Firestone

Bridgestone isn't big in the United States? Could have fooled me. I've had some poor excuse Bridgestone OEM tires but also some really good aftermarket tires. Wouldn't surprise me if Firestone shops sold more volume in Bridgestone branded tires than Firestone. At least around here with a high proportion of import makes.

But this was what I one thought of as Bridgestone back in college. Strangely enough, it didn't have Bridgestone tires. I don't believe Bridgestone ever made bike tires.

Bridgestone-MB-0.jpg

I know that KO2 are not something, but based on Tire Rack, Trail Terrain T/A are absolutely horrid. Michelin has to keep cost down so they prioritize I think terrain performance and snow it seems.
I have on Pilot BFG T/A Advantage Sport and they are OK until wet. Not the worst tire in wet (I do not think anything can be worse than Kumho Ecsta I had or Nokian R2's in wet) but definitely not confidence-inspiring when it comes to handling and braking.

You should try some Federal SS595. They'll set a new low record for you!

Around here, Firestone stores are overpriced, but a cash cow for Bridgestone Americas. Firestone tires are now just relabeled or prior-generation Bridgestones. Costco is starting to carry some Firestone.

Buses and garbage trucks here used to use Firestone. Michelin and Goodyear took that over.

Thanks to all who responded. I'm not quite sure how to write all this up, but I'll find a way.

I would like to comment on a couple of Firestone related issues brought out above:

There was a huge recalls in 1977 & 1978 of Firestone 500's. It is mentioned here: Wikipedia: Firestone Tire and Rubber Company

Wikipedia says the cause was the failure of the bonding cements. Not exactly. Every tire manufacturer had the problem because they all used a chemical bonding agent that turned into an acid when exposed to water. Unfortunately, water vapor can permeate through the tire, so the acid rusted the steel belts. Firestone was the last to figure this out and change over to a new chemical that didn't. They wasted a lot of time trying to get rid of water in the manufacturing process - all to no avail.

More importantly, they handled this badly. They tried to fight the regulators and to the public denied they had a problem.

In the fall of 2000, they had another huge recall, this time of the Firestone Radial ATX. Wikipedia: Firestone and Ford tire controversy

I have my own take on this and dedicated a webpage to the subject: Barry's Tire Tech: The Firestone / Ford Controversy

Again, Firestone handled this badly.

What I find most interesting is how little both of these affected the public's buying practices. By rights, these 2 recalls and how they handled them should have resulted in the Firestone brand being delegated to the sidelines. Instead, Bridgestone continues to successfully market the brand in the aftermarket.

Thanks to all who responded. I'm not quite sure how to write all this up, but I'll find a way.

I would like to comment on a couple of Firestone related issues brought out above:

There was a huge recalls in 1977 & 1978 of Firestone 500's. It is mentioned here: Wikipedia: Firestone Tire and Rubber Company

Wikipedia says the cause was the failure of the bonding cements. Not exactly. Every tire manufacturer had the problem because they all used a chemical bonding agent that turned into an acid when exposed to water. Unfortunately, water vapor can permeate through the tire, so the acid rusted the steel belts. Firestone was the last to figure this out and change over to a new chemical that didn't. They wasted a lot of time trying to get rid of water in the manufacturing process - all to no avail.

More importantly, they handled this badly. They tried to fight the regulators and to the public denied they had a problem.

In the fall of 2000, they had another huge recall, this time of the Firestone Radial ATX. Wikipedia: Firestone and Ford tire controversy

I have my own take on this and dedicated a webpage to the subject: Barry's Tire Tech: The Firestone / Ford Controversy

What I find most interesting is how little both of these affected the public's buying practices. By rights, these 2 recalls and how they handled them should have resulted in the Firestone brand being delegated to the sidelines. Instead, Bridgestone continues to successfully market the brand in the aftermarket.

I seem to recall one of the big factors in the SUV tire recall of the 90s was Ford's low tire pressure recommendations for the Explorer in order to improve ride comfort. But then again many people ride on low pressure tires from not checking on them, and they don't typically fail at that high a rate.

However, they have a fairly limited range compared to Bridgetstone branded tires sold in the United States and Canada.

I seem to recall one of the big factors in the SUV tire recall of the 90s was Ford's low tire pressure recommendations for the Explorer in order to improve ride comfort. But then again many people ride on low pressure tires from not checking on them, and they don't typically fail at that high a rate.

However, they have a fairly limited range compared to Bridgetstone branded tires sold in the United States and Canada.
and the good old firestone 721.......a real pos tire...

It was actually revolutionary at the time. The 500 was their first attempt at radial tires when bias ply were the most common. The 721 was the typical replacement under Firestone's recall. I'm not sure if the 721 was considered all-season though. You can still get them since vintage-look tire maker Coker Tire makes them for those who want to keep their 70s pimpmobiles accurate.

Firestone-721-Radial-LR78-15-blog-banner.jpg
Coker Tire is proud to announce a new size in its immense Firestone product line. The new Firestone 721 series LR78-15 whitewall tire is a perfect fit for 1970's full size classics, such as Lincoln Continental, Cadillac Eldorado and more! The new Firestone tire features alpha numeric sizing, which was the predecessor to today's P-metric sizing. The new size offers period correct branding and sidewall markings with the Firestone 721 series identification, and a 3/4-inch whitewall. The LR78-15 sizing offer OE and optional fitment for many full size American cars, including Buick Estate, Cadillac DeVille, Chrysler New Yorker, Ford LTD and more from 1971 to 1979. This product is a specialty item that fills a small void in the huge automotive aftermarket. Items like this are a labor of love for Coker Tire, as the mold development, research, testing and manufacturing is quite an endeavor. Firestone 721 series Steel Belted Radial tires are made in the USA in brand new molds, built from original Firestone drawings, and they feature Coker Tire's exclusive Life of the Tread Warranty.​

I do remember their big competitor back then was Goodyear, and their big one was the Tiempo, which was then succeeded by the Arriva. The first designated all-season tires.

That bring back memories! I am sure I wasn't even old enough to drive yet but I remember their commercials.... "Steel belts consisting of seven strands surrounding two, wrapped by one". Hence, "721".

It was actually revolutionary at the time. The 500 was their first attempt at radial tires when bias ply were the most common. The 721 was the typical replacement under Firestone's recall. I'm not sure if the 721 was considered all-season though. You can still get them since vintage-look tire maker Coker Tire makes them for those who want to keep their 70s pimpmobiles accurate.

Coker Tire is proud to announce a new size in its immense Firestone product line. The new Firestone 721 series LR78-15 whitewall tire is a perfect fit for 1970's full size classics, such as Lincoln Continental, Cadillac Eldorado and more! The new Firestone tire features alpha numeric sizing, which was the predecessor to today's P-metric sizing. The new size offers period correct branding and sidewall markings with the Firestone 721 series identification, and a 3/4-inch whitewall. The LR78-15 sizing offer OE and optional fitment for many full size American cars, including Buick Estate, Cadillac DeVille, Chrysler New Yorker, Ford LTD and more from 1971 to 1979. This product is a specialty item that fills a small void in the huge automotive aftermarket. Items like this are a labor of love for Coker Tire, as the mold development, research, testing and manufacturing is quite an endeavor. Firestone 721 series Steel Belted Radial tires are made in the USA in brand new molds, built from original Firestone drawings, and they feature Coker Tire's exclusive Life of the Tread Warranty.​

I do remember their big competitor back then was Goodyear, and their big one was the Tiempo, which was then succeeded by the Arriva. The first designated all-season tires.
I had a set of 721 and they had a issue with tread seperation. They were a good idea but turned out to be a garbage tire...I went though three sets because of seperation...but at least the second and third set were free because of all the issues with the tires...

I had a set of 721 and they had a issue with tread seperation. They were a good idea but turned out to be a garbage tire...I went though three sets because of seperation...but at least the second and third set were free because of all the issues with the tires...

Mass produced American-made radials were fairly recent then. My understanding was that it was the biggest issue in the 70s with tread separation where they hadn't quite worked out manufacturing.

Reactions: hrv
Mass produced American-made radials were fairly recent then. My understanding was that it was the biggest issue in the 70s with tread separation where they hadn't quite worked out manufacturing.
Michelin were far ahead in radial tires back then..

Just never, EVER cross rotate a 721-I was able to tear belts on FOUR tires in one day (back in the day, my '65 Impala SS)!

Reactions: hrv
Michelin invented the radial tire, Pirelli came in soon after. The original Michelin had a steel belt, the Pirelli a fabric belt. These manufacturers used a segment mold to form the tire.

When the American manufacturers tried to make their early radial tires, they continued to use the clamshell molds that they used on bias ply tires. As a result, the belts in their tires were often out of place or unevenly placed. In other words, they were junk compared to the European product from manufacturers that had been making them for years.

Michelin invented the radial tire, Pirelli came in soon after. The original Michelin had a steel belt, the Pirelli a fabric belt. These manufacturers used a segment mold to form the tire.

When the American manufacturers tried to make their early radial tires, they continued to use the clamshell molds that they used on bias ply tires. As a result, the belts in their tires were often out of place or unevenly placed. In other words, they were junk compared to the European product from manufacturers that had been making them for years.
I think that's where the term "slipped belt" came from. The belt wouldn't expand evenly, and it would slip into the wrong position. That resulted in uneven wear, so even today, the term slipped belt is used to describe the condition where uneven wear is supposed to indicate a separation.

My understanding was that it was the biggest issue in the 70s with tread separation where they hadn't quite worked out manufacturing.

The problem was in the design - mostly rubber chemistry. They didn't know that back then, but the biggest improvements have come from the rubber chemistry end of things!

Don't get me wrong, the use of high speed computers was very helpful in identifying where the highest stresses were and changed how fast ideas for improvements could be turned into reality. Before, they had to build tires which took six months! Now they could do a batch of potential soluntions in a day, and then wait six months to prove it out!

But the real improvements were in rubber chemistry. Those guys are the unsung heroes.

Omg is this Barry the tire guy? Learned a lot from your website over the years. Just want to say thanks for all your well written articles!

Back