First oil filter you ever installed or used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cartridge oil filter, 1993ish. I don't remember if it was ACDelco or Napa Gold, but I do remember wearing a quart and a half of filthy sludge on the front of my shirt when it spilled on me.

Napa Gold since the Napa parts store was in another neighborhood across the highway so it was a quick bike ride there. It was not until I joined BITOG to find out they were WIX filters (and the existence of other filter brands.) Only drama-free filter I will continue to use until I die.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
My Dad had a station from '55-'79 then he retired. We used Purolator when I started working with him in 1970. IDK what he used prior!

After Dad retired, I did use quite a few Lee oil filters.

It was a Fram of some sort on my '88 Plymouth Sundance in '94.

I used a lot of those Fram "Double Guard" filters in the mid 90s, because I bought into the marketing jazz.

Fram PH3980 on my 1997 Chevy S10.

I don't miss that truck. The week after I bought it home it needed $1100 in transmission work. A month later it needed an alternator. A month later it needed oil cooler lines to the tune of almost $400. The A/C dying was the last straw.

Ah, memories.

Last edited:
Mine was a purolator pure one, frankly at the time I didn't know much about them and it had the best package marketing at meijer. Used that with PYB.

Mine was a mid 1980's Wal-Mart house brand "Tech 2000" oil filter that came in a weird clear plastic dome packaging. Have no idea who the OEM was that made them for Wal-Mart back then.

Would've been an orange can no doubt, though I don't exactly remember it but that was all I ever used for the first 20-25 years of doing oil changes.

Don't quite remember, but it would have been a Fram or a Lee.
This would have been in 1978 on my 1973 Vega wagon.
I used a number of both over the years before settling on Fram, following a mid 'eighties oil filter test I saw in Consumer Reports.
I used the orange can for many years after that and still use them now and then.
I never did join the Fram haters club.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Don't quite remember, but it would have been a Fram or a Lee......

Same here.

A Lee I suspect first, as they were quite popular and had a good selection at Kmart iirc. But maybe an orange can.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
It was a Fram of some sort on my '88 Plymouth Sundance in '94.

I used a lot of those Fram "Double Guard" filters in the mid 90s, because I bought into the marketing jazz.

Rock auto still has some of those double guards they are trying to sell for 10 bucks.

I use those a few times but decided meh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JRed

I don't miss that truck. The week after I bought it home it needed $1100 in transmission work. A month later it needed an alternator. A month later it needed oil cooler lines to the tune of almost $400. The A/C dying was the last straw.

Ah, memories.

Earlier today, in the VEHICLES section, there was a topic titled "2016 Tacoma: You had 10 years to design this?"
And the OP asked, "If you wanted to buy a new midsize truck why would you not be on a Chevy or GMC lot?"

Well there's your answer.
I understand it's an older S-10, blah, blah, blah; but after seeing the junk they built back then and the way the dealers/corporate treated customers with legitimate gripes, they lost me as a customer. I'll pay more for something else.

Back to oil filter talk.

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
Originally Posted By: JRed

Ah, memories.

Earlier today, in the VEHICLES section, there was a topic titled "2016 Tacoma: You had 10 years to design this?"
And the OP asked, "If you wanted to buy a new midsize truck why would you not be on a Chevy or GMC lot?"

Well there's your answer.
I understand it's an older S-10, blah, blah, blah; but after seeing the junk they built back then and the way the dealers/corporate treated customers with legitimate gripes, they lost me as a customer. I'll pay more for something else.

Back to oil filter talk.

I worked for a company that had a fleet of 98-2003 S-10s that were extremely solid and had a very low rate of repair. Brakes and tires to 150k, a repair or two after would take them to 200k and by that time the body was so dented and scratched it was time to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back