fl400s vs l20195 vs sfl 31516

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some opinions on a filter for my new to me truck. It's a 2002 mazda b2300 with the 2.3 dohc engine. I've used ST filters before and had good luck, but with this model its an ecore which i'm not interested in at all. Here's just some quick observations i've made about each filter. The fl400s is the smallest and has a silicone adbv. The purolator has a rubber adbv and the napa silver has a silicone adbv. With my filter mounted vertically is the adbv material of any real concern? I know there are probably "better" filters for more money but i don't think these can be beat for the $4 filter ranger for my planned 5K changes. I'm kinda of leaning towards the napa silver.

Last edited:
fl400s will treat that engine great for a 5k oci. The napa is a wix filter and would also be a good choice. All the filters mentioned will do just fine on a 5k oci. Use the one that is readily available and cheapest.

I would probably lean towards the NAPA Silver as well but any one will do fine for 5k changes. Don't let the nitrile ADBV on the Purolator Classic scare you either, it will last.

Quote:
.... The fl400s is the smallest and has a silicone adbv. The purolator has a rubber adbv and the napa silver has a silicone adbv.....

Afaik, the new Napa Silver Oil Filter line use a nitrile combo valve design, at least that's what they are now advertising. The combo valve combines the adbv and bypass in one at the thread end. Some including myself, prefer a traditional separate adbv and bypass design. That being the case, I'd rate the fl400s first because of the silicone adbv, followed closely by the Puro Classic, then the Napa Silver. That said, for 5k oci any should get the job done, but either of the first two would be my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back