First Experience with Foam Cannon

First time I have used a foam cannon to wash a vehicle.

The foam definitely creates quite a show. I was surprised by how thick the foam was and how well it clung to the paint. This picture was taken after 2-3 min.

I think the foam definitely helps remove more dirt cracks and crevices but isn’t really necessary unless the car is extremely dirty.

However, I found the foam cannon to be a huge timesaver for washing vehicles with finishes that are in less than perfect condition. After a thorough pressure washer pre-rinse, you foam the vehicle with a thick layer of foam. Use a wash mitt and agitate all surfaces (except wheels), dipping into a bucket only to clean off the mitt as needed. Clean wheels with separate brush. Rinse and dry. I had the pictured car done in under 20 minutes.

Attachments

• 79C54314-8AEB-4A51-B3AF-FF01330D8132.jpeg
    79C54314-8AEB-4A51-B3AF-FF01330D8132.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 58840A07-A18C-404A-93AD-0EAE1C06B087.jpeg
    58840A07-A18C-404A-93AD-0EAE1C06B087.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 179
Thanks for sharing, I have been tossing around getting one for years. It would be perfect for winter cleaning. The only problem I see, and why I haven't pulled the trigger is each time I use my pressure washer I'd have to purge the water and refill the pump with anti-freeze. Something I'd rather not do several times during the winter.

Seems like fun compared to the traditional way or the 2 bucket method. What color is the car in the OP?

I have two foam guns. What brand is yours?

One is a generic pressure washer unit from Amazon, and is a real workhorse. I did the rear parking area and frankly all the front driveway and walkways for the first time EVER this spring, first a general blast, then foam section by section (soak) and then rotary blast followed with a blast rinse - took me two days FWIW. I have used it for cars, house, tiller, trailer, etc. Never any issues, dropped, kicked, hot cold.....

The other is a finicky POS Chemical Guys hose end unit. What a hunk of garbage that thing is. It simply won't stay on the QR connection, it doesn't spray consistently. The only proper place is the garbage. The changeable orifices make no real difference. I see the flaws in the design - mainly plastic for the critical parts. Not worth talking about.:poop:

For me the best automotive use of a foam gun are wheel wells, and up/under rocker panels places you don't want to or can't touch with a foam sponge or mop rag. Really helps get some of the grime out, something about getting some soap in the equation. :giggle:

I bought a foam cannon this year. I didn't want the power washer variety, so I picked up this one from Amazon.

It is a time saver and makes enough foam for me. I saw a lot of iffy reviews about these types of foam cannons, bit I decided to take a chance. Time will tell how long it lasts.

I bought a foam cannon this year. I didn't want the power washer variety, so I picked up this one from Amazon.

It is a time saver and makes enough foam for me. I saw a lot of iffy reviews about these types of foam cannons, bit I decided to take a chance. Time will tell how long it lasts.
I have that unit and I wasn't very impressed. The unit hooked up to a power washer does a much better job as far as I can tell. My comments and concerns were mentioned above with the power washer based units.

Reactions: JC1
Seems like fun compared to the traditional way or the 2 bucket method. What color is the car in the OP?
Sky blue.

I have two foam guns. What brand is yours?
Cannon: https://www.carpro-us.com/brushes-bottles-applicator/mtm-hydro-pf22-2-professional-snow-foam-cannon/
Combo nozzle (not sure if I would buy this again, I think I prefer swapping between a nozzle and a cannon for a lighter assembly): https://www.carpro-us.com/latest-arrivals/mtm-hydro-mezzo-valve-single-edition-new/

Soap was Meguiar's Hyper Wash which is extremely economical. I used about 2 oz to 16oz of water. Pressure washer was a 3800 psi / 3.5 gpm Honda GX270 w/CAT pump at 1/2 throttle. I think using a higher output pressure washer makes a significant difference in the density/quantity of the foam produced.

Last edited:
I have that unit and I wasn't very impressed. The unit hooked up to a power washer does a much better job as far as I can tell. My comments and concerns were mentioned above with the power washer based units.
I hear you. Would be nice to live in Cali where the power washer is constantly connected and doesn't need to be drained for the risk of freezing destroying components. I only use my power washer sparingly and it's usually to clean off the Weber Grill when it's needed.

These cheaper units are a trade off and they suit my purpose. Compared to the two bucket method, they do save time.

I added hot water to my garage, so I'm interested to see how washing cars in the driveway in January - March will be.

I hear you. Would be nice to live in Cali where the power washer is constantly connected and doesn't need to be drained for the risk of freezing destroying components. I only use my power washer sparingly and it's usually to clean off the Weber Grill when it's needed.

These cheaper units are a trade off and they suit my purpose. Compared to the two bucket method, they do save time.

I added hot water to my garage, so I'm interested to see how washing cars in the driveway in January - March will be.
I agree. I don't have hot water in the garage, it can be done. But the problem, at least for me is the 11HP power washer would still have to be winterized after each use. Now if I had a small electric power washer that I could keep in the basement, that's another story. But that's really a tool a don't have a real need for.

Foam cannon are great, but as you said, should be reserved for cars that are less than perfect. Too much hassle for a simple maintenance wash.

For my usage I thought a foam cannon was going to be great. I bought a ~$30 one off of Amazon last spring to use with my electric power washer. Like critic described, it indeed coats the vehicle and depending on the soap you use, it can cling like shaving cream. Problem is, everything in maybe a 15ft radius is going to get foam splatter on it. If you need to scrub the vehicle after the foam application, if the vehicle is large, untouched areas will start drying on you.

For me, It's just a lot easier to drag out the garden hose and buckets. Adding the power washer and foam cannon to the mix just adds more hoses, cords, bits and pieces and time to the job IMO.

I like the foam gun, but even in mild east coast weather, Ive not been able to keep the foam on the surface long enough to do the whole vehicle. I always need to do one panel at a time. And at that point, clean the sponge/mitt, and proceed. So ive never encountered major time savings.

My foam cannon has relegated my bucket to a storage bin for my wash mitts.

Pressure Wash fender wells, wheels & tires
Wash fender wells, wheels & tires with a dedicated mitt
Pressure wash the whole car
Foam cannon the whole car
Wash with dedicated mitt
Rinse with the garden hose.

No more running back to the bucket to dip the mitt.

I like the foam gun, but even in mild east coast weather, Ive not been able to keep the foam on the surface long enough to do the whole vehicle. I always need to do one panel at a time. And at that point, clean the sponge/mitt, and proceed. So ive never encountered major time savings.
My first experience has been the opposite. Were you using a foam cannon attached to a pressure washer, or a foam gun attached to a garden hose? There is a significant difference.

Foam cannon are great, but as you said, should be reserved for cars that are less than perfect. Too much hassle for a simple maintenance wash.
I use a foam cannon on my vehicles with light dust covering, both cars are garage kept so a simple foaming and letting it sit for a little bit then spray off, works great for a no touch wash.

My first experience has been the opposite. Were you using a foam cannon attached to a pressure washer, or a foam gun attached to a garden hose? There is a significant difference.

I own both. The result has been the same. I get the same kind of thick foam as you picture, but it aggregates And drips off rapidly befpre I can get all the way around. It will also rapidly dry unless it’s really humid out. Maybe I’m too slow.

I use a foam cannon on my vehicles with light dust covering, both cars are garage kept so a simple foaming and letting it sit for a little bit then spray off, works great for a no touch wash.
Same here. My Atlas is ceramic coated so I either use ONR in the garage or I pull it out for a quick foam and rinse.

Back