ford-gm-mercedes-come-clean-on-ev-demand-weakness

Still waitin' for the big boys to get in...
Oops! Wasnt Tesla #1 at one time in Europe? Maybe I wrong but really pathetic what Tesla is doing business wise compared to what Elon Musk said they needed to do less than 2 years ago.
Interesting article on Europe:

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 10.37.56 AM.jpg

I was gonna post this. Figured we’d get all kinds of naysayers that don’t believe it.

Even with all the federal money to entice people to buy them, EV sales are failing. That’s the story, but nobody will listen to it. They’re going to continue to use lawfare to kill ICEs.
You do understand wholesale values of a variety of formerly popular/ in demand vehicles have also collapsed (and most are gas trucks, SUVs , jeeps)

With more normal interest rates and banks not lending there have been large retractions in the sales of more expensive vehicles.

People are buying down market and eventually the large slides in wholesale will show up in retail channels.

This isn’t limited to EVs but it’s across the board, GM is actually doing better in many ways than Ford/RAM because they have relatively cheaper vehicles taking up the slack from the wealthier folks who normally buy more expensive/ luxury vehicles.

The car market will dramatically change over the next 6 months, will wholesale values falling record amounts it will drive even more vehicle exports, god only knows where we will end up after things settle

Ford pulls the plug on EV strategy as losses pile up​

From the article:

"Relative to EVs, there's a lot we can do, and there's a lot we're doing. I think you're going to see a lot of seismic changes in the industry because of this pricing power reality that we've all faced," Farley said on the call. "It's on us to get the cost right. That is the issue with the transition."

Emphasis added is mine.

You do understand wholesale values of a variety of formerly popular/ in demand vehicles have also collapsed (and most are gas trucks, SUVs , jeeps)

With more normal interest rates and banks not lending there have been large retractions in the sales of more expensive vehicles.

People are buying down market and eventually the large slides in wholesale will show up in retail channels.

This isn’t limited to EVs but it’s across the board, GM is actually doing better in many ways than Ford/RAM because they have relatively cheaper vehicles taking up the slack from the wealthier folks who normally buy more expensive/ luxury vehicles.

The car market will dramatically change over the next 6 months, will wholesale values falling record amounts it will drive even more vehicle exports, god only knows where we will end up after things settle

What's happening is really independent of propulsion type, as you stated.

The automakers got used to building and selling the highest margin vehicles during covid because they only had so many parts, people didn't have a choice but to purchase what was available, the manufacturers were optimizing profit that way, and interest rates were low.

Now the supply chain issues have improved but interest rates are high. It's no big secret that upmarket vehicles are languishing on dealer lots. The manufacturers need to get with the program and build vehicles that people want and need.

My local Ford lot has dozens of 80-120K F150s that they can't sell.

Wait until Big Boy BYD gets up and running in Mexico, and selling Elon batteries. It appears they're eating his lunch in China, stay tuned.
Do the math.
Tesla outsold BYD in China in the 1st 3 quarters; BYD took Q4. Tesla sold more overall. No doubt BYD is a formidable competitor and not just for Tesla, and not just for the EV market.

Personally, I am rooting for the American companies and their work force. I do so with my money.

Do the math.
Tesla outsold BYD in China in the 1st 3 quarters; BYD took Q4. Tesla sold more overall. No doubt BYD is a formidable competitor and not just for Tesla, and not just for the EV market.

Personally, I am rooting for the American companies.
I did the math. I also know that Elon is buying batteries from them, as are others. I like US companies too, and love the USA, so don't go there. The reality is you keep saying you're still waiting for the Big Boys. BYD is the Big Boy, sadly not a US big boy, and BYD is growing even bigger.

Last edited:
I did the math. I also know that Elon is buying batteries from them, as are others. I like US companies too, and love the USA, so don't go there. The reality is you keep saying wait for the Big Boys. BYD is the Big Boy, sadly not a US big boy, and BYD is growing even bigger.
I never said anything about you or your preferences. I said "Personally".

I did the math. I also know that Elon is buying batteries from them, as are others. I like US companies too, and love the USA, so don't go there. The reality is you keep saying you're still waiting for the Big Boys. BYD is the Big Boy, sadly not a US big boy, and BYD is growing even bigger.
Indeed they are really

IMG_2108.jpg

Apparently Musk has no problem supporting BYD he is buying their batteries for the model Y at giga Berlin.

Apparently Musk has no problem supporting BYD he is buying their batteries for the model Y at giga Berlin.
Time will tell, most automotive companies use proven (ancient) technology, Lion was obsolete when Tesla first started using it in 2008.

Lifepo4 is a baby technology, under pain of death the Chinese can make adequate products but it remains to be seen if these batteries will have acceptable lifespans and wear characteristics for an American audience.
BYD, Kandi (and other) Chinese car manufacturers have failed wildly at entering our market in the past, reliability was simply unacceptable.

One interesting development is that the Chinese expect 3/4 of their domestic market to use Sodium batteries within the next 5 years, a cold weather battery that doesn’t require much of any heating or cooling controls removes most of the cost and reliability problems.

The Chinese domestic lithium market is a large user of minerals, switching to sodium will be a massive boon to worldwide lithium supplies

Explain this..

The truth is BYD has their sights set on Tesla and it sure seems like they have the right ammo to take plenty of business away from them.
This is interesting, it shows how normal buyers who are not interested so much in high performance (with low speed limits performance as a criteria is not of much value IMO) look at these cars.

Explain this..

The truth is BYD has their sights set on Tesla and it sure seems like they have the right ammo to take plenty of business away from them.
This is interesting, it shows how normal buyers who are not interested so much in high performance (with low speed limits performance as a criteria is not of much value IMO) look at these cars.

It’s always nice when you are given someone else’s technology and commoditizes it. 1995 era Goodenough technology.

I’ve mentioned non-flammable LIFEPO4 batteries here before (what they are calling blade batteries which is just a common form factor of prismatic )

The whole industry is moving to cobalt and precious metal free, what they are calling the blade battery is just their version of it.

Hobbiests have been using them for almost 16 years, much easier to handle than pouch or cylindrical cells. In an industrial setting I’m uncertain if very thin prismatics are any better than the more traditional tall rectangular units .

As for the review, gets a meh, drive it constantly for multiple years up to 60,000 miles then see what you end up with. Looks, screens, controls, initial ride quality are subjective and will change if the car doesn’t age well.

IMG_4990.jpeg

Last edited:
So why is Tesla and other major manufacturers buying them from BYD? Sorry your explanation doesnt seem to be based on facts just your own opinions. Tesla is well known for its poor build quality, poor fit and finish without driving it 60K.

Of course that's true; Tesla has by far the most EV market share. You can't take much from the other car companies because they are small players; there isn't a lot to take. BYD sells cheaper EVs; that's their niche. Tesla's biggest seller, which is also the #1 selling vehicle in the world, is the Model Y, hardly a cheap car.

BYD is not just targeting the EV market. Every car company understands BYD is a formidable competitor.
The question is, what will the the companies do? Tesla is well positioned, due to market cap, cash reserves and newer factories. And certainly experience. Their next release is the "$25K Model 2". It will be built at Austin and then the upcoming Monterrey plant.
Ford has wisely announced they are developing a similar product.

If and when these products are released, watch out Corolla/Civic. It ain't just Tesla and it ain't just EVs.

This. I told people five years ago that ev adoption will hit a brick wall after all the "greenies" buy one. Even Tesla is seeing softening demand, although a few people on here claim Tesla is still "crushing it ".
Same here. When all these US makers stated they were going to invest billions in EVs, my first thought was who was going to spend $100k on an EV made by Ford or GM. Mercedes BMW maybe. MB has spent a lot on developing high end EVs. Guess they aren’t selling well.

My two cents from the article - Ford and GM don't have the fortitude to be significant players in EV. Ford and GM will just crank out full size trucks and ring the registers. At some point the full size truck strategy will collapse Ford and GM, but for now it is living the high life for their leadership teams.

"Top executives of Ford, General Motors and Mercedes-Benz all addressed concerns over waning demand for electric vehicles this week, as the major automakers navigate losses and price wars amid an EV push that not enough consumers are buying."

They will 'ring the registers' short term....but long term they are doomed IMO....poor management, unrealistic union demands, short sighted planning etc... will be their demise. I was a 100% 'buy American' guy but not anymore for many reasons but if I mentioned the main reason I'd get banned on this site. I'll buy Japanese from now on...

Inability to independently service, or get replacement parts (for non-dealer service centers), & expensive battery replacements will doom Tesla resale-eventually people will realize they’re essentially a $60-100K disposable “toy” 2nd car, and sales will drastically fall.
You make a good argument against heart surgery here, as well, lol!

Back