Ford Taurus: review of rental car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mantooth
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

FWIW, the Chrysler version (UConnect) has actually proven to be quite durable. I was a bit apprehensive about it at first as well, however it isn't a common service item at the dealer. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle in for anything related to it other than updates. It is also pretty intuitive and easy to use.

My wife's 8.1 Uconnect grenaded during its last update. Took about 3 weeks for the new one to come in.

I agree that Uconnect is probably one of the top infotainment systems out there. The one in my Durango has been top-notch.

Was it bricked during a USB key update?

Claustrophobic with poor sight lines. Sadly, this describes many modern vehicles with higher bent lines, especially sedans. Gone seem to be the days of a real greenhouse feel, which is unfortunate in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
It is not possible to spread your knees apart, which was why I could not open the glove box.

you keep your glove box between your knees?

how's that working for you?

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Mantooth

FWIW, the Chrysler version (UConnect) has actually proven to be quite durable. I was a bit apprehensive about it at first as well, however it isn't a common service item at the dealer. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle in for anything related to it other than updates. It is also pretty intuitive and easy to use.

My wife's 8.1 Uconnect grenaded during its last update. Took about 3 weeks for the new one to come in.

I agree that Uconnect is probably one of the top infotainment systems out there. The one in my Durango has been top-notch.

Was it bricked during a USB key update?

It was during a dealer update. The wife had mentioned the touch screen wasn't responding and the radio didn't react when the volume and tuner knobs were turned. She pulled over, turned off the car and then restarted it. The Uconnect rebooted and was fine. She said this happened a couple of times. I took it in shortly thereafter for a software update and that's when it rolled over and died. I'm guessing it was just a faulty unit.

Of my two Dodges, the Journey has been the more problematic one.

We used them as fleet vehicles at work, I drove one for a little over a year. It was reliable but I agree, cramped for how big it looks. Mine had around 130K miles when I left the company, no unscheduled repairs. Besides oil changes, it needed brakes all around (front twice),two sets of tires and one tail light bulb in the time I had it, that's it. The transmission was getting a little clunky when maneuvering in slow traffic but it never had a fluid change and I drove it hard...

The only reason I wouldn't own one is the poor visibility! The rear windows and back window are really small.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: marine65
Sounds like typical Ford product planning.
Don't try to make it better just let it wither and die.
I think Ford is putting all its resources into SUVs and trucks.
Which is probably a smart move.
They should just kill the Taurus and be done with it.
They are trying to revive the Lincoln brand but I think that ship has sailed just following the Mercury to a watery grave.

I have heard plenty of guys say "Gee...I want a new Ford pickup!". Never have I heard someone say they gotta "have that Lincoln!".

I just read where you can option up the new Lincoln Continental to over $60K. Yikes!

This vehicle has never been one of Ford's shinning moments.

Sorry fanboys.....

Yet it was the best selling car in the USA from 1986 - 1995....

It's not for everyone but it's been quite reliable for me and the only vehicle I've kept for almost 7 years and over 100k...

It is getting long in the tooth though and I think it will wither on the vine as it's now the default cop car just like the Crown Vic was.

That Taurus and the current Taurus share the name and nothing else. (I doubt that ONE SINGLE PART interchanges.)

Originally Posted By: itguy08
This vehicle has never been one of Ford's shinning moments.

Sorry fanboys.....

Yet it was the best selling car in the USA from 1986 - 1995....

It's not for everyone but it's been quite reliable for me and the only vehicle I've kept for almost 7 years and over 100k...

It is getting long in the tooth though and I think it will wither on the vine as it's now the default cop car just like the Crown Vic was.

Yep and then Ford went with the "oval design" theme-lost the Crown to the Camry and hasn't regained it since.

I have my first Ford in almost 30 years and am not impressed with the Sync system. The Mustang is a very nice, refined car though. I just don't think Ford has anything better than Chrysler. Overall, Chrysler and GM are still my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back