Ford 6.7 power stroke crankshaft breakage.

IMG_9809.jpg
IMG_9810(1).jpg

Found the pictures on my phone from when we had one of the broken crank trucks. The worst part about it is just like anything involving the 6.7 is the parts are always on backorder.

in the video 1 reason is the firing order 1 2

A lot of engines have cylinders on the same crank journal fire consecutively, Including the Ford 6.7L (#4 & #8), Ford/Navistar 7.3L/6.0L/6.4L (#1 & #2). Small & Big Block Chevies, And Mopar V8's (#2 & #1).
Ford 351W/HO 302 & GM LSx have 2 pairs of cylinders that fire consecutively on the same crank journal.

I've never personally seen a stock Duramax break a crankshaft, Mine has over 400,000 miles on it.

Anytime a crankshaft breaks.....The harmonic balancer needs close inspection, Let's not forget that MOST GM 6.5L diesel crank failures were caused by the harmonic balancer!

Place I work at has 20 or so trucks with this engine. 2 have suffered broken crankshafts. One with 170something and the other with 244k.

Seems to be enough of them breaking that they show up on an internet search.

Wonder why they are breaking? Junk parts? Balance issue? 800+ ft lbs of tq from a 6.7L engine?

When I was shopping for a diesel truck about 5 years ago to pull a camper I came across several Ford diesel engine issues. Most were 6.0L and 6.4L, but a few 6.7L issues. I found lots of injector issues which is usually due to poor maintenance and some rotating assembly issues like you are seeing. I settled for a Ram with a Cummins and haven't looked back.

Just my $0.02

The crank damaged the block where the main bearing rides. Ford does not offer a short or long block for this application boss won't do a rebuilt so the truck is going to be scrapped.

Nissan Cummins 5.0 also had some reported broken crankshafts...

Pretty common with Ford

So, the real question one needs to ask is "where is this crankshaft being forged/cast?"

The crank damaged the block where the main bearing rides. Ford does not offer a short or long block for this application boss won't do a rebuilt so the truck is going to be scrapped.

what?? There should be absolutely an offer for both, or a long block. I find that VERY hard to believe.

could find a wrecked truck pull the motor out, install it as is or rebuild that one

Nissan Cummins 5.0 also had some reported broken crankshafts...

Pretty common with Ford

So, the real question one needs to ask is "where is this crankshaft being forged/cast?"
I read on another forum that the crankshaft is made in China. I know that is going to generate some noise so I will see if I can try to find my source to back it up.

I read on another forum that the crankshaft is made in China. I know that is going to generate some noise so I will see if I can try to find my source to back it up.

if the crank is actually made in China I’ll be blown away. I can’t seem to find a source to confirm where it’s made. It is certainly forged steel.

it is a very nice piece of engineering to the eye out of the block.

if the crank is actually made in China I’ll be blown away. I can’t seem to find a source to confirm where it’s made. It is certainly forged steel.

it is a very nice piece of engineering to the eye out of the block.
I read that it was forged in China and milled in USA or Mexico. Of course I cannot find it now ...

Hard to tell for sure but the picture looks like a clamshell fatigue failure pattern. The crack started at the edge, possibly due to a high stress concentration from a sharp internal radius where it transitioned from the journal to the flange. Crack probably grew over thousands of miles until the crankshaft finally broke.

Surprising that he wouldn’t want to put a used engine in it (from a lower mileage wrecked truck) and sell it (or use it). If it comes out & is confirmed that the broken Ford 6.7 cranks are Chinese forged-that will be an Oldsmobile diesel 350/5.7 level event for Ford. Worse than the 6.0 PSD debacle.

The Powerstroke 6.7 was a new engine developed by Ford in 2011. Could it be that the earlier engines are now coming to their maximum number of fatigue cycles and depending on the number of cycles and how much loading was on the crank during those cycles, cracks are finally appearing.

Back