Ford Ecoboost: flip flop on oil filter specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a Ford F150 Ecoboost in the family now and the owners manual had an addendum in it specifying an oil filter change to the new FL 2055. The engine had a much smaller filter on it from the factory. Ford even specifies that warranty requirements dictate the use of this filter.

OK, changed the oil on the truck last week using this $21 filter and Motorcraft Full Synthetic oil and now I read this:

FORD AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTOR BULLETIN #11-049

To: (X) Motorcraft Warehouse Distributors
( ) Powertrain Distributors
( ) Motorcraft Battery Distributors
( ) Motorcraft Bulk Oil Distributors
( ) Accessory Distributors

Date: April 29, 2011

Subject: Stop Sale on FL2055 Oil Filter; Replaced by FL500S

Questions: Aftermarket Zone Manager

FL2055 REPLACED BY FL500S
FCSD has issued a Stop Sale & Return on the FL2055 Oil Filter for the new 2011 F150 EcoBoost engine.
· Ford Engineering Teams identified fit issues in using the FL2055, and have decided to discontinue this part number.
· The FL2055 has been replaced by the FL500S (Service Part Number AA5Z-6714-A/FL500S).
· Ford Dealership Parts Managers were notified of the change through DOESII message # 3593 on April 28, 2011.
· Ford Cataloging systems will be updated in the weeks that follow.
· The affected parts should be returned per the claiming instructions below.

RETURN INSTRUCTIONS / CLAIM INFORMATION:
WDs should to return all FL2055 Oil Filters (Service Part Number BU2Z-6731-A) as follows.

CLAIMS FOR THIS CONCERN MUST BE SUBMITTED BY June 1, 2011.
1. CREATE CLAIM THROUGH THE DOESII SYSTEM.
2. WAIT FOR PART RETURN AUTHORIZATION AND BARCODE RETURN LABEL BEFORE RETURNING
PARTS.
3. ONCE RETURN AUTHORIZATION IS ISSUED, RETURN PART TO SPECIFIED LOCATION.

PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ON ALL CLAIMS:
SHIPPER NUMBER - (ACTUAL SHIPPER NUMBER)
COMMENTS = FADB #11-049
RETURN REASON CODE = GI

This discussion is happening here:
http://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboost-oil-filter-going-back-fl-500-s-93039/

Oh, boy! anybody heard of any of this? I come to BITOG for answers!

I was actually looking forward to the new filter being readily available, since so many people want a larger version of the FL-820S to run on their vehicles.

Probably because they found that the larger FL 2025 simply wouldn't fit on some trim models/configurations. Or perhaps there were other issues at work with the filter itself?

Honestly though, I've never seen an engine design was greatly impacted by a filter choice OTHER then the effects of a bad anti-drainback valve. From the discussion on that other forum, it looks like Ford was using the FL-2025 filter as a bandaid for a larger issue...but I don't see how one full flow filter could be so radically better then another that it could cure whatever issue they were allegedly trying to fix (aside from ADBV issues). The only exception I could think of would be filter capacity and loading...perhaps they were getting clogged up. Or perhaps they were simply trying to increase the oil volume to help the extended OCI....whatever it was, apparently they don't need the larger filter anymore.

Quote:
Ford Engineering Teams identified fit issues in using the FL2055, and have decided to discontinue this part number.

This makes me think it is purely a fitment issue with some models. I looked up this filter and it showed it as huge. Bigger than a FL1A.
As to why they specd it in the first place, who knows? What Im surprised about is they didnt respec it for the FL820S instead of the FL500S.

Just going from my poor memory, doesn't the FL500S have a lower bypass valve psi specification than the FL820S? I thought it was about half the psi value.

Anyways, Ford went from FL500S to FL2055 back to FL500S on this motor? I don't think this change (to FL2055) applied to either the Taurus or Flex Ecoboost motors. It must be a F150 specific change.

It was F150 specific from what I remember from the dealer bulliten, the one posted is for FAD's. We never even got any in stock because from Ford you have to order filters in massive quantities, and neither of our FADs had them in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back