First oil change on 2014 Charger 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: webfors
The Pentastar holds about 6.5 quarts of oil, in my van anyway. With that amount of oil, in a 5w20, with the right specs/certs, it will go 10k miles no problem, which is about what the OLM is reporting.

I'm running VWB with Purolator classic cartridge filter.

I believe it is 6 in the Charger.

I see that Valvoline also meets the Chrysler spec?

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I'm probably going to change out the FF at around 3K if not a little sooner.

1st Chrysler product (other than a 75 Valiant which seems like a million years ago) I see for warranty purposes they ask you to use a oil that meets the Chrysler Specs

I understand the FF is 5W20 PYB. I'm thinking of either sticking with that or PP or PU. I see that Royal Purple also carries the Chrysler spec as well.

Out of the 4, suggestions? Weather is turning colder here finally. Plan on putting a Fumoto drain valve too. Really liked how it worked on my Crosstrek.

Blue_Goose,

Congratulations on your new Charger. They look super compared to my Impala SS. If I were you I'd go strictly by your OLM and not do anything to the oil until it's first scheduled oil change. Remember it's still under warranty and if anything goes wrong they might void your warranty. When it's time I'd go for the PP or PU myself and leave it as is. PP is just as good as Royal and might be even better. Your decision.

Durango

The Pentastar holds about 6.5 quarts of oil, in my van anyway. With that amount of oil, in a 5w20, with the right specs/certs, it will go 10k miles no problem, which is about what the OLM is reporting.

Yep, all grades.

Amsoil also meets the MS-6895.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

IIRC the spec is MS-6395.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Kuato

IIRC the spec is MS-6395.

Thanks for the correction.

Id personally use Synpower according to the OLM!!!

Valvoline Synpower 0W20 meets the cert and gets you a little more cold weather protection if you wanted something beside plain old PYB in there. Follow the OLM and don't dump early whatever you do.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Valvoline Synpower 0W20 meets the cert and gets you a little more cold weather protection if you wanted something beside plain old PYB in there. Follow the OLM and don't dump early whatever you do.

Don't dump early as far as the FF?

36.gif

If you're buying oil at retail price, I'd just buy PYB. You know it works, you know it's inexpensive, and you know it's easy to get. If you change the FF at 3k miles, I'd see if I couldn't let the new oil go until the OLM tells you to change it, see when that is, and then re-assess what oil you'll use depending on what your comfort level is (in terms of running a certain type of oil for x miles).

Personally, I'd just change it at certain intervals that are easy for me to remember. If it were me, and I had your type of driving situation, I'd probably run PYB until 7,500 miles, then change it at 7,500 mile intervals from there on out. 15k, 22.5k, 30k, etc. Easy to remember, easy to plan and forecast, etc. It wouldn't hurt to do tire rotations that often anyway, and I do them at home and like to combine maintenance events, so scheduled intervals work well for me.

I am in the school of thought that the first factory fill needs to be run for the full length for the engine to break in and fully seat things with the slightly extra friction and abrasives. Beside it being a waste oil to dump it at 1000 miles or whatever, f engines were all dying or smoking at 60k miles because people didnt change the oil the first time at 1000k miles, the manufacturers wouldn't do it. I think people have in their mind a newly machine motor has metal shavings the size of fingernails floating around in their sump and it is just not the case.

Checked oil today and it is down a fraction..maybe a little over halfway mark. They do say in the owners manual that some oil use is normal for the 1st few thousand miles....hmmmmm

At 1627 miles now, just filled up and math came to 29.75mpg this tank.

Checked oil today and it is down a fraction..maybe a little over halfway mark. They do say in the owners manual that some oil use is normal for the 1st few thousand miles....hmmmmm

At 1627 miles now, just filled up and math came to 29.75mpg this tank.

A little usage is normal the first few thousand. Depends on the motor. Thats pretty good mileage given the car.

1st Chrysler product (other than a 75 Valiant which seems like a million years ago) I see for warranty purposes they ask you to use a oil that meets the Chrysler Specs

I understand the FF is 5W20 PYB. I'm thinking of either sticking with that or PP or PU. I see that Royal Purple also carries the Chrysler spec as well.

Out of the 4, suggestions? Weather is turning colder here finally. Plan on putting a Fumoto drain valve too. Really liked how it worked on my Crosstrek.

PYB, PP, or PU will all be good choices. I am a big RP fan and that would be my choice however. I have used their API 5W20 and it has done well. Good UOA's in a 2.4L Patriot and 5.7L Ram with it. Was going to run it in my 2014 Cherokee w/ 3.2L but had to sell the vehicle before I could get to it.

Another option for you is Kendall GT1 blend or full synthetic. They have 5W20's that meet your warranty requirements and their oils are excellent. Very affordable if you order online from PSC( 2 cases at a time for best shipping deal - more cases does not increase the deal - 2 is best always ).

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/kendall-gt-1-fs-w-ti-5w-20.html

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/kendall-gt-1-sb-w-ti-5w-20.html

One small caution for you. There is a new oil filter starting in 2014 for the 3.6L( also used in the new 3.2L ). While similar to the earlier filters they do not work in the 2014+ engines. I would assume by now that the parts listings have caght up but earlier in the year many people were being given the 2013 and earlier filter and I guess they fit( sort of )and some people damaged their engines. Just make sure you get the correct filter for 2014+ engines.

Also, the filter is a cartridge type filter and there are very few quality options available for it( at last check anyway ). Most people run the MOPAR/OEM filter.

MOPAR# MO349
Factory OEM #: 68191349AA
Wix #: WL10010

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

PYB, PP, or PU will all be good choices. I am a big RP fan and that would be my choice however. I have used their API 5W20 and it has done well. Good UOA's in a 2.4L Patriot and 5.7L Ram with it. Was going to run it in my 2014 Cherokee w/ 3.2L but had to sell the vehicle before I could get to it.

Another option for you is Kendall GT1 blend or full synthetic. They have 5W20's that meet your warranty requirements and their oils are excellent. Very affordable if you order online from PSC( 2 cases at a time for best shipping deal - more cases does not increase the deal - 2 is best always ).

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/kendall-gt-1-fs-w-ti-5w-20.html

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/kendall-gt-1-sb-w-ti-5w-20.html

One small caution for you. There is a new oil filter starting in 2014 for the 3.6L( also used in the new 3.2L ). While similar to the earlier filters they do not work in the 2014+ engines. I would assume by now that the parts listings have caght up but earlier in the year many people were being given the 2013 and earlier filter and I guess they fit( sort of )and some people damaged their engines. Just make sure you get the correct filter for 2014+ engines.

Also, the filter is a cartridge type filter and there are very few quality options available for it( at last check anyway ). Most people run the MOPAR/OEM filter.

MOPAR# MO349
Factory OEM #: 68191349AA
Wix #: WL10010

I got a Fram CH11665 to use. I didn't see that one in your list although Fram lists it as the correct filter.

Any ideas on that one?

I like the Napa Gold/Wix filters.

I'd use PYB for the first change, and then switch to PP. I did PYB, and then TropArtic ($1.99/qt special). Trop Artic does meet Chrysler's spec also. I now have a jug of PP waiting to go in soon. It will be one of the easiest changes you've ever done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back