Flight Sim tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded Infinite Flight for the iPad this weekend. Working on landing technique. Is there a website out there dedicated to helping amateur aviators successfully land larger aircraft?

In X-plane, I rarely had trouble landing. But I have trouble landing in IF. I don't know if either is inherently more accurate than the other in terms of control sensitivity, but they both feel about the same to me. The issue I'm having in IF is flaring at landing. If I deploy flaps a good amount, it seems like the wings generate too much lift, and I end up landing nose first. I seem to have better luck landing with no flaps. But I know pilots use flaps to land in real aircraft, and all the landing scenarios in IF start with flaps deployed. Does this generally indicate that my ground speed is too high, if I have too much lift with flaps?

I've been working on the CRJ-200. I've flown enough in them (as a passenger) to be familiar with them and I rather like how they look, their physical proportions. Are pilot checklists available for these aircraft such that someone on a flight simulator could use them? Things like, lower GS to 200 kts, deploy flaps to 30 degrees, etc.

Thanks in advance.

As a professional pilot, I'd agree with your thought that the approach speed is too high. That will cause you to be nose down with flaps set for landing. Try aiming for a landing speed in the 120 knot range and adjust from there. There is a good chance that your new simulator is "more correct" than your old one for landing performance.

Checklists? Google is your friend. Here's what I found in less than a minute:

http://www.atlanticsunairways.com/training/checklist_crj200.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Are pilot checklists available for these aircraft such that someone on a flight simulator could use them? Things like, lower GS to 200 kts, deploy flaps to 30 degrees, etc.

Thanks in advance.

We do the FMS for many aircrafts and the descent, approach, and landing profiles are different for all of them. You need to have a smooth transition from approach to landing with landing speed between 120-160 and flaps at 20-25. Also, be prepared to use the speed brake and make sure your gears are down.

Thanks for that link, and for the information. I'm normally decent with a search engine, but couldn't seem to find relevant information quickly, so I thought it might be guarded information.

Anyone here professionally fly the CRJ series? How are they in terms of performance? I understand the Boeing 757 is the "sports car" of the commercial airliner world; curious how the CRJs are in terms of "fun to fly".

Thanks for that link, and for the information. I'm normally decent with a search engine, but couldn't seem to find relevant information quickly, so I thought it might be guarded information.

Anyone here professionally fly the CRJ series? How are they in terms of performance? I understand the Boeing 757 is the "sports car" of the commercial airliner world; curious how the CRJs are in terms of "fun to fly".

I am type-rated (and have flown) the 757 - great jet...though, not sure I would use "sports car" to describe it - lots of power, good honest handling, nice jet.

The CRJ does not have slats...so the change in mean chord line with flaps down means that you will fly nose down (about 2 degrees, from what I've seen on the Jumpseat) on GS with landing flaps. Landing it requires that you pull the power completely and hold it off the runway for a bit in the flare, let the speed bleed off and it will settle onto the main gear...

As far as performance? It's...well...it's adequate...but not high performance...the ceiling is low, and the cruise mach is low...it's a cheap 50 seat people mover...small doesn't mean agile or high performance...

The crj200 is underpowered and pain for pilots, flight attendants and passengers. It can be a little sporty if its empty, low, and cold outside.

It does have an strange nose down pitch attitude during approach but I agree, if your are landing nose wheel first, your are too fast. I haven't seen the game you are talking about but try dropping flaps starting at about 200 kts indicated, and have them all out at around 140-160. Cross the numbers on landing at about 130-140. Chop the power at 50ft above, then hold it just off the runway until it stalls onto the mains.

I have nothing to add except that I look forward to buying this app and learning real stuff from this thread!

Thanks to all for further comments. I did exactly as Astro14 outlined... Come in like a lawn dart, but keep IAS to around 150 kts. Pitch up at the threshold and let it stall down. That's worked well, and was pretty repeatable for me for many reps. I also worked with the B787 a little bit last night with the same technique (though I think I had to keep the IAS a little higher) with good success.

JHZR2, I have both this sim (Infinite Flight) and X-Plane 9 on our iPad. Both have pros and cons. The graphics on IF are simply amazing for a tablet device. Ground graphics aren't stunning, but most of the aircraft are rendered in very good detail. You can tell that they're working with some of the aircraft more than others; the CRJ-200 is very well-detailed, with all moving surfaces animated (and animated very well). Some of the planes have very basic animation, or no animation at all on some of the surfaces.

XP9 is good, and offers more variety of locale and scenarios, but the aircraft rendering is not great. It looks much better in their marketing photos on their website than it really does on the iPad. There's also no autopilot (that I could see) in XP9. The AP works very well in IF, and really lets you admire the graphics of the plane while in flight, moving around the plane with the camera as it flies.

If you're an aircraft visual afficionado, meaning you love to watch and look at planes, IF is the better app. If you're really into actually flying them, and with additional variety of scenarios, XP9 is the better app. Or, for $15, you can have them both and get the best of both worlds. My favorite on XP9 is working with the seaplanes and landing on water. XP9 has some very good water surface modeling and rendering. I don't think IF has any seaplanes in its hangar.

Originally Posted By: sky7
The crj200 is underpowered and pain for pilots, flight attendants and passengers. It can be a little sporty if its empty, low, and cold outside.

I read something similar the other day. It was comparing the CRJ-200 with the -700, and saying that the -700 is a much different and better aircraft, more than simply a stretched -200. I understand the -700 has much improved engines, and I guess that contributes a lot to the experience.

As well as slats on the leading edge of the wing...the -700 is a whole different animal...much more sophisticated jet...more conventional handling and approach...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
As well as slats on the leading edge of the wing...the -700 is a whole different animal...much more sophisticated jet...more conventional handling and approach...

+1. Bigger engines, fadec, a better wing, slower approach speeds, a better environmental control system, longer range, bigger overhead bins, better brakes, etc...

I've been flying the CRJ-200 for the past 7 years. On a hot summer day, the climb really dropped off above, 20,000 ft. We'll be lucky to make it to 30K with 50 people. The RJ is a fun airplane to fly, the 200 is not all that great. They really improved with the 700 and 900 series.

On approach, we normally have a 2 1/2 degree nose down pitch attiude which really freak our jump seater out when they never rode on the 200 before. I had one Fed Ex (MD-10) guy grabbed my shoulder about 10 feet on the flare since he thought we were going to nose dive into the ground.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back