Ford Owners...anyone had any oil starvation matters using 30W oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is some truth to teflon pistons. well kind of...

you can buy tefflon wrist pin buttons for certain kinda of pistons. but this isnt on the skirts, its just the wrist pins. it supposed to keep your wrist pin from grinding the cylinder if the wrist pin clips break or come lose.

its understandable how this tefflon buttons could be a story passed on and on and changed to be piston skirts, such things happen when storys are told time and time again.

some 2 strokes come with these tefflon wrist pin buttons stock, and more and more aircooled vw people are using them in high output applications. my only expierence with them is in vw applications, so i cant say if they exist for fords or not (they might but i never bothered to look because i dislike fords)

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Please do NOT quote that 5W-20 UOAs look so much better than 5W-30 UOAs because chances are, the bad 5W-30 UOAs you read are for a dino 5W-30 and not a synth blend. Doing so, you're comparing apples to oranges.
smile.gif

You are aware that these "synth blend" 5w20s you keep talking about are Group II/Group III blends, right? Which means they ARE "dino" oils, not PAO and esters.
rolleyes.gif

Metro Said
"The best way to compare is to use 5W-20 synth blend for like 4000 miles and then run 5W-30 synth blend (same brand if possible) for 4000 miles and compare"

I'm doig just that in a 2002 6.8 . I just added the auto-Rx when it's done the oil will have roughly 4300 miles on it. The current oil is M1 0-20. When I change it out it will have M1 5-30.
Making a long distance run and I'll change it when I get back roughly 5K later.

Ray

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:

quote:

Show me a bad 5w20 UOA in vehicle approved for it. Oh - thats right -they've all looked decent.

Show me a good dino 5W-20 UOA.... oh that's right, there are none. All 5W-20's are either synth blends or synthetics.

So whats the point? You agree there are no bad UOA for 5w-20 synthetic blend? Then just use it. Thats my point. Its been engineered to work, it works, just use it.

quote:

5W-20 is probably on the threshold of actually protecting the engine while being as thin as possible.

Not to harshly criticize anybody here, but again I think that somebody is claiming to know more than all of Ford's engineers and development by just looking at the outside of an oil quart container.

quote:

My reason to use 5w-30 in a 2001-up Ford V8 is:
If the same engine for the past 10 years has ran fine on 5W-30, and the avg lifespan of a mod motor using 5W-30 is like 200k-300k miles, why change it? How long has Ford tested the engine using 5W-20 for longevity purposes?

I wish I remember the poster, but somebody else on this forum made a good point on this. Back in the day, 30-40 (?) years ago everybody used 10-30 or 10-40 because its all that was out there. When 5w-30 became recommended, he said that he remembered everybody throwing up a holy riot and saying "thats too thin" just like everybody is doing with 5w-20 Motorcraft today. Obviously, 5w-30 made the cut as it is still with us today. I think there are people who are more "in the know" about this. I'll trust them to do their job, they can trust me to do mine.

quote:

Ford engineers actually tell you not to use 5w-20. lol. This is unofficial of course.

Ok. I'll say my point again. How do you know this? Are you a Ford engineer? Do you have their research data on hand with you? For as much as you, or I know, this oil may have been unanimously approved by all engineers after all rigorous testing. We can't just say this. I'll trust their engineers to do their job.

quote:

The only reason 5W-20 UOAs look so good is because they're all synth blends or synthetics. None of them are "pure" Group I/II/II+ dinos.

Could you please explain this to me further? In any case, why is it "bad" for these oils to "look so good?" Aren't they supposed to?

quote:

Please do NOT quote that 5W-20 UOAs look so much better than 5W-30 UOAs because chances are, the bad 5W-30 UOAs you read are for a dino 5W-30 and not a synth blend. Doing so, you're comparing apples to oranges.
smile.gif
This I never said. I merely stated that 5w-20 look good and I see no reason not use them. I never specifically said that 5w-20 UOA look BETTER than 5w-30, however I believe that they are just as good.

Pennzoil, Superflo and Castrol do NOT market their standard 5W-20 as blends. In fact Castrol now makes a 5W-20 blendm while keeping the standard 5W-20. Superflo can be had for $1.25 a qt.................cheap for a blend?
shocked.gif

BTW Pennzoil now claims it's 5W-20 meets Ford specs

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/DomesticMarketing/EngineOils/pdf/Multigrade.PDF

http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLEXSuperflo.asp

http://www.castrolusa.com/products/productpage1.asp?product_id=1&product_category=1

http://www.castrolusa.com/products/productpage1.asp?product_category=1&product_id=5

( Ford does NOT want your engine to last 20+ years! Just keep that in mind. As long as they keep warranty claims down, they'd HOPE your car breaks down right after the warranty is over - hopefully you're loyal to Ford and decide to buy another of their vehicles. )

Tell me would you buy another Ford if the Engine went out right after warranty? I sure wouldn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back