Ford edge 2.0 noise after oil change??

I recently purchased a 2020 Ford Edge with the 2.0 ecoboost with 50,000 miles. I’ve changed the oil twice and had the same noise each time. The engine rattles for a good two minutes each time with the little oil can pressure light on. Then quiet and normal and no oil pressure light.
I know that there is some rattling after an oil change for a few seconds due to lack of immediate oil pressure. I always fill the filter with oil before installing.
First time I used Mobil 1 5w30 and a Mobil 1 filter. The second time I used a Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1 0w30.
I think the noise comes from the timing chain but, of course I can’t be certain.
I’m guessing this is not normal but I’ve never had a 2.0 ecoboost before. I’d appreciate and and all input!
After the first oil change we went on a 2000+ mile trip, drove 80+ mph, got 28.5 mpg, and not an abnormal sound out of the engine.

I think you answered your own question..
I know that there is some rattling after an oil change for a few seconds due to lack of immediate oil pressure. I always fill the filter with oil before installing.

Unless it is at any other time during engine operation, I'd say normal. Even if filling filter up.

There are a few rare engines you shouldn't drain all the oil out on or you will lose prime. Some engine in a Ford van in Europe.

I agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On my Nissan Altima VQ it would rattle for like a second or so and then purr like a kitten.

2 minutes.... I'd consider pulling that oil filter and putting another one on there.

That's just me though.

I recently purchased a 2020 Ford Edge with the 2.0 ecoboost with 50,000 miles. I’ve changed the oil twice and had the same noise each time. The engine rattles for a good two minutes each time with the little oil can pressure light on. Then quiet and normal and no oil pressure light.
First time I used Mobil 1 5w30 and a Mobil 1 filter. The second time I used a Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1 0w30.
I think the noise comes from the timing chain but, of course I can’t be certain.
I’m guessing this is not normal but I’ve never had a 2.0 ecoboost before. I’d appreciate and and all input!
After the first oil change we went on a 2000+ mile trip, drove 80+ mph, got 28.5 mpg, and not an abnormal sound out of the engine.
That is not normal and causing damage every time you do it. Try filling the oil filter and changing it before draining the oil next time, I think the oil pump is possibly loosing its prime. If no difference take it in right away.

Is there a way of cranking the engine without actuating the injectors? I usually pull the fuel pump fuse on older port injection cars whenever I disturb the oiling system (filter, timing chain tensioner, etc.) but I realise things might not be that simple on direct injection with the high pressure fuel pump.

Is there a way of cranking the engine without actuating the injectors? I usually pull the fuel pump fuse on older port injection cars whenever I disturb the oiling system (filter, timing chain tensioner, etc.) but I realise things might not be that simple on direct injection with the high pressure fuel pump.
remove fuel pump fuse, there is still a pump in gas tank or by it that pumps fuel into the high pressure pump.

remove fuel pump fuse, there is still a pump in gas tank or by it that pumps fuel into the high pressure pump.
I'm aware there's still a low pressure in-tank pump on these systems, but I vaguely remember a piece of VW service documentation which recommended against running the high pressure pump (which from my understanding is typically driven off one of the camshafts via a mechanical linkage) "dry" if possible. It's very likely that I'm misremembering this detail though.

I'm aware there's still a low pressure in-tank pump on these systems, but I vaguely remember a piece of VW service documentation which recommended against running the high pressure pump (which from my understanding is typically driven off one of the camshafts via a mechanical linkage) "dry" if possible. It's very likely that I'm misremembering this detail though.
that is correct, then I think priming with a bit of outboard oil would help with that.

Oil light shouldn't stay on like that. I like Trav's theory and possible solution.
Have you looked online for 2.0 ecoboost forums? Might find information there that could help.

It’s not normal. I had the same engine in a 2017 Ford Escape. Never any noise and the oil light went off with the other lights, after cranking.

Back