For Canadians; Motomaster European Oil

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
I can make out VW 507.00 on the label. That's a tough spec to meet.

I'm fairly certain 504/507/C30 is only acceptable in a 0W30/5W30 grade for those approvals...

Product management 101
31.gif

Originally Posted by Flying_A
Originally Posted by sohccammer427
I can make out VW 507.00 on the label. That's a tough spec to meet.

I'm fairly certain 504/507/C30 is only acceptable in a 0W30/5W30 grade for those approvals...

Product management 101
31.gif

It's a 0w30...?

The 0w40 is 502/505 approved.

Originally Posted by tcp71
CT used to sell castrol 0w40 for the same sale price as all the other edge products, but now it's $11 more for the 0w40 flavour. This may be an option when my stash runs out.

I noticed this slight of hand with the Castrol 0W40 as well. Those dirty [censored]!

I know this is an old thread but I am curious about Motomaster brand oil. I have always used their filters but never the oil. I recently purchased a jug of the conventional 5w30 since it was on sale for $14. What I am curious about is if it really is just rebranded Shell oil since it has their logo on the back. A lot of people always say just to check Canadian Tires Saftey data sheet but the link on their website no longer works.

I'm not sure of the regular (black jug) ones, but the gold ones that have manufacturer approvals are almost certainly rebottled Pennzoil Platinum. It's not worth the effort for them to recertify another formula change.

The specs sheets can be found on the product page of Canadian tire's website, under additional info... it will send you to a PDF link

All the specs sheet say right on the first page that the manufacturer/suppler is Shell Canada products

So yes, motomaster oil is seems to be rebranded shell

However, for example, it is a different formulation from the Pennzoil/quaker euro 5w40, according to the spec sheets

I have 2 Hondas and 2 VWs in the family and I plan to use motomaster from now on, it's the cheapest by far and meets all the required specs as far as I'm concerned... I have the 5w20 in one of the hondas (01 accord) and it runs fine, but obviously this is ancedotal evidence of my butt dyno... to get real results would of course entail and oil analysis,which would probably be overkill... it's a honda it'll run on vegetable oil 😂

The specs sheets can be found on the product page of Canadian tire's website, under additional info... it will send you to a PDF link

All the specs sheet say right on the first page that the manufacturer/suppler is Shell Canada products

So yes, motomaster oil is seems to be rebranded shell

However, for example, it is a different formulation from the Pennzoil/quaker euro 5w40, according to the spec sheets

I have 2 Hondas and 2 VWs in the family and I plan to use motomaster from now on, it's the cheapest by far and meets all the required specs as far as I'm concerned... I have the 5w20 in one of the hondas (01 accord) and it runs fine, but obviously this is ancedotal evidence of my butt dyno... to get real results would of course entail and oil analysis,which would probably be overkill... it's a honda it'll run on vegetable oil 😂

Previous discussion has mostly been on the OEPlus versions in the gold bottles. I didn't even realize they made a 5w40 in the black bottle. The gold bottles are highly suspected to be repackaged Pennzoil/QS Euro oils.

I bought 2 each of the 5w30 and 5w40 in the black bottles. And 2 of the conventional 5w30 that was on sale for 14 bucks.

The 5w40 has all sorts of german specs on the back:
1595869847158.png

Previous discussion has mostly been on the OEPlus versions in the gold bottles. I didn't even realize they made a 5w40 in the black bottle. The gold bottles are highly suspected to be repackaged Pennzoil/QS Euro oils.

The OEplus specs don't seem to match the pennzoil quaker specs either but either way, some good oil it seems

I would like to use the 0W40 (assuming it is on sale). The problem is that it seems to only come in a 5 litre jug and with our Golf R needing 5,7 litres I would need to buy two jugs...dont want to do that. So what I think I would do is use a quart bottle of my stash of PP EURO 0W30 for that last 700 mls.
You could always pick of liter of this at Walmart and throw it in.

70CECDF6-A2DC-4235-8DFA-F6605E5948A4.jpg7D55EED7-E5AC-4E85-B10D-7A6518CA39F7.jpg

If the Motomasters are the same as PP Euro, which one would be the one to go for? It seems like the PP Euro 0w40 is the better oil but lacks approvals that the 5w40 has like LL-01? If someone can confirm this.

If the Motomaster 0w40 is any good then it would solve the availability issues for 0w40 Castrol and PP euro as they are hard to find in big bottles in Canada.

MM OEPlus 0w40 - Made in USA
MM OE 5w40 - Made in USA
MM OEPlus 0w30 - Made in Germany
MM OePlus 5w30 - Made in USA

PP Euro 5w40 - Made in Canada for Canadian market, USA for US Market
PP Euro LX 0w30 - Made in Germany
PP Euro L 5w30 - Made in Canada for Canadian market, USA for US market

I would be shocked if these oils are not identical.

Back