First Oil Change for '06 Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru recommends the first change at 3,000 miles. I have gone almost 2,000 now and want to change out the factory fill for GC 0w-30. We are taking the car on a road trip, so I though t I'd change it before we go. The engine has used about 1/4 of a quart since I bought the car with 6 miles on it.

Is 2,000 miles enough mileage to switch to synthetic?

Ditto on TRD's Response

i always like to keep an extra quart or so no matter if the vehicle burns or not.

quote:

Originally posted by Frankie:

Most Subaru owner's wait until 10k to swtich to synthetic. Although looking at michaelc80's OBS UOA, maybe the n/a cars break in quicker than the turbo's. The n/a's are definitely easier on oil. You should be able to find more UOA's by searching Subaru in the UOA forum.

-Dennis

I switch my Forester over at ~2,200 miles and have a great running 107,000 mile engine. Subaru recomends the first change at 3,000 and NOT before 1,000 miles. An email from Subaru also stated we may change to Synthetic oil at the first oil change as long as it meets the viscosity & class in your owners manual.UOAs indicate that a full brake-in may not occure untill 5,000 miles is atanded but, your at the 90% of the way at 1-2,000 miles. If your concerned why not run out to the recomended 3,000 miles and change then?

quote:

Originally posted by Frankie:

I always wait until 3K.It may be just mental with me, but that's my mileage number for thinking the engine is somehwat broke-in. Use the viscosity grades recommended in your manual. GC is one of the most favored/preferred oils here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back