Ford Taurus: review of rental car

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got back from vacation, some of which we spent driving a rented Ford Taurus with 10,000 miles on it. I never checked to see what model-year it was, but it was obviously new.

Good points:
-- Nice ride
-- Firm, crisp handling
-- Good brakes.

Bad points:
-- Cheap materials and fit/finish in interior
-- Front seat areas very cramped and claustrophobic
-- Dash and center console intrude very much on interior room
-- Was not possible for me to open glove box while seated in passenger seat
-- Instrument panel jumbled, confusing, difficult to read until you get used to it
-- Touch-screen interface jumbled and illogical, difficult to read
-- It is not possible to know A/C fan speed setting unless you first choose a specific screen
-- A/C fan speeds do not seem to be linearly related to knob clicks
-- Wiper controls confusing. Apparently, there is no one-touch "mist" control
-- Outward visibility poor for a sedan. Our 2015 Corolla has better visibility
-- Exterior plastic panel fit poor, with many uneven gaps and protruding edges
-- Driver's door fit badly, with uneven gaps all around (other doors fit fine)

This car appeared to wear its original paint. I could find no evidence of damage-repair or repainting.

Overall, an unimpressive vehicle. I really hated the touch-screen controls.

I thought they (Ford) were comparing it to Audi A6
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Tegger
I really hated the touch-screen controls.

Guessing it was the old Sync system?

Ford just came out with Sync3 and supposedly it's much improved.

we have a few in our fleet of poloice cars , constant maint head aches , 1 has been through 2 water pumps in 55 k miles

my chief is not happy they will be going away soon

My first impression of the current body style Taurus was that for such a large car the interior space was very cramped and inefficient use of space.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
My first impression of the current body style Taurus was that for such a large car the interior space was very cramped and inefficient use of space.

Good point. Fusion and Taurus both have about the same interior volume, but Taurus looks bigger on the outside. Taurus does have slightly larger trunk though.

I was only ever in one once and it is definitely shockingly small inside for how large it seems.

As far as hating the touch screens. I always do as well. Except Chrysler Uconnect, it is purely a cut above.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Guessing it was the old Sync system?

What I'm finding online tells me it was Sync3. The car smelled like it was only a few months old.

The fan speed is never displayed unless you first choose the "Climate" screen from the ribbon at the bottom. That ribbon is slightly hidden by the edge of the frame around the screen, making it a bit hard to see what you're touching when the car is in motion and you need to look quickly.

Whoever designed the touch-screen interface must have zero aptitude for aesthetics. It looks like it was designed as a school project by a grade-school student.

And the gas-gauge/coolant-temperature gauge combo is very poorly designed. They are side-by-side and use the same color scheme, but one is colored "positive" and the other "negative". It took us a while to figure out where the "needles" were for each.

Exactly what we thought.

I think the primary problem is how the dash slopes downwards and inwards towards you. That, combined with the extreme height of the center console, makes it feel like you're sitting in a particularly small bathtub.
It is not possible to spread your knees apart, which was why I could not open the glove box.

Chatted with a Ford salesman after hitting the parts department.

He said the Taurus isn't selling.

I HATE those touch screen things. Fragile, unengineered toys

Originally Posted By: Kira

FWIW, the Chrysler version (UConnect) has actually proven to be quite durable. I was a bit apprehensive about it at first as well, however it isn't a common service item at the dealer. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle in for anything related to it other than updates. It is also pretty intuitive and easy to use.

Ford wants young bozos who play with their cell phone all day to be a selling point of their infotainment center on dash.

I would not buy a vehicle with silly touch screen dash.

I recently rented a new Jeep Grand Cherokee while my Focus was in the repair shop for body damage. Many of your complaints about the Taurus I had with the Jeep.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Kira

FWIW, the Chrysler version (UConnect) has actually proven to be quite durable. I was a bit apprehensive about it at first as well, however it isn't a common service item at the dealer. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle in for anything related to it other than updates. It is also pretty intuitive and easy to use.
My Ram has the Uconnect 5.0, quite basic compared to the next version up. I would prefer to have a regular style radio over a touch screen but its not as bad as I thought it would be.

This vehicle has never been one of Ford's shinning moments.

Sorry fanboys.....

Sounds like typical Ford product planning.
Don't try to make it better just let it wither and die.
I think Ford is putting all its resources into SUVs and trucks.
Which is probably a smart move.
They should just kill the Taurus and be done with it.
They are trying to revive the Lincoln brand but I think that ship has sailed just following the Mercury to a watery grave.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I thought they (Ford) were comparing it to Audi A6
lol.gif

They touted SHO trim acceleration performance vs an Audi 4.2L V8.

Originally Posted By: marine65
Sounds like typical Ford product planning.
Don't try to make it better just let it wither and die.
I think Ford is putting all its resources into SUVs and trucks.
Which is probably a smart move.
They should just kill the Taurus and be done with it.
They are trying to revive the Lincoln brand but I think that ship has sailed just following the Mercury to a watery grave.

I have heard plenty of guys say "Gee...I want a new Ford pickup!". Never have I heard someone say they gotta "have that Lincoln!".

Bingo. You nailed it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

My wife's 8.1 Uconnect grenaded during its last update. Took about 3 weeks for the new one to come in.

I agree that Uconnect is probably one of the top infotainment systems out there. The one in my Durango has been top-notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back