Flatus Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there is proper English and then there is what we speak, Amedican.

---
I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.
P.G. Wodehouse

In my opinion it's just shameful when native speakers, regardless of their nationality, read, write, and comprehend on a 4th grade level. Ironically, those are frequently the same people who say that a person's education does not stop with a formal education, but that education must be a lifelong process. Of course, lacking the basics, during this lifelong effort of educating themselves, there is no time for acquiring such trivial things as comprehension, grammar, spelling, a comprehensive lexicon, or decent articulation skills. Who needs all that when he can get by grunting and gesturing?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
In my opinion it's just shameful when native speakers, regardless of their nationality, read, write, and comprehend on a 4th grade level. Ironically, those are frequently the same people who say that a person's education does not stop with a formal education, but that education must be a lifelong process. Of course, lacking the basics, during this lifelong effort of educating themselves, there is no time for acquiring such trivial things as comprehension, grammar, spelling, a comprehensive lexicon, or decent articulation skills. Who needs all that when he can get by grunting and gesturing?
wink.gif

All valid points. I would state that not all continuing self education is eclectic. It is often narrowly focused and typically not requiring the ancillary skills of interpersonal communication on a fine level to attain an advanced level of competency. Many do not have the option of doing everything "well" and penetrate many layers of the normal "broad spectrum" learning that our higher education systems try to provide. We are often forced to prioritize our resources where they are most needed. That's the liability of living in a society where chasing a buck is the number one life tenet. Now if you come from a place where excellence in all things is a cultural norm and individual achievement isn't necessary for your personal "feel good" self image (as expressed in terms of monetary clout) then you can afford yourself the time and effort at improving yourself to other people's standards.

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
Oscar Wilde, english author

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back