Fleet Taxi Test Using Auto-Rx

Status
Not open for further replies.
This test was done by Larry Lux (some of you know him and the professional level of his test criteria) This report is posted just as received.

Frank,

Here is the first part of the test results.

Taxi tests, six cars all Ford Crown Vic’s
Notes on tests:
All cars were driven by taxi drivers in regular service in good weather. Mileage was tested and hand calculated at the start and was compared with Scangage readings. The Scangage was used for all future readings. The errors were consistent, that is, if it was 4% off it was 4% off on every tank, for a given vehicle. Error rates ranged from 2% high to 7% high for different gages on different cars and since this test looks for trends not absolute values because we were using different vehicles the Scangage readings were accepted. One thing in our favor is that the same driver always drove the same car.

All vehicles were serviced every 3k miles and conventional 5w-30 oil was used. Each car was driven for 500 miles to get a base line for mileage and then the testing began.

Vehicles
1 & 2 received Auto-Rx and the driver was aware of the test.
3 Driver was aware of the mileage test but was told we were testing mileage with different tire pressure settings but did receive Auto-Rx..
4 Driver was aware of test but we used an engine flush.
5 Driver was aware of a test but also was told it was a mileage test with different tire pressures. This was also an engine flush car.
6 Driver was aware of the test but was again told it was a tire pressure test and received a gas additive which was really regular unleaded gasoline with a blue dye.

All vehicles were run with 40psi which is the usual pressure for the fleet.

Mileage varied a great deal between cars and is the result of very different driving styles. All vehicles improved their mileage numbers when the test began over the first 4 thanks of fuel. At the beginning the worst was 11 mpg and the best was 16 mpg during the 500 mile pre test run. The average improvement over four tanks was 3% from the actual start of testing.

The Scangage readings for gallons per hour at idle were recorded and all vehicles read .5 to .8 gph.

All cars were in good working order with odometer readings from 180k to 455k. The 80k vehicle was considered a new car by the drivers and the 455k an average vehicle that would be kept until it’s first major accident. Other than accidents these Crown Vic’s are kept until about 550k miles before being parked and used for parts. They are only put out at about 550 because there are rules about not using cars over 10 years old.

The point of this test is to see if Auto-Rx is worth the cost of the product and taking the time to add it at every PM (preventive maintenance)

The Auto-Rx vehicles (1,2,3) received 20 ounces and then 4 ounces every 3k oil change.

Cars 4 and 5 received a popular engine flush, one sold by dealers and the other available at your local parts store. The directions on the label were followed.

Car 6 received a very expensive gas additive. It costs about $1.88/gal (unleaded regular gas) plus the blue dye.

We did not do lab work and the test was aimed at taxi cab use so you don’t need to take shots at the fact that is does not meet your needs. These cars see more hard use and more maintenance than you are likely to experience. We tried to get pictures under the valve covers but it did not happen. The mechanics messed up the camera, and we never recovered the pictures taken. Also no one volunteered a replacement camera.

Numbers at the start of testing.

1. 15mpg, .6pgh at idle
2. 13mpg, .7gph
3. 14mpg .5gph
4. 15mpg .6gph
5. 12mpg .6gph
6. 15mpg .5gph

Auto-Rx was added and 2 engine flushes done

3k PM, 4oz of Auto-Rx added to cars 1-3

Numbers at 6k miles, after the second PM
1. 17mpg, .5pgh at idle
2. 16mpg, .5gph
3. 15mpg .5gph
4. 15mpg .6gph
5. 12mpg .6gph
6. 15mpg .5gph

Numbers at 9k miles after third PM
1. 19mpg, .5gph at idle
2. 17mpg, .5gph
3. 16mpg .5gph
4. 14mpg .6gph
5. 13mpg .6gph
6. 16mpg .5gph

Numbers at 12k miles after fourth PM
1. 18mpg, .5gph at idle
2. 17mpg, .5gph
3. 16mpg .5gph
4. 14mpg .6gph
5. 13mpg .6gph
6. 16mpg .5gph

Notes on cars 1-3: Drivers reported idle readings often dipped to .4gph in the day time when a/c and lights were not on. We checked readings on several new caps (vehicles with under 200k miles on them) and did not see any .4gph readings. We checks several really new Crown Vic’s, Police cars and several had .4gph readings. Please note that all theses cabs in the fleet are X-police vehicles.)

I have not put the numbers into a spread sheet but that is coming as I get the time.

More comments:

It was decided that Auto-Rx is worth the cost and effort on mileage alone. We did look under valve covers and they went from dirty looking but not sludged to clean looking where you could see the actual color of the engine oil on the three Auto-Rx cars. The 2 cars that got flushed did look cleaner but did not have that clean look of fresh oil and left significant deposits behind. It was though that additional flushed would be needed so as a side test we took a seventh car and did three flushes over 9k miles. At 3k miles the results looks similar to cars 4 and 5. The next two flushes showed little or no improvement. The compression readings on this vehicle never changed from before the flush to after the third flush.

The untreated engines looked the same before and after.

The Auto-Rx treated engines all showed improved gas mileage and the mechanics commented that they ran smoother and the plugs looked cleaner. I am still putting compression numbers together but all Auto-Rx engines showed improved compression and the flushed and non-treated engines showed no change. This the mechanics said shows that the rings where actually being cleaned and allowed to better seal the combustion chamber. They said that this would not only improve performance but would help to protect the engine oil. The mechanics all agreed that this was the first product they thought lived up to it’s billing. They said they were skeptical at first but after this test they agree that Auto-Rx works.

I’m sorry that I’m late but I’ve had some health problems and will be unable to supply all the data until after the holiday.

That is a nice post.

The mileage put on those cars is incredible. What is even more amazing is the fact that if you added in "mileage" for all the idle time these cars see that is alot of wear and use.

Last edited:
That is a good analysis. There may be issues with winter blends of fuel and different weather conditions, but if I am reading this right, the tests were over 12k miles. It seems that the taxis put about 55k/year on, each, so that would mean that there should be consistent weather and fuel. So I dont think it would be a point.

This shows the power of ARX!

Nice test for sure. On our Corolla, we have been averaging 32-33mpg(70/30-hwy/cty, estimated). As before, the BEST I ever could get was 30 mpg. I've seen the results for myself including the many other benefits of this product and I'll never use any other oil additive.

Fleet Testing Part Part 2 -3-2009

The taxi fleet test data has been extended out over a few more OCI's, also another test cab#8 was changed over from a lucas oil additive to ARX at the 15,000 mile mark. The results speak for themselves.

Results focused on gas mileage. Empty cells indicate mileage not achieved yet or not reported. Mileage is averaged over as close to 50 gallons starting on the first fill up after the PM..

Veh# 0K 3K 6K 9K 12K 15K 18K 21K 24K 27K 30K 33K 36K

1 15 17 19 19 18 18 18 17 17 18 18 18 18
2 13 16 17 17 17 15 18 18 17 18 16 18
3 14 15 15 16 16 15 14 15 15 15 15 15
4 15 15 15 14 14 11 14 15 15 13 12 15 15
5 12 12 12 13 13 11 12 12 13 10 11 11 13
6 15 15 15 16 16 14 16 13 15 16 15 14

2 vehicles were added, 7 and 8. Both vehicles received a Lucas oil additive at every oil change on the same PM schedule, that is 3k intervals.
Please note that at 15K miles on Vehicle 8, Auto-Rx was used, and Lucas was discontinued.
Notice the improvement.

7 12 11 12 10 11 12 12 10 9 10 11 12 10
8 14 15 15 14 13 13 15 15 16 16 16 17 16

...again, a ScanGauge was used in each vehicle. The readings were all off to some degree but consistent, that is repeatable and show trends, when is what we are looking for.

The maintenance dose was 4 ounces because these vehicles are in severe service and were a bit sludged up at the start of the testing. Otherwise 3 ounces would have been used.

Vehicles 1 and 2 showed the only significant increase in gas mileage. Compression figures are coming. I just have not collected them all from the 4 mechanics that worked on these vehicles.

A reminder about the vehicles
1. Auto-Rx, driver aware of additive
2 Same as 1
3 No Auto-Rx
4 No Auto-Rx, flush used
5 No Auto-Rx, flush used
6 No Auto-Rx, fake gas additive
7. No Auto-Rx Lucas every 3K
8 No Auto-Rx Lucas every 3K, Lucas stopped after 12K and Auto-Rx started at 13K

I guess there are two threads going on these cabs. I like this string better because it has the original info, followed by the latest testing extended out over 30K.

Compression testing on the taxi fleet:

Veh# 0K 3K 6K 9K 12K 15K 18K 21K 24K 27K 30K 33K 36K

1 111 120 125 125 127 126
5 112 111 106 110 109 111
8 115 113 112 111 114 128 127

..Average compression. We are looking for trends, not problems so we averaged 8 cylinders into one reading and rounded it off to the nearest pound.. Also we use a gauge that was off a bit from the Snap On calibration figures but it was repeatable, that is if the real compression was 130 and the gauge read 128, it reproduced the same offset on every calibration test. In other words, again we are looking for accuracy and trends. This gauge was very accurate but there was no way to correct it a few pounds.

Vehicle 1, with Auto-Rx came up in compression. Vehicle 5 with only the flush did nothing of note and Vehicle 8 went up after adding Auto-Rx. It actually occurred during the rinse and maintenance phase.

As you may have noted there are no photos. The owner of the cab company would not allow that as he considers this test an effort to gain an advantage over competitors. The mechanic noted that the spark plugs were changed on Vehicle 5, the flush engine at 6K into the test because the engine was running rough. He did state that the flush turned the oil absolutely black and the engine had to be topped off twice during the next 3K miles. It is usual to add some oil, usually about a quart between some oil changes. This results in sometimes having the engine about a half quart over the MAX line every now and then, but it is too much to ask the driver to work at adding just enough to get it back to the MAX line.

I can not put into words how much I love Auto RX. The thought of running a vehicle without at least a maintenance dose of it in the sump makes me feel ill.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I can not put into words how much I love Auto RX. The thought of running a vehicle without at least a maintenance dose of it in the sump makes me feel ill.

Have you considered a 12 step program?

Originally Posted By: XS650

It would have to be compatible with all of my other 12 step programs.

Originally Posted By: XS650

It would have to be compatible with all of my other 12 step programs.
crackmeup2.gif

Additional info from Taxi Man:

One other comment. A Crown Vic that is used to transport people that have been arrested by the Police to the local jail was tested with Auto-Rx. When they arrive at the seen of an arrest they are left idling. Often a prisoner is place in that back and locked in while the work at the arrest scene is completed. Often times this is an hour or more, sometimes as little as 15 minutes. These cars are often placed on weekends where they are expected to be needed. The mileage is very low and the maintenance plans for these vehicles include uncertain oil change intervals. This test ran for six months with 3,588 total miles added to the vehicle. The fuel usage records and log books show that this vehicle's engine must have run at idle for a long periods. It used 522 gallons of gas when one would expect for driving alone it would use about 200 gallons of gas. The comment that I'm getting to is that the test was prompted by the fact that this vehicle failed smog before Auto-Rx and passed after 6 months. The vehicle came very close to passing but did fail after 2 retests. The delay in retest was granted to allow time to repair the vehicle. No repair was done other than the Auto-Rx. Also the mechanic stated that the plugs were changed at the start of the test and looked like new at the end. He made the comment because plugs in other similar vehicles were often replaced during similar intervals of service under the same conditions. This vehicle was also driven a bit more and had it's oil changed at the beginning of the test with Auto-Rx added, 20 ounces. It was then changed at 200 gallons of gas and 3 ounces added for the next 200 gallons and this interval has been continued. At the end of the test this vehicle had burned 700 gallons of gas and was in it's 4th oil change interval. The increased driving also helped to allow the Auto-Rx to do it's work inside the engine. My suggestion for oil change intervals for such vehicles has been adopted, that is change the oil at 200 gallons of gas used. At the start of the test this vehicle used .4 to .6 gallons per hour depending on the weather and electrical load. At the end of the test it used between .4 to .5 gallons per hour, a small but useful improvement. This test does not prove that Auto-Rx will allow your engine to pass a smog test but does show that Auto-Rx did help improve the operation of this engine in a useful way that the maintenance people could actually see. It's possible that the oil change interval based on fuel used might receive favorable consideration by other maintenance groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back