FL-400s with torn media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
That's it for me. I'm going to not buy any oil filter if you can but it at WalMart!

D+, Fram TG/ Ultra, AC Delco? All still good IMO.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: buckeyejake
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Purolator makes Motorcraft oil filters.

Thank you. What would be a better pick ? I run mobile oil now ,like it. Now a new filter ?
Jake

If you sign up for the O'Reilly cash countdown, you get a $5 off $10 coupon each time you enter. Limit is 1 entry per day and sometimes you get duplicate code numbers.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3556778/1

That'll lower the price of a $12.99 Mobil 1 oil filter to $7.99, less than the cost of a Fram Ultra XG3600 at Walmart. I don't know what the M1 cross-reference filter number is though.

https://mobiloil.com/en/oil-filters/performance-oil-filters

The original Motorcraft filter for my Focus was a FL-2005. The Mobil 1 filter for that is the M1-211. It has a relief pressure of 11-14 psi and is 4.12 inches tall.
The Mobil 1 replacement for the FL-400s is the M1-209 with a relief pressure of 11-17 psi and is 4.75 inches tall.
Ford replaced the FL-2005 and the FL-400 with the FL-400s. The original FL-400 did not have an anti drain back valve.

Most of the filters that cross reference with the FL-2005 have a higher relief pressure than the filters that cross reference with the FL-400s. The Fram replacement for the FL-2005 is the xx8316 at 14 psi. The Wix filters are 16psi. The Fram replacement is the xx-3600 at 12 psi and the Wix is 8-11 psi.
I find it interesting that the FL-2005 was 16 psi and the New FL-400s is listed at 14-20 psi online but Ford said 14-18 psi on the phone.

Relief pressure depends on the media used. They don't need to be an exact match but should match the flow characteristics and delta-p across the specific media and design of the filter.

I forgot to add some info.

If your vehicle currently uses a FL-400s, and you look up a cross reference, both may come up. It will depend if your vehicle originally used the FL-2005 or the FL_400s or the original FL-400 on which replacement they say to use.

I decided to use the XG3600 in my Focus because Fram does not make a XG8316 and the difference between the xx8136 and xx3600 filters is the 2 psi difference in relief pressure. Considering the FL-400s has a range of 2 psi under and 2 psi over the FL-2005, and Ford decided it was a good replacement, I figure the XG3600 is more than safe to use instead of a TG8316.

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
I figure the XG3600 is more than safe to use instead of a TG8316.

Should be, the 3600 would simply go into bypass sooner. I have tried the opposite however, The PH8316 made my Jeep complain AFTER start up upon occasion I believe due to the higher than "spec" bypass for the vehicle.

The 3600 series filters are NOT as thick as the 8316's though, the 8316's are also spec'd for some diesels that operate at much higher PSI oil pressures I would not use a 3600 on something like that. I'm sure the can is thicker for a reason!

I have one Ford Motorcraft oil filter. I will go ahead and use it for a 3000-mile interval and maybe cut it open to see how it looks.

I use MC filters in my Fords and have never seen a failure. The Fusion uses cartridge filters and they always look fine.

I been gone for a while, recently back yesterday, with all these torn media, best to stop using motorcraft for now ? just to be safe ?

I'm done with Purolator, and not limited to their oil filters. If they intentionally do not respond to valid concerns having been given multiple opportunities to do so, then I have to think they have something to hide or don't care about their customers.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
I'm done with Purolator, and not limited to their oil filters. If they intentionally do not respond to valid concerns having been given multiple opportunities to do so, then I have to think they have something to hide or don't care about their customers.

so what oil filter are you plan on using ?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: aa1986

so what oil filter are you plan on using ?

Fram Ultra. And I'll let it go 15k miles even if I change the oil 2 or 3 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back