Ford makes up MPG numbers too, not just Hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Buick Park Avenue, a 2003 with the NA 3800 engine, always did better than the sticker mpg: 21-22 city vs. 19, 30-32 highway vs. 29. The Regal is getting 23 combined, matching the reported 23, but only a hair over 29 hwy to the sticker's 30.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think big multinational corporations don't cheat on mundane thing like MPG.

What is the speed of the highway test to get highway MPG ? 65-70 MPH ?

My S2000 gives better than 27-28 MPG at 75 MPH while the EPA was 24 MPG. My E430 gives better than 26-27 MPG at the same speed of 75 MPH and the EPA was 24 MPG.

The city MPG is the killer, especially during the first 4-5 miles of driving before the oil gets to operating temperature and thin out.

I give benefit of the doubt to them until there is some evidences to prove that they do cheat.

I routinely achieve and beat the advertised mileage in all my vehicles unless I'm intentionally elevating rpm and "enjoying" the available torque supplied by a good ole American v8 puts down.
On the highway,which is a big part of my daily commute I set cruise at 5 over and enjoy the scenery and the fresh prairie air.
Once in the city I see no reason at all to be the first one at the next red light,so I take it easy,saves my brakes when I just coast,and saves fuel when compared to jack rabbit starts.
I will admit though when I need to get over a lane and an empty space is ahead of me I will get on the gas to get where I gotta go but I don't drive aggressively as a rule.
So if the EPA has a standardized test that is the same for all vehicles then I don't see an issue,and I'd bet it's the driving habits that are responsible for the lowered fuel economy and not the testing protocol.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
The ratings for my focus seem to be spot on. In mixed driving I get 29-31mpg, depending on the ratio of city/highway. Highway I get anywhere from 35-42mpg depending on time of year (gas), temperature, A/C, speed, etc. Pure city I get around 25-26.

Don't forget wind. Wind can have a big effect, either good or bad. If there is a cross wind you lose a little too, but a strong headwind is the worst.

LRR tires help a little. More and more new tires are LRR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back