First oil change for 2015 Civic SI

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to this forum! Finally registered after a good bit of lurking. Car has reached 4,000 miles. Going to be doing its first oil change within the next couple of months and need some recommendations.
Honda recommends using "Honda Genuine Motor Oil" which is 0W-20 synthetic blend or any premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API certification stamp. I drive the car pretty lightly but do some spirited driving at times and will probably take the car to the track once or twice a year. I live in Orange County so seeing temperatures lower than 40* is pretty rare. Summer's can get somewhat warm, though. My drive to work is fairly short at 5 miles each way. Thanks!

Edit: Took my car to the dealership this weekend because my "check oil level" light came on when going up a steep hill. Tech stated my car was low by a little under a quart and said 1 quart for 4,000 miles was considered normal. Any input on this? I thought I read someone post a new car breaking in can consume oil but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
You will use oil until the rings break in.

But Hondas tend to use oil. Especially if you go into vtec a lot.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
You will use oil until the rings break in.

But Hondas tend to use oil. Especially if you go into vtec a lot.

Thanks! That's a little bit of reassurance. I may hit vtec a couple of times per day but for the most part I'm easy on it.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Mobil 1 0w-20,ep all the way , $26 per 5 qt.jug at Walmart.

I've actually heard Mobil 1 makes Honda oil but $26 for 5 quarts is a ton cheaper haha

My malibu consumed 1/8 a quart in 4.1k at its first O/C. I check the oil every 1k. Just keep an eye on the oil level, it could just be the engine breaking in.

Check your own oil level weekly. Don't wait for the check engine light to come on. I get on my sisters about this as they just get in the car and drive smh. I check all fluid levels every weekend before I head out to wash my car

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Check your own oil level weekly. Don't wait for the check engine light to come on. I get on my sisters about this as they just get in the car and drive smh. I check all fluid levels every weekend before I head out to wash my car

Yeah this will be the norm for me now. Just didn't even cross my mind for a car with 4K miles.

Originally Posted By: KeithTheSneak
New to this forum! Finally registered after a good bit of lurking. Car has reached 4,000 miles. Going to be doing its first oil change within the next couple of months and need some recommendations.
Honda recommends using "Honda Genuine Motor Oil" which is 0W-20 synthetic blend or any premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API certification stamp. I drive the car pretty lightly but do some spirited driving at times and will probably take the car to the track once or twice a year. I live in Orange County so seeing temperatures lower than 40* is pretty rare. Summer's can get somewhat warm, though. My drive to work is fairly short at 5 miles each way. Thanks!

Edit: Took my car to the dealership this weekend because my "check oil level" light came on when going up a steep hill. Tech stated my car was low by a little under a quart and said 1 quart for 4,000 miles was considered normal. Any input on this? I thought I read someone post a new car breaking in can consume oil but I could be wrong.

Use any 0w20 and follow the maintenance minder, it will change the mileage due for service based on how you drive it.

But yes, check oil level every so often. Sundays are my day.

K20s and K24s tend to consume oil during the break-in period. That's normal. Follow MM, check oil level regularly.

Use 20 weight for daily driving, switch to the 30 weight before taking it to the track.

WOW !!! It doesn't say to check the oil in the manual?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dgunay
K20s and K24s tend to consume oil during the break-in period. That's normal. Follow MM, check oil level regularly.

Use 20 weight for daily driving, switch to the 30 weight before taking it to the track.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will do!
Originally Posted By: CT8
WOW !!! It doesn't say to check the oil in the manual?

Of course it does.

I have a acura csx type-s k20 engine and been using RP HPS 5w30.. so far my oil level has been pretty good til my MM hits 15%... Seems like the Synerlec is helping not to burn a lot of oil with my k20.. Car is already at 101k KM

Originally Posted By: KeithTheSneak
. . . I've actually heard Mobil 1 makes Honda oil but $26 for 5 quarts is a ton cheaper . . .

jfi, "Genuine Honda Motor Oil" is bottled for Honda by ConocoPhillips, the same folks who bottle Motorcraft motor oil for Ford. The two are virtually the same product.

I would start to use it a little harder. Will help seat the rings. Also, use some engine braking when coming to a stop. Nothing crazy, but give it a decent work out.

0w20 for the SI huh?

We're gonna need to see some pics of the car for an accurate oil recommendation.
cool.gif

Don't take a new car to the track unless you can afford to write it off. And if you ignore this advice and decide to bang the redline for laps on end, use something heavier than a 0W-20.....and try to brake early, don't be a hero.

I had viewed a UOA of M1-AFE 0w/20 in a 2015 SI here a while back and it was at only a 3000 mile interval when the sample was pulled. Nothing was noted as out of the ordinary but in only 3000 miles the viscosity had sheared down to 6.83 @100°cst roughly 20%. I have also seen a 30 weight in this same car I believe it was 0w/30 AFE and it also sheared out of grade in a very short interval as well ended up at about 8.4(20+%).

I am not bashing M1 by the way this is the oil this person used and the results that followed, nothing more.

For my 2013 SI I am running 30 weight. Back in 2004 Honda was using the k24 in the TSX and it was spec'd for 30 weight. So no worries using a 30 weight in this car. At least if it is going to shear it will be on the heaver side of a 20 weight. If that matters to you. Most likely you can run either grade and it will go many many miles without worry.

As far as consumption, I saw mine fall off at about 8-10k miles and I see little to none in consumption in my 8-10 mile OCI these days with 45k mile on the ODO.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
0w20 for the SI huh?

We're gonna need to see some pics of the car for an accurate oil recommendation.
cool.gif

Here you go
FA194DBA-9E7C-4E4E-BF40-669FBCD0AC8E_zpsnueuqi5n.jpg

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Don't take a new car to the track unless you can afford to write it off. And if you ignore this advice and decide to bang the redline for laps on end, use something heavier than a 0W-20.....and try to brake early, don't be a hero.

I've taken my previous SI(was hit while parked and totaled 3 months after getting it) and had a good time. Did 3/4 sessions and bailed a little early on each one. Wasn't driving super hard

Originally Posted By: stranger706
0w20 for the SI huh?

cool.gif

Honda recommends 0w20 for the 9th gen Si. There's no vtec on the exhaust cam, exhaust manifold is integrated with the cylinder head and revs 7200 rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back