Ford edge 2.0 noise after oil change??

I agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On my Nissan Altima VQ it would rattle for like a second or so and then purr like a kitten.

2 minutes.... I'd consider pulling that oil filter and putting another one on there.

That's just me though.
I’ve used both Mobil 1 and Motorcraft filters

I’ve used both Mobil 1 and Motorcraft filters
Is this the FL-910S as well? I have a ‘20 TC with the 2.0 but no turbo. I pre-fill the oil filter almost every time, but even last time when I was teaching my son to do oil changes and didn’t prefill, the oil light was out within 3 seconds. Try that next time but I agree something sounds amiss.

Sounds to me like oil pump is loosing prime and the cam chain tensioner is not getting oil for a while. Try some Quaker state or Motorcraft oil on your next change.

One more thing to add. I never prefilled the oil filters.
I only used FL-910s or NAPA Gold 1348.
I used the FL910s this time. No difference from using the Mobil 1 filter.

Interesting that this only happens at oil change time. All other startups never even see the oil light. Guess it’s time to talk to the dealership

The engine has noise until the light goes out and gets oil pressure.

Trav, is there anything you can think of that would make the pump lose its prime? Other than some pump failure, simply draining the pan shouldn’t cause issues. Could the internal relief valve be stuck open allowing the oil to flow backwards thru the pickup tube?

I let my oil filter drain too long on my 5.3l, it rattled terrible for 15 seconds or more on start up.. I'm going to pre fill my filter before I remove the old one, and swap it darn fast next time.

Oil light more than 5 seconds after crack is a scary sign, even after oil-unfilled filter change.

If this only happens during an oil change, all you have to do is pull the spark plugs and spin the engine over with the fuel pump relay removed until the oil light goes out. Pulling the spark plugs is just to make it easier on the starter.

Next oil change I will not change the filter. I'll just change the oil and restart the engiine to see what happens. Based upon the video above, I assume the oil pump will not lose prime and all will be good.....sucks that I'll have about 1/2 quart of old oil in the engine but that's better than running it without oil pressure. We'll see how it goes.......

If this only happens during an oil change, all you have to do is pull the spark plugs and spin the engine over with the fuel pump relay removed until the oil light goes out. Pulling the spark plugs is just to make it easier on the starter.

Sounds like a lot of work and probably would create more problems.

Back