First turbo vehicle for me....oil thoughts?

We just bought a 2015 Santa Fe with the 2.0 GDI turbo. I have never owned a turbo car before. Of course I find out these engines have issues with oil consumption and bearing failure. The engine has been replaced (Long block).

So I am a full syn, better filter 5,000 mile oci guy on my previous vehicles. The vehicle won't be abused and might see 7,000 miles a year.

I am seriously considering running either Amsoil or HPL in it as an extra cushion of protection. Your oil thoughts please?

We just bought a 2015 Santa Fe with the 2.0 GDI turbo. I have never owned a turbo car before. Of course I find out these engines have issues with oil consumption and bearing failure. The engine has been replaced (Long block).

So I am a full syn, better filter 5,000 mile oci guy on my previous vehicles. The vehicle won't be abused and might see 7,000 miles a year.

I am seriously considering running either Amsoil or HPL in it as an extra cushion of protection. Your oil thoughts please?
I like amsoil and HPL, But if you have a warranty to stick to, read the print, and keep records. Granted i am not following it on my truck as i am 2 years on the fill, with about 4500 miles on the oil.

For that engine, any oil is not going to help a failure prone engine. I'd keep it simple and trade it asap.

How many miles on the vehicle?
How many miles on the long block?
The turbos we had required an A3, B3 oil to resist heat. Then you saw A3, B4 marked on the bottles.
However, aren't there oils designed for use in GDI engines which resist the build up of intake crud?
Maybe a turbo diesel oil?

Last edited:
HPL PCEO 5W-30/40 with a fram endurance filter.
take a sample at 6K and send to wear check to check for fuel dilution. if fuel dilution can be managed i’d say try for 12k OCI’s like i am on the accord.

How many miles on the vehicle?
How many miles on the long block?
The turbos we had required an A3, B3 oil to resist heat. Then you saw A3, B4 marked on the bottles.
However, aren't there oils designed for use in GDI engines which resist the build up of intake crud?
109,000 on vehicle. 9,000 on new engine

I'm also in a similar situation with my first turbocharged car (a Hyundai). I chose HPL NO VII to clean out the deposits in the rings and turbo. At least for the first couple OCIs on a used car I think it's an excellent idea to clean the engine and turbo.

I'm also in a similar situation with my first turbocharged car (a Hyundai). I chose HPL NO VII to clean out the deposits in the rings and turbo. At least for the first couple OCIs on a used car I think it's an excellent idea to clean the engine and turbo.
How many miles?

Might be dated info now, but Hyundai made a TSB to use 5W40 instead of 5W30 as on the oil fill cap.

Type in Hyundai 16-20-001 and search on Google images for the TSB. The TSB could be dated and have been superseded since.

This pic below is not the TSB, this is from a 2015 Hyundai owners manual PDF.

Screenshot 2024-03-30 174641.jpg

Kia Soul + 2.0 non-turbo GDI owner here. Consulting with the owner's manual, I've concluded that my driving patterns are not quite severe service, but the oil in my car is absolutely shot by about 6000 miles with some engine clatter on cold starts. I follow the following maintenance schedule:
  • Oil and filter change every 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first.
  • Techron fuel system cleaner every 3 months or 2500 miles, whichever comes first.
  • Top Tier gasoline at every fill-up
With your turbo 2.0's 6000 mile normal usage/3000 miles severe service change interval, an oil and filter change at 6 months or 4000 miles sounds like a good starting point to me. And, it's good news indeed that the long block has recently been replaced.

Back