Firestone

Both Firestone and Bridgestone tires are excellent but expensive. I wouldn’t use their service centers though, they’re over priced and under pay their techs. I’m not saying smaller independent shops don’t upsell I just know those usually have a better customer relationship where customers are repeat and their kids family etc also go for their car repair needs. Big chain shops don’t care for a one hit wring your wallet out dry.

Back in the 80s when I was in Hong Kong, I remember all the Bridgestone commercials are of white people, not really any hint it was a Japanese brand at all. They didn't have a mascot like Michelin so people tend to forget them. I knew they were big like Michelin and Goodyear back then too.

Back in the 80s when I was in Hong Kong, I remember all the Bridgestone commercials are of white people, not really any hint it was a Japanese brand at all. They didn't have a mascot like Michelin so people tend to forget them. I knew they were big like Michelin and Goodyear back then too.
People in commercials now remains disingenuous

I bought my Civic used that came with brand new Bridgestone Weatherpeak tires that I'm guessing the dealer had installed because honestly who would purchase tires for a vehicle they are trading in anyways and from the research I've done Sears Tire and Auto sold them. They are rated for 70k but currently has 65k on them since I purchased the car, I could probably go until next year and would barely pass inspection but honestly it's just not worth it. I've learned when tires get in the last 5k-10k miles of their life they are just totally unbearable. I could've rotated them more often but so far I'm happy with the life they've given me and I didn't have to pay for them either.

Not the worst tire in wet (I do not think anything can be worse than Kumho Ecsta I had or Nokian R2's in wet) but definitely not confidence-inspiring when it comes to handling and braking.
I'd put the OE Goodyear tire on our RAM up against those! It was like driving on ice, you couldn't even get moving.

I know that KO2 are not something, but based on Tire Rack, Trail Terrain T/A are absolutely horrid. Michelin has to keep cost down so they prioritize I think terrain performance and snow it seems.
I have on Pilot BFG T/A Advantage Sport and they are OK until wet. Not the worst tire in wet (I do not think anything can be worse than Kumho Ecsta I had or Nokian R2's in wet) but definitely not confidence-inspiring when it comes to handling and braking.
My brother used to have a business where he was connected with Discount Tire and selling tire/wheel sets. I remember the Kumho tires and a few that had bulges out of the sidewalls and I'm pretty sure they were the Ecsta so evidently they clearly had a bad batch of tires. For me I just go with one of the major brands, yes they too can even have problems but typically not near as often.

My brother used to have a business where he was connected with Discount Tire and selling tire/wheel sets. I remember the Kumho tires and a few that had bulges out of the sidewalls and I'm pretty sure they were the Ecsta so evidently they clearly had a bad batch of tires. For me I just go with one of the major brands, yes they too can even have problems but typically not near as often.

Bulges are a known issue in tires. There are ways of dealing that - meaning those could be systemic issues relative to how the tires are produced and not just a "bad batch" issue.

I remember when Bridgestone Potenzas used to be a top performance tire line back in the 90s. I haven't heard that name in awhile here in the US, but I just checked their website and it looks like they still make those. But more likely, I haven't kept tabs on sports cars as much as I did in my youth.

Michelin were far ahead in radial tires back then..
My mom finally found a dealer that carried both Firestone and Michelin. They were able to do something to finally get her out of the Firestone 500 tires she had on the '75 Cordoba she had. Once it had Michelins, the tire issues were solved. It took the "Dodge Boys" at the local CPD dealer a bit longer to get the carburetor and ignition system issues sorted out.

She didn't wait and we moved on to a '78 Mercury Zephyr wagon.

I don't know that I'd classify Bridgestone as small, considering their presence in Costco, and their own Retail Operations division and its various stores. They even had an agreement to buy Pep Boys before it was nixed and Carl Icahn took it.

Together, Goodyear, Michelin, and Bridgestone own two-thirds of the U.S. replacement tire market, and even if the BS brand was broken out separately, it would still probably be as large, or larger than Conti, Yoko, and the like, which comprise the remaining third in aggregate.

Guys,

I am writing up something on tire brands and I don't quite know what to do. Bridgestone is the 2nd largest tire manufacturer in the world, yet their presence in the US market is pretty small.

HOWEVER, a brand they own - Firestone - has a HUGE!! presence. They even have a chain of tire shops/ car repair facilities branded that way.

So for those of you who aren't in the US: How big is Bridgestone in your market? Does Firestone even have a presence? Tell me about it or anything else that's unusual where you are.
There’s a Firestone road shop 3-4 miles from my home. Owned a few autos that came with Firestone or Bridgestone’s they were good tires. 2009 Miata had Bridgestone summer sport tires loud but handled extremely well like it were on rails, 2010 Subaru Impreza had Bridgestone Decent all weather all season tires ride was comfortable car handled respectable for a 2.5i. Lastly was my 2019 Corolla SE had Firestone light snow traction was ok ride was semi hard but not to loud for a 45 profile. They also handled pretty well the car was fun driving hard on twisty backroads loved that inside rear tire lift.

I remember when Bridgestone Potenzas used to be a top performance tire line back in the 90s. I haven't heard that name in awhile here in the US, but I just checked their website and it looks like they still make those. But more likely, I haven't kept tabs on sports cars as much as I did in my youth.
they still market the potenza in a couple of variants. I had their high-performance all-season variant a couple of years ago. It was by every means an excellent tire, understanding that a high-po tire will sacrifice treadlife. They were great tires with a short life.

Back