How Can Both Part Numbers Be The Right One?

Well, after 24 years of faithful service, the Lesabre's Compressor went all sparky on me and there are now metal shards surrounding the compressor clutch. In my search for replacement parts, I have a Delphi Technologies Compressor, a GM Drier/Evaporator, and am trying to purchase the 'CORRECT' orifice tube. A search at Parts Avatar brings up several but just under the AC Delco label, there are two that both say they 'fit' my car, but if you open up the first 2 tube links on the list, they are not shaped the same. (one end of the tubes is formed differently and has 2 O-rings instead of 1. Can anyone verify if either will work or why these look as if they were designed to a somewhat different spec? PA got back to me and told me to purchase the second one on the list (its 5 x as expensive as the other) and they said that the first tube listing is in error, but then they have not altered their site so here I am. I dont mind paying the $50 ,but I just need to ensure that I'm getting the correct part as my shop has left it to me to get the parts. (They mentioned that their supplier has none of these parts and left it to me).

If any of you sage gurus of autodom would kindly take a look at the first two orifice tubes on this link and compare the photos of each, I would so appreciate any guidance. This car may be 24 years old, but it only has 95K on the Odom and she's been a garage queen all her life and I'd like to keep her on the road as long as is practical.
Thank you kindly,

Last edited:
Looks like one is severe service

The "severe" one is different than the two the OP was talking about.

I believe the cheap one (15-5754) is a fixed orifice and the more expensive (15-50120) is a variable orifice. (The variable orifice for severe climates is 15-50122.) My guess is that either one will work fine. Discussion on this forum suggests that variable orifice tubes are a little less reliable than fixed. But the variable orifice should (in theory at least) work more efficiently.

I think the one I got is the ACDELCO 1550120. I remember it being red and being ACDELCO.

I didn't know about the severe duty one. That's got me curious.

Back