010's and 2011's two years ago and loved the firm ride and stable handling.

I bought a former rental (sel) that is well equipped but doesn't have all the high tech "stuff" that seems to give headaches to some. It corners and brakes fantastic ( for it's class ) until you overwhelm the tires. It's amazing how well it handles and brakes with five adults inside and the big trunk loaded down.

The looks of a vehicle is subjective. I personally fell in love with the taurus when the '10 was introduced. I saw hints of the mid eighties thunderbird in the front end which I always liked as a teenager. Standing next to it (from any position) it can do no wrong.

The interior is small for the size of the car but it appeals to me. I'm not into the cavernous interiors. I love the big wide console and the dash...it's all good to me. Again, it's subjective.

So sorry to hear that ford has changed the ride and handling of the taurus.

The Taurus is on CR's vehicles to avoid. They mention the same thing with the outside of the car compared to the smallish interior. They ask, "how did Ford do this disappearing act"! While there are smaller cars with larger interiors.

On the other hand, the Impala is on CR's recommended vehicle to buy and a top pick. But, this wasn't the only reason the Taurus is on this list, there are many reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHxQfYA9aBo

Last edited:
Interesting that they messed with the ride over the years. From what I remember the 2010 base got decent reviews for handling. Not great but ok.

I will say that the visibility is not that great due to the small glass area and general shape. I think that explains the lack of interior space, along with the REALLY THICK DOORS. The low roofline cramps things further.

All in all, I've had mine 5 years this month and I love the car. It's a great cruiser and does let me have fun in the twisties. I think my G35 was a better handling car but that was a 4 door 350z so that's to be expected.

It's due for a redesign so it will be interesting to see what they come up with - the crampiness has been brought up by nearly every review.

Last edited:
One interesting side note on all this Ford vs Chevy stuff. In California police agencies are not getting rid of their Crown Vic's as quick as they used to. Some agencies including the California Highway Patrol are rehabbing some of their older Crown Vic's. One auction house made the statement last month that the price at the drop of the gavel is going up. Evidently the Crown Vic is a good police car even though it's falling out of favor as a taxi for more fuel efficient cars.

It amazes me that the Japanese can build cars like the Versa and Mirage ... which, literally, feel bigger on the inside than they are on the outside.

And Ford makes an enormous car like the Taurus that is extremely small on the inside.

O
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Marco620

Give it up already.
How about GM dies and just adds to another manufacturing juggernaut to the list of dead.
Without manufacturing America dies. Look around you. As soon as manufacturing got outsourced to China the American economy steadily declines,well the middle class does anyway.
Would you rather your tax dollars get spent breathing new life into a company that is currently employing people and paying them.
Or would you rather your tax dollars goes to the former employees as welfare....indefinitely.

And I though women held on to anger and hate. This gm and Chrysler stuff is outta hand.
Get over it. Move on. Have you nothing better to do then bringing the memory to the front of your mind so you can stew on it.
Sad.

The last Impala i liked was the ss. My friend had one with a 100hp shot of nitrous.
Off the line it wasn't much but once that tank got moving it was great.

Re: the GM "bailout", the government wound up making money on this deal and has been repaid. GM bond and stock investors took the hit. While bailouts like this make everyone uncomfortable I think we can all agree it's nice to still have GM around, which may not have been the case absent government intervention.

What? No, taxpayers lost a lot of money:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-09...nt-motors-.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/...round-any-more/

And we all can't agree that it is "nice" they are still around. What did the bailout accomplish that Toyota, Honda, Ford or Chrysler couldn't do or aren't doing today?

Besides, they wouldn't have gone away, GM would have still been here selling cars today had they gone through bankruptcy. The whole notion that all the jobs would have been lost is absurd. The argument can be made that as a corporation they would be better off today had they gone through a restructuring.

And yes, I know that Chrysler and Ford got money too. So OK, retract that part of my comment. Restrict it to Toyota and Honda then.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Re: the GM "bailout", the government wound up making money on this deal and has been repaid. GM bond and stock investors took the hit. While bailouts like this make everyone uncomfortable I think we can all agree it's nice to still have GM around, which may not have been the case absent government intervention.

Ignorance abounds.

look up delphi and the poor folks who got nothing in the bailout. It was pure cronyism. It did little for taxpayers and LOTS for the unions.

GM was far too large to ever go away. They would have been restructured and operating in days after a real bankruptcy. Investors were ready and were actually a bit disappointed that they weren't allowed to fold normally and restructure...

Steve and I don't agree on vehicles but he is spot on. GM and Chrysler should have been left to fend for themselves. You don't loose many millions of vehicles without SOMEONE taking up the slack. Someone would have bought them and built cars. Some jobs probably would have been lost but not every job would have been gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back