First damaged part from Amazon. Why can't they just replace it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this muffler that arrived today. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKYCGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00 The tip has a pretty bad dent in it as if it was dropped on it's end. The box it came in was pretty beat as well. I got a return label and dropped it off at UPS as instructed for a refund. Now I have to place a second order for it that's going to take another week to arrive with the free shipping. Couldn't they have processed a replacement instead and send it quicker through prime shipping?

Why would they?

Maybe next time you get something slightly damaged and think you don't want to wait a week or 2 for a replacement and keep the one you got.

Yeah it sucks how Amazon handles stuff like this. I've tried fighting them over and over on damaged items and they don't really grasp the concept on your lost time or planned repairs.

No I'm saying that Bezos isn't ever going to take any money out of his pocket to make you happy about a mistake by UPS. That's why he's a billionaire.

There is a concept in freight called FOB - or free on board. It indicates who owns the product at what point. Its fairly complicated in the commercial world, but in retail the FOB point is generally considered your ship to address, so if its damaged in transit the seller owns the problem.

As for the Amazon return policy, my guess is a lot of people don't get around to sending it back, or if you send it back its possible warranty would be denied - if it was obvious it was abused for example. I also think its easier that if I get one broken, I can order a new one immediately and ship back the damaged one at my leisure.

Auto parts stores get away with ridiculous markups because you don't have to wait.

I've had to return a lot of items as of late. Some damaged, some DOA out of the box, some things were just crap. I too find their return process odd. The odd thing is some stuff I just drop off to the UPS Store with no shipping box and they just scan the QR code and I'm gone. Other times, I have to box it up and attach the address label. Perhaps it depends on whether the item is sold by Amazon or a third party.

A few years ago I got an Amazon order delivered to my address by mistake.

I watched the driver drive off and immediately contacted Amazon asking them to get the driver to return to pick up the package. They asked if I knew where the address on the label was and wanted me to deliver the package. I flatly refused. Then they told me to either pitch the package in the trash or donate it to a charity.

I opened the shipping box and it contained several boxes of locksets; enough to do an entire house. I looked up the items on Amazon and it totaled close to $400 worth of merchandise.

whenever i have returned something on Amazon, they usually give the option of replacement first and you have time to send back the bad one in a month or they will charge you again.
That's the way it's worked for me and they will get the replacement coming right away.

I’ve been a prime customer since the beginning, and it’s been my experience that it’s a lot easier to receive a refund, and place a new order. Amazon has been very good about posting the credit the minute the old part is scanned by UPS for return. However, I haven’t needed to return anything in the last few months so heaven only knows if the policy is still in play.

Amazon's packaging efforts are inversely proportional to the ruggedness of the shipped goods. An HDD will arrive in a bubble mailer be and tossed over the 10-foot high gate but an SD card comes in a large box padded with bubble wrap and air pillows and is lovingly hand-delivered.

Last thing I returned they refunded pretty fast because I brought it to an Amazon Fresh. The AF was another level up of easy - hand it to them w/o packing materials, they stick a label on it, scan it, and you’re done.

You simply cannot beat the in store experience and leave with a pristine product. Price? That's another subject.

Usually they refund your card as soon as the product is scanned and weighed at the UPS store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back