Fixing Freeze Proof Spigot Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can see in the pictures what I am up against. I cannot get that plastic nut off the valve tube. I am ignorant so I am asking your for advice. I can get put back together i fI could just get it out. I just can't get that plastic nut off the to pull the valve assembly through the wall to the outside. I would cut the copper pipe but I can't get to it.

It's a really knuckle busting area.

I called a plumber last week. Maybe I should just wait....

EZMS5765.jpg

UJBF5778.jpg

IVVO1558.jpg

Remove the two screws that are holding it to the wall. Might be some kind of sealer behind the flange that you will need to break loose too. Should pull right out of the wall if you have it disconnected from the inside.

If I could get that plastic nut off I would. That plastic nut on the end of the copper tube is too big to pull through the hole in the wall.

I guess I could tie my 4Runner to the outside valve and just drive really slow away from the house until that plastic nut breaks off.

No don't do that lol.

How hard is it to get to that fitting with a pair of Channel Locks?

I usually call my youngest son to get into the real tight spots because he is skinny as a rail.

The CPVC nut should just screw off the Woodford frost proof hydrant. I would try to turn the nut with slip joint pliers or a small pipe wrench while someone outside hold it from turning with something like a large crescent wrench on the flat area going down to where the hose attaches. Plastic on brass should come off pretty easily.

What happened to the hydrant? Did it freeze? I looks like from the picture that there is some kind of cap where the hose attaches. That should remain open so that the water can drain. The hydrant should also slope slightly down towards the outside for drainage.

Originally Posted by BigD1
No don't do that lol.

How hard is it to get to that fitting with a pair of Channel Locks?

I usually call my youngest son to get into the real tight spots because he is skinny as a rail.

It must be some type of glue. I have locked in vice grips on the copper pipe and wedged them against the floor joist.
I then try and turn the plastic nut but I cannot. This nut is on tight. TIGHT..

Originally Posted by Greatlake
Cut the copper pipe with a tubing cutter?

Can't get to it to run it around. Not enough clearance.

Originally Posted by silveravant

What happened to the hydrant? Did it freeze? I looks like from the picture that there is some kind of cap where the hose attaches. That should remain open so that the water can drain. The hydrant should also slope slightly down towards the outside for drainage.

I was trying to remove the quick disconnect on the outside and was really twisting it and I broke the plastic pipe on the inside.

That coupling is just PVC. Take a hammer and crack it open, and then a flat head screw driver to pry it off.

That coupling is just PVC. Take a hammer and crack it open, and then a flat head screw driver to pry it off.

Destruction...I like it. Will advise.

When they drilled the hole for the spigot, they drilled it too high.

The hole needs to come down a little bit. That way you when you go back in with another coupling, it won't be up against the floor.

When I installed one a couple years ago, I drilled it too high, and had to plug off the old hole, and drill another one. I got spot on second try.

It can't come down any more. Look at my outside picture. I can barely get a hose on it now.

Remove the two screws that are holding it to the wall. Might be some kind of sealer behind the flange that you will need to break loose too. Should pull right out of the wall if you have it disconnected from the inside.

Then slide the spigot out of the wall until it hits the nut. You'll have 8 inches of copper tubing sticking out of the wall. Then cut the copper pipe sticking out of the wall with a tubing cutter.

Slide spigot out through the outside of the wall. Slide the tubing and the nut out of the wall from the inside.

Originally Posted by Greatlake

Then slide the spigot out of the wall until it hits the nut. You'll have 8 inches of copper tubing sticking out of the wall. Then cut the copper pipe sticking out of the wall with a tubing cutter.

Slide spigot out through the outside of the wall. Slide the tubing and the nut out of the wall from the inside.

Thank you! I have the cutter.

Originally Posted by Gebo
It can't come down any more. Look at my outside picture. I can barely get a hose on it now.

Yes I see that now. Dang that's too close to the ground.

Well it is what it is then. When you install another one or what ever, you can cock the spigot to about 130 degree angle. Just what ever angle that it still drains, and gives you more room to connect a hose.

Any suggestions before I head out to the hardware store?

IMG_2026.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back