Ford Maverick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: parimento1
What was the point of this car back in the 70s??

What was the point of the Pacer and Gremlin from American Motors?..The Pacer made the perfect fish tank...Those had to be the ugliest cars ever...The Maverick was georgeous compared to them.

The Gremlin, for the record, goes down in history as the first American-made subcompact car.

Beat the Vega and Pinto to market by a full six months. Yeah, it lost the sales race in the long run, but the Gremlin WAS first!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Another bit of trivia about the Maverick is that it was slated to be dropped from the line-up in 1974, and replaced by the more upscale 1975 Granada and Monarch.

I don't know anyone that liked the Granada and Manarch...But they all liked the Maverick.

A Maverick with a 302 in it was nice!

The Gremlin, for the record, goes down in history as the first American-made subcompact car.

Beat the Vega and Pinto to market by a full six months. Yeah, it lost the sales race in the long run, but the Gremlin WAS first!

Gremlin was at made 30 years too late to claim that title.

Darned kids.

Well, don't leave me hanging...!

What is it?

Also, why do many automotive history books/sites/writeups ALWAYS refer to the Gremlin as the first? I didn't make that up, XS!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Can't believe everything you read.

True, but if I read the same thing in numerous places, it becomes more likely that there is some truth to it....and the question I asked still hasn't been answered.....

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
But the 429 Boss was even better. they were running them in pro stock...

Still are. They currently DOMINATE Pro Stock Mountain Motor.

My buddy bought a 73 grabber a few years ago for the 302 and c4.

The seller said the motor was all origional and looked like it had never been touched, and would smoke the tires till you let off.

But the body was rusted so bad it was scarey to drive it home. (and very ugly)

True, but if I read the same thing in numerous places, it becomes more likely that there is some truth to it....and the question I asked still hasn't been answered.....

I'd like to know it as well. Some how I was thinking of the Ford Falcon but wikipedia says Nash Rambler was the first. I guess you could say Model T as well...

Originally Posted By: Torino
The Maverick 428 Cobra Jet was not to be fooled with. I think about 100 were made. Rare. John-Las Vegas.

How in the heck did anybody stuff a 428 or 429 into the Maverick engine compartment? I spoke to a mechanic back in those days, and he said the 302 was jammed in there so tight it was tough to change spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

I'd like to know it as well. Some how I was thinking of the Ford Falcon but wikipedia says Nash Rambler was the first. I guess you could say Model T as well...

Didn't the Crosley people have a subcompact car in about 1948?

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: Torino
The Maverick 428 Cobra Jet was not to be fooled with. I think about 100 were made. Rare. John-Las Vegas.

How in the heck did anybody stuff a 428 or 429 into the Maverick engine compartment? I spoke to a mechanic back in those days, and he said the 302 was jammed in there so tight it was tough to change spark plugs.

Probably a similar method as used to shoe-horn a BOSS 429 into a Mustang, or the 427 SOHC or BOSS 429 into a Pinto.

amt-pinto-wonderpony.JPG

From the first 2 pictures in the thread, I think it's a great looking car. IMO the worst of ugliest cars from the 60s-70s are beautiful compared to the ugly ones now. Think scion xb, pontiac aztek, and that gawd-awful nissan cube. Ugh.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: parimento1
What was the point of this car back in the 70s??

What was the point of the Pacer and Gremlin from American Motors?..The Pacer made the perfect fish tank...Those had to be the ugliest cars ever...The Maverick was georgeous compared to them.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

Didn't the Crosley people have a subcompact car in about 1948?

+1

I saw a King Midget this summer. There was also the Nash Metropolitan. Perhaps we need to nail down the definitions and do we just count American made?

Okay, I know I'm splitting hairs, BUT,

The 'subcompact' genre didn't exist, persay, in the 1940's and 1950's - wouldn't cars like the Nash and the Kingmidget counted more as 'microcars' or 'niche' cars, as opposed to the more 'mainstream' sub compact genre of the 1970's...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back