First Snow of the Year

Ours came yesterday in Iowa. Only got about 1 inch here. Problem was it melted when it hit the pavement, then turned into ice.
Wrecks galore and cars in the ditches! Same offenders as usual when they won't slow down. Now we have phones to throw into the occasion and people not paying attention. My Son-in-law works for the county here. He was out 4 hours this AM spreading sand and salt.

Have you folks had your first snow yet?

first snow was a month ago. we have about 6 inches on the ground currently. 3 days ago we had our first fairly cold day. temperature was -22 celcius. i dislike winter very much. yet, i also dislike very warm weather.

Had about 2 inches here on the NE side of the Kansas City metro. That was in bushes and flat top objects. Very little on concrete and streets. The snow really never accumulated on blacktop. Was pretty though this morning. Mostly gone now.

Ashtabula is forecast for upto 15"
brrr.

Just did the 8 trips from the basement with the winter tires.. probably install weds.

Since they are only on the car 3.5-5 months the other set stays in the breezeway for winter..
only have to carry them up and back 1 time.

Last edited:
This is our second significant snowfall of the season. Last time was 8" and this time it was about 12". The most recent snow was super fluffy and compresses so quickly that there was about 6" left today. The sun has been shinning, which will melt half of what is left by tonight. Temps in the 50s this week, so all the snow will be gone by Wednesday. Fine by me.

First since Halloween. Neighbor across the street used his cord powered snowblower (I didn't know they existed) to remove the 1" of accumulation. I'm on the north side of the road, so nothing on the driveway for me ;) I'd expect my grass to return tomorrow.

We got our first in NE Oklahoma last night, about an inch. But today it all melted. If it’s going to be under 30 F, I prefer to see the winter (snowy landscape) as well as feel it.

Z

Back