Firestone

Guys,

I am writing up something on tire brands and I don't quite know what to do. Bridgestone is the 2nd largest tire manufacturer in the world, yet their presence in the US market is pretty small.

HOWEVER, a brand they own - Firestone - has a HUGE!! presence. They even have a chain of tire shops/ car repair facilities branded that way.

So for those of you who aren't in the US: How big is Bridgestone in your market? Does Firestone even have a presence? Tell me about it or anything else that's unusual where you are.

Not sure if it is what you are looking for.
I am Polish but I live in the USA. I am still following info from Poland but I am not buying tires there anymore.

A magazine Motor tests tires.

magazynauto.pl

Firestone was included in their "accessibly priced" summer tires: Firestone Roadhawk.
They lost to Uniroyal, Semperit, Dębica but were ahead of Kumho, Apollo, Tomket, Imperial and Double Coin.

They were not included in their premium and middle priced test.

German based Auto Bild (and its Polish version Auto Świat) did a test in 2019 and the same Roadhawk passed the elimination test (53 down to 20: wet and dry braking distances added together as #13) and finished #18 in detailed test.

So Firestone is present in Poland and Europe as a cheaper brand from Bridgestone but how popular it is I do not know.

Krzyś

Guys,

I am writing up something on tire brands and I don't quite know what to do. Bridgestone is the 2nd largest tire manufacturer in the world, yet their presence in the US market is pretty small.

HOWEVER, a brand they own - Firestone - has a HUGE!! presence. They even have a chain of tire shops/ car repair facilities branded that way.

So for those of you who aren't in the US: How big is Bridgestone in your market? Does Firestone even have a presence? Tell me about it or anything else that's unusual where you are.
My work van was an AWD Astro, I took it to a Firestone shop in Quincy Center for an oil change and the front end stopped engaging. Coincidence???

Bridgestone - a Japanese tire company - bought Firestone outright in the late 1980's. Firestone was a really well known brand in the USA so the Japanese wisely left it this way.

In the past Firestone was really well known in the agriculture and commercial vehicle markets. They still do really well there is my understanding. In passenger tires they were an also ran compared to Michelin and Goodyear back in the day, and with the 100 brands we have now days - who knows.

The Firestone tire care places are all franchises I believe, so there hit and miss - mostly miss in my experience. There's a couple near hear (that I won't visit anymore)

The Bridgestone name seems to only come on some specialty tires, like high performance or off road. I don't think I have ever owned a Bridgestone tire - although I have owned a few Firestone's with no issues and would buy again if needed, but I think they want too much money for what you get anymore, at least last I looked.

Bridgestones are OEM on some high end brands such as BMW and Lexus. Other than their snow tires, I never think of them as a serious choice for replacement tires.

Firestone, now owned by Bridgestone, was an old time brand. Henry Ford was friends with Harvey Firestone, so early Fords typically had Firestone tires. They were also an OEM supplier for other car brands. Firestone's reputation went into the dumpster with many defective models starting in the 1960s and they were forced into massive recalls. Old timers such as myself avoid the brand for that reason.

Not sure if it is what you are looking for.
I am Polish but I live in the USA. I am still following info from Poland but I am not buying tires there anymore.

A magazine Motor tests tires.

magazynauto.pl

Firestone was included in their "accessibly priced" summer tires: Firestone Roadhawk.
They lost to Uniroyal, Semperit, Dębica but were ahead of Kumho, Apollo, Tomket, Imperial and Double Coin.

They were not included in their premium and middle priced test.

German based Auto Bild (and its Polish version Auto Świat) did a test in 2019 and the same Roadhawk passed the elimination test (53 down to 20: wet and dry braking distances added together as #13) and finished #18 in detailed test.

So Firestone is present in Poland and Europe as a cheaper brand from Bridgestone but how popular it is I do not know.

Krzyś
Back in the day, they had a decent reputation. But, Bridgestone clearly separated them in Europe between top line (Bridgestone) and budget (Firestone).

Seems he asked for those of you not in the US … so won’t mention we replaced Bridgestones with Firestones on the Lexus and won‘t mention they are good on wet roads …

Seems he asked for those of you not in the US … so won’t mention we replaced Bridgestones with Firestones on the Lexus and won‘t mention they are good on wet roads …
Generally in Europe they always had good reputation on wet roads. I have no doubt they are good, better than BF Goodrich and some of their tires which are absolutely horrible in wet.

Reactions: 4WD
In Finland Bridgestone car tyres have a small slice of the market - Bridgestone motorcycle tyres a bit bigger.

Firestone is practically non-existent here.

Generally in Europe they always had good reputation on wet roads. I have no doubt they are good, better than BF Goodrich and some of their tires which are absolutely horrible in wet.
Have 285 Built For Gravel (BFG) tires on my Jeep - and they work for that vehicle … I drive it like it’s easy to flip - go figure 😵‍💫
However, tried BFG T/A’s a couple times - (sedan) gone in 30k …
(only got the 2nd set bcs they prorated cost)

Bridgestones are OEM on some high end brands such as BMW and Lexus. Other than their snow tires, I never think of them as a serious choice for replacement tires.

Unlike to most European markets. BS has own plants
in Eastern Europe (Poland or Hungary?).
My GTI came with some BS from factory. I replaced
them quite soon, after two or three months for a set
of Michelin PSS.

Firestone, now owned by Bridgestone, was an old time brand.

Founded on August 3, 1900.

Firestone's reputation went into the dumpster with many defective models starting in the 1960s and they were forced into massive recalls. Old timers such as myself avoid the brand for that reason.

Its 'Indy 500' model. 'Unsafe at Any Speed' . . . .

Anyway I purchased one set of FS tires (F560) back in
the late 80s or early 90s. I was very pleased with them.

Have 285 Built For Gravel (BFG) tires on my Jeep - and they work for that vehicle … I drive it like it’s easy to flip - go figure 😵‍💫
However, tried BFG T/A’s a couple times - (sedan) gone in 30k …
(only got the 2nd set bcs they prorated cost)
I know that KO2 are not something, but based on Tire Rack, Trail Terrain T/A are absolutely horrid. Michelin has to keep cost down so they prioritize I think terrain performance and snow it seems.
I have on Pilot BFG T/A Advantage Sport and they are OK until wet. Not the worst tire in wet (I do not think anything can be worse than Kumho Ecsta I had or Nokian R2's in wet) but definitely not confidence-inspiring when it comes to handling and braking.

I know that KO2 are not something, but based on Tire Rack, Trail Terrain T/A are absolutely horrid. Michelin has to keep cost down so they prioritize I think terrain performance and snow it seems.
I have on Pilot BFG T/A Advantage Sport and they are OK until wet. Not the worst tire in wet (I do not think anything can be worse than Kumho Ecsta I had or Nokian R2's in wet) but definitely not confidence-inspiring when it comes to handling and braking.
Well - having put 255/20 Hankooks at the curb w/ just 10k - that might tie for bottom with the Kumho 😵‍💫

Back