Firestone Precision Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 95 Taurus has Firestone Precision Sport on it and I like the tire. The Taurus isnt really all that big. How does everyone else like or dislike this tire?

I've been through two Firestone recalls of their tires, I will never put a Firestone on any of my vehicles. Furthermore, if I ever bought a new car with Firestones, I would switch them out.

New GM cars seem to come with Michelins, although I am not fond of the French, they are great tires.

Consumer Reports currently has it ranked second-to-last on its list of "H-Rated Performance All-Season Tires." Their areas of criticism were snow traction (poor), ice braking (fair), rolling resistance (fair) and treadlife (poor).

Meanwhile, the "S" and "T" rated Firestone Precision Touring has gotten rave reviews and is ranked second in the Standard Touring class on Tire Rack (behind the Michelin Defender and ahead of the third place Hankook H727). Maybe Firestone DOES still know how to build a tire? At $102 apiece in my size (225-60-15), I might just give them a try on the 'ol minivan when its due for tires next year. The snow ratings are great for an all season tire.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Consumer Reports currently has it ranked second-to-last on its list of "H-Rated Performance All-Season Tires." Their areas of criticism were snow traction (poor), ice braking (fair), rolling resistance (fair) and treadlife (poor).

Thats too bad. I was looking at possibly getting a pair of these for the Beater Vic as I blew one out.

Underneath the different tread pattern, it's probably the same thing as Fuzion HR (corporate cousin brand) which was sold for quite a few years so the cybersphere should be full of comments if you search that one. The rubber, sidewalls & shoulders look exactly the same (except the Fuzion's arent't made in the lower speed ratings).

People I knew who owned the Fuzions (but didn't let me drive them...) said it was a pretty good performance value for the money if you didn't mind a ride that was a little noisier & harsher than average.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Meanwhile, the "S" and "T" rated Firestone Precision Touring has gotten rave reviews and is ranked second in the Standard Touring class on Tire Rack (behind the Michelin Defender and ahead of the third place Hankook H727). Maybe Firestone DOES still know how to build a tire?

Probably a factor of higher customer expectations among those who bought the higher rated versions and comparing themm to more premuim tires.

I think most, if not all of those Firestone catastrophies were with OEM tires, and date back to when Ford & GM cared only to get the cheapest tire possible from a know brand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back