Should I return opened strut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a pair of struts for the GP on Amazon. They arrived while I was out of town this week so I was not able to open them to inspect them until today. Upon removing the product boxes from the shipping box, the first item of concern was that one of the boxes was banged up. I opened that one first and the strut seems to be fine. When I turned my attention to the other box, it was obvious that it had previously been opened, as you could see where tape had been removed from the flaps on the top of the box. Also, "LF" was hand written on the box in marker. I opened the box and found that "LF" was also written in marker on the label on the strut, like someone was in the process of installing it on a vehicle. Also, the strap that keeps the strut compressed was gone. However, the strut top nut was still in the box, although the tape closing it's bag is red whereas the one in the unopened box is blue. The photo below shows the differences in the two opened boxes.

2015-01-22%2016.40.37_zpsqh7hqfb0.jpg

I have looked over the previously opened strut and see no apparent damage to the housing or shaft and the threads on the shaft appear unmolested. Should it be fine or should I return it? I should be able to get a replacement on Saturday for my planned Sunday install using free Prime shipping.

Call up Amazon, they're fantastic with returns. They may even have you keep it and send you another one for free.

If there's nothing obviously wrong with it, I'd install it. Document it and if it has a problem later perhaps I'd address it.

I've had struts arrive like this and installed them. I don't think it's an issue if the item is new and it creates more hassle and cost to replace something that has no obvious flaw.

These KYBs are well made units and I highly doubt Amazon would ship out a bad return; they are too careful for that mistake.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
If there's nothing obviously wrong with it, I'd install it. Document it and if it has a problem later perhaps I'd address it.

I agree.

The purpose of the poly strap is to obviously keep the strut compressed. I have never worked with struts before, but it almost looks like the strut is still slightly compressed? Unless its just that short when its fully extended.. Not sure.

IMO, be your own judge. It sounds like you received all the hardware. Is it scuffed in any way? Does it appear bent?

If not, I'd keep it and sleep well.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I highly doubt Amazon would ship out a bad return; they are too careful for that mistake.

I agree...if they knew that it was a bad return. I doubt they tested the strut or even opened the box. Even of they opened the box, I doubt they would know what it was supposed to look like. It fit in the box, so they would figure it was okay.

Edit: If they realized it had been opened, they most likely would have sold it as a "Warehouse Deal", which means it is listed on Amazon as "used" and priced lower than new.

Last edited:
I suspect the prior buyer took a good look at the job and decided to go for quick struts instead. Although Amazon has a great damaged goods and return policy I am not happy to hear they shipped opened box parts. I have purchased items from them which were identified as "used" and "used" seems to mean returned with the packing disturbed in some way. Usually a pretty good discount, though. Customer service might just goive you a partial refund aor credit.

I think I will run it but give Amazon a call to let them know that one box was really banged up and that one had been opened before being returned. It seems to me that both of them should have been warehouse deals listed as being "used".

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Also, the strap that keeps the strut compressed was gone.

That's the dead giveaway right there!

I doubt there is anything wrong with it given looks. Probably something else happened that caused a return. Amazon does sell returned stuff at lower price, are you sure you didnt pick up one of those deals?

Id chat with amazon, because Ill bet they will give you 5-20% off which is probably a good incentive to take the risk, of which I doubt there is any.

LOL, that strut is just fine, anything installed properly will leave bolt marks on the bottom where it bolts to the wheel knucle...the black paint will have been scarred a bit...if it looks clean then it was not installed previously.

If no signs of previous install I'd use it but I'd contact Amazon via the web site email and express my concern about packaging and difference between the two struts. At minimum they may give you a credit or discount coupon.

Last edited:
I cant imagine that there is anything wrong with the strut. obviously someone bought it, abandoned their installation for some reason, and returned it. I would use it - although I might try to hit up amazon for a discount. although maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back