FL-820S and Ecore's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following the whole tearing FL-820S stories here for quiet sometime. I just cut open 11 of the filters that were used on my 2002 GT, 2008 Ranger 4.0, and my uncles F150 4.6.

My Mustang and my Dad's Ranger have always ran Mobil 1 5W30. My uncle uses whatever on sale.

Of 11 filters, zero were torn. The Ranger is ran year round so its seen quiet a few very cold start. The Mustang gets started a few times over winter but ran hard in summer. My uncles F150 has a tough life...

I also cut open a wack of AC Delco Ecores off my Silverado and FIL's Traverse and Impala 3.6. No issues either.

Other than making a massive mess, and dropping a pile of filters and oil off at the recycler, I didn't really accomplish much.

The FL-820S's go back years and years too. Nothing torn. Waved as per normal. They were still holding lots of oil.

FastLane - I have torn two FL-820S filters on a 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L. In a climate that rarely freezes. Using 5W30 oil. Not extending.
21.gif

All the eCores and WIX filters are coming out clean as a new police man's whistle.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Not sure how yours tore. The filter media itself sure seems thick. Some sort of over pressurization???

Purolators are tearing at wide pleats next to the seam, right at where they are glued to the end caps.

Here is a Pennzoil (Puro made) filter off my sisters Santa Fe:

full-4879-7369-12.jpg

Glad you had good luck with them though.

As for the e-cores, I never had any issues wit them and would use them with no worries.

Not sure how yours tore. The filter media itself sure seems thick. Some sort of over pressurization???

I doubt it. Can was not bulged. The bypass valve is intended to open up at the correct delta-p.
First tear

New FL820S cut

Last edited:
The can probably wouldn't bulge and just blow into two pieces.

Thanks for the links. Very interesting. I just find it odd that it would test there. Without measuring I would guess the media is thicker on the Motorcraft than the AC Delco. Mine showed no tears anywhere. I would look again but I took everything to get recycled.

The can probably wouldn't bulge and just blow into two pieces.

Thanks for the links. Very interesting. I just find it odd that it would test there. Without measuring I would guess the media is thicker on the Motorcraft than the AC Delco. Mine showed no tears anywhere. I would look again but I took everything to get recycled.

In a cold start situation, if the bypass valve sticks closed then the media and core can collapse. If the pressure regulator valve sticks closed, then the can may bulge and leak or the gasket can blow out. Weather is mild in south Texas and I use 5W30 so a true cold start condition is next to impossible for this engine. This leaves a marginal filter. Aka, Tearolator.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back