Fitting for MotorGuard

Status
Not open for further replies.
the original motor guard comes with restrictor orifice built in.
It is located in the center tube and it is part of the aluminum housing.

You could also get one from frantz, the once from frantz it is 1/16" diameter.

I got my Motorguard from Ralph Wood and from what I can see there is an orfice screwed into the brass outlet fitting which screws into the aluminum housing. Now when I first instaled the MG on my 94' Mercury Sable's AX4S Transmission I bought a Frantz 3/8" Transmission adapter and plumed it in with my MG. With doing some research I decided to drill out the orifice in the MG which is in the Brass outlet fitting which screws into the MG. I ran it for a while and then removed the MG. Now I have decided to reinstall the MG but I am doing away with the Frantz Adapter because in my opinion it restricts cooler line flow. Some here say they think it does not but I think it does because the orifice in the Frantz adapter is small and the flow through the MG is also not that much. So doesn't the orifice and the low flow through the MG restrict cooler line flow? I think it is better to just tee off a Transmission line and using that as a psi source and then returning the filtered oil to the pan. That way you do not restrict any cooler flow which I would think is a no no because the engineers did not design the cooler circuit to have a restrictor orifice in it. Now that I am going to be using the dipstick tube as a return to the pan I would think I am going to need a smaller orifice in the outlet fitting of the MG right?

The restrictor orifice for motorguard and frantz is when using the filter for the motor oil in bypass mode.

When using it as a fuel filter or transmission filter you should not use the restrictor.

Buy using a T instead of the frantz adapter, you could reduce the flow of oil to the filter to much, so you risk filtering little oil, however there would not be damage to the transmission since most of the oil would have the normal flow, this setup could work if the oil pressure is very high.
The reason the flow to the filter would greatly reduced, is that the T does not have a restrictor, and the frantz transmission adapter does, I would recommend to use the franz adapter, but drill the restrictor orifice to the proper size.

The frantz transmission adapter has an orifice in the center, if the orifice is too small it will restrict to much oil going to the transmission which is not good, if the orifice is too large it will restrict too much oil going through the frantz filter this is also no good.

One safe way to solve this problem is during testing plug the end of the transmission adapter after the orifice, and on the end before the orifice plug an oil pressure gauge, check the oil pressure under different conditions.

Then using a slightly larger drill bit then the size of the orifice, drill a slightly larger hole, and check oil pressure again.
Repeat this process, the idea is too find the largest orifice but at the same time too have pressure to the frantz filter, so that oil circulates to the frantz filter.

When drilling take the adapter out, and clean it before installing.

The other option is to ask someone for the orifice size for a same type of transmission of someone that has done this already.

This way if the frantz were to get clogged very little oil would be restricted from the transmission.

Remember when drilling it is the area of the restrictor that has to be gradually incremented, so a little increase in diameter is a much larger increase in area, so when drilling use the smallest possible increments, after all if you drill to little you can always drill more, however if you drill to much to the point in which there is no oil going to the frantz filter you ruined the adapter.

Remember on average only 1 to 2 quarts of oil will go through the filter per minute, the flow to the transmission is much higher.

Originally Posted By: sergio1
The restrictor orifice for motorguard and frantz is when using the filter for the motor oil in bypass mode.

When using it as a fuel filter or transmission filter you should not use the restrictor.

Buy using a T instead of the frantz adapter, you could reduce the flow of oil to the filter to much, so you risk filtering little oil, however there would not be damage to the transmission since most of the oil would have the normal flow, this setup could work if the oil pressure is very high.
The reason the flow to the filter would greatly reduced, is that the T does not have a restrictor, and the frantz transmission adapter does, I would recommend to use the franz adapter, but drill the restrictor orifice to the proper size.

The frantz transmission adapter has an orifice in the center, if the orifice is too small it will restrict to much oil going to the transmission which is not good, if the orifice is too large it will restrict too much oil going through the frantz filter this is also no good.

One safe way to solve this problem is during testing plug the end of the transmission adapter after the orifice, and on the end before the orifice plug an oil pressure gauge, check the oil pressure under different conditions.

Then using a slightly larger drill bit then the size of the orifice, drill a slightly larger hole, and check oil pressure again.
Repeat this process, the idea is too find the largest orifice but at the same time too have pressure to the frantz filter, so that oil circulates to the frantz filter.

When drilling take the adapter out, and clean it before installing.

The other option is to ask someone for the orifice size for a same type of transmission of someone that has done this already.

This way if the frantz were to get clogged very little oil would be restricted from the transmission.

Remember when drilling it is the area of the restrictor that has to be gradually incremented, so a little increase in diameter is a much larger increase in area, so when drilling use the smallest possible increments, after all if you drill to little you can always drill more, however if you drill to much to the point in which there is no oil going to the frantz filter you ruined the adapter.

Remember on average only 1 to 2 quarts of oil will go through the filter per minute, the flow to the transmission is much higher.

But what I don't understand is that how is installing the Motorguard with only a T in the cooler line any different from when you would find a PSI source from the engine, say the Oil psi switch
21.gif
Then you would install a T in the Port that the psi switch screws into and then screw the psi switch into one port of the T, so your idiot light still works, and then a barbed fitting into the last availiable port of the T. The engine oil would flow from the T to the Motorguard and go through the TP and then hit the restrictor and go to a non pressurized return source like the pan or oil fill cap.

So If I install a T in one of my AX4S's cooler lines that is usually pressurized from 30 psi to 40 psi then how is that oil psi source different from an engine oil psi source? The T in the cooler line would be exposed to 30-40 psi of ATF right? So I would think that the T would supply plenty of ATF to the Motorguard and the TP would be doing most of the restricting to the ATF as it flows through the roll of TP. Then the ATF would complete it's path through the TP and then hit the restrictor in the oultet fitting of the Motorguard and then travel through a hose to the dipstick.

My concern is that no matter what the Frantz adapter restricts ATF flow because of the orifice in the adapter and the slow flow through the Motorguard. So instead of worrying about restricted cooler line flow which would cause the tranny to run hotter and reduce lubrication flow. Why not just put a T in a cooler line and stick a rubber hose down the dipstick tube for a return?

It is very different, in the case of the engine the oil is not flowing through the oil tube gauge, it does flow until it reaches the gauge and then there is now more flow.

One of the purposes for the restrictor in case of motor oil, it is so that the oil pressure is not reduced, and to make the oil go slowly through the filter.

In the case of the transmission the oil is flowing though the hose, so in the case of the frantz transmission adapter in order to create pressure to the oil filter there is a center orifice which reduces the flow to the transmission, that is the pressure before the orifice will be higher than the pressure after the orifice, since the area of the orifice is smaller than the area of the adapter before the orifice, since there is a difference in pressure before and after the orifice this will create pressure for the filter.
When the filter is used in the transmission the built in orifice in the filter it is not needed, but I do not think it will hurt either, since the flow is controlled by the pressure created by the frantz transmission adapter.

It is important to not reduce the flow of oil to the transmission too much otherwise you risk overheating, and lack of lubrication.

If you use a T instead of the frantz adapter, the flow to the transmission will not be reduced, however you will have very little or no oil going to the frantz filter.

I would recommend to use the frantz adapter but to increase the size of the orifice in such a way that you do not reduce the flow to the transmission too much, and get some flow to the frantz filter.

Using the T would work if you put a restrictor on the oil going to the transmission, but that would be very similar to using the frantz adapter, using a T without a restrictor would be similar to drilling out completely the orifice in the frantz adapter, and in that case there would be no oil flow through the filter or very little.

Originally Posted By: sergio1
It is very different, in the case of the engine the oil is not flowing through the oil tube gauge, it does flow until it reaches the gauge and then there is now more flow.

One of the purposes for the restrictor in case of motor oil, it is so that the oil pressure is not reduced, and to make the oil go slowly through the filter.

In the case of the transmission the oil is flowing though the hose, so in the case of the frantz transmission adapter in order to create pressure to the oil filter there is a center orifice which reduces the flow to the transmission, that is the pressure before the orifice will be higher than the pressure after the orifice, since the area of the orifice is smaller than the area of the adapter before the orifice, since there is a difference in pressure before and after the orifice this will create pressure for the filter.
When the filter is used in the transmission the built in orifice in the filter it is not needed, but I do not think it will hurt either, since the flow is controlled by the pressure created by the frantz transmission adapter.

It is important to not reduce the flow of oil to the transmission too much otherwise you risk overheating, and lack of lubrication.

If you use a T instead of the frantz adapter, the flow to the transmission will not be reduced, however you will have very little or no oil going to the frantz filter.

I would recommend to use the frantz adapter but to increase the size of the orifice in such a way that you do not reduce the flow to the transmission too much, and get some flow to the frantz filter.

Using the T would work if you put a restrictor on the oil going to the transmission, but that would be very similar to using the frantz adapter, using a T without a restrictor would be similar to drilling out completely the orifice in the frantz adapter, and in that case there would be no oil flow through the filter or very little.

But why is the flow slower with only a T in the cooler line? The psi in the cooler line is around 30-40 psi so as the ATF is flowing through the cooler line the oil would come to the T and then flow through it right? I realize the oil is flowing by the T but the oil is also under 30-40 psi so why is the flow slower or is it?

well the only way to really know is to put a pressure gauge at the T and if you do have such a pressure then it will work.

But the main reason for the frantz restrictor is to create pressure for the filter.

Using a oil pressure gauge to will find out for sure, at harbor freight the have low quality equipment at very low prices, they are good for things you will be using very little you can get a oil pressure gauge for about $20.

I believe returning the oil to the dipstick will be difficult, since it requires modification to the dipstick tube to add a fitting for the hose, it is much easier to use the frantz adapter, just drill out restrictor a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back