First Experience with Foam Cannon

Foam cannons that go on your pressure washer are great unless you have hard water or chlorinated city water. Case in point, this is a minute after:

X83Ktue.jpg

Used to not be like this, our town's water has been progressively getting worse as the treatment facility ages. It's no longer recommended to drink our water. We even have a filter, which seems absurd on city water, but it helps.

Couple years ago it was great;

Qs02VJH.jpg

1ptHCBD.jpg

Yes it depends on your soap, but it's still better than nothing. I'll typically only use it when the vehicles are super dirty. I'll typically add several ounces of say a bug remover as a pre-treat. Works well despite the lack of foam.

The foam cannon is a good tool but I only use it when the car is very dirty. My process is foam, rinse, wash. The reason I don't agitate the foam is in case the foam is in the process of carrying away grit but that grit hasn't completely made its way off the finish yet I don't want to rub it on the surface.

The foam cannon is a good tool but I only use it when the car is very dirty. My process is foam, rinse, wash. The reason I don't agitate the foam is in case the foam is in the process of carrying away grit but that grit hasn't completely made its way off the finish yet I don't want to rub it on the surface.
I just washed a truck that had not been washed in over 5 years. For the first foam session, I foamed with a mixture of Purple Power and Hyper Wash and pressure washed it a second time before foaming again with just soap.

Reading these posts motivated me to use my foam cannon.
Electric pressure washer, Meguiars gold class, chenille mitt.
Set it up, sprayed the horizontal surfaces, agitated the foam. Sprayed each of the sides, agitated the foam. Sprayed the wheels, agitated the foam. Rinsed the car.
Day was cloudy and humid so no issues with the soap drying. it was effective and it’s cool to spray the foam.
I don’t think it does a better or worse job than 2 bucket method and any time overage/savings is neglibible. It’s just a different way to get the car clean...
I did spray some other items I have been meaning to clean so that was a side benefit. I’m also pleased with how quickly the electric PW setup and takedown is.

I just got one recently. I’ve had pressure washers forever, but used a (low pressure) hose-connected foam gun. What a difference a real, quality unit does, especially with a short gun. The foam is much more lubricious, and the amount of water used is far less. Usually washing my car results in water in the gutter for about 100’. With the foam gun and pressure washer operation, it barely flows past the end of the vehicle. The soap use rate for all the foam is much lower too. And I can feel that it’s more lubricious. Very pleased!!

DA77D8CE-C7FA-4821-86E3-888139270103.jpeg
692FB5E7-36B7-4C50-9F0B-095044809EA1.jpeg
03B5B71E-339E-4DA1-B6AF-B5232C795B89.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a foam cannon this year. I didn't want the power washer variety, so I picked up this one from Amazon.

It is a time saver and makes enough foam for me. I saw a lot of iffy reviews about these types of foam cannons, bit I decided to take a chance. Time will tell how long it lasts.
Looks like a private labeled Gilmore Foamaster https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Cleaning-Foamaster-Multi-ratio-1609706073/dp/B000Y190WE

Reactions: JC1
Back