Filter recommendation (Fram/Purolator/Other)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I've researched oil filters. Back in the day Purolators were well regarded so I would typically grab a white Purolator Classic for around $2 and change but noticed that they got a make-over and now sell for around $6, the midgrade filter is $9 and the premium is $13. And I've just now read a little bit about the QC and tearing problems they've had. I figured I'd try Fram which I recall used to have a bad reputation but seems to be spoken about better now.

The car is a 2002 Kia Sportage with 65k. It's low mileage/short tripper, currently running a ~5.5k OCI with dino.
-Purolator lists a L14610 (PL14610) which is what I've been using and this cross references to a Fram PH7317.
-Fram lists PH5343. Only in an Extra Guard, they don't list a Tough Guard or Ultra as they do with the PH7317. If they offered an Ultra I might consider running it for two OCI's.
-Wix lists a 51357 which cross references to the Fram PH5343.

http://www.fram.com/parts-search/PH5343/
http://www.fram.com/parts-search/PH7317/

They look fairly similar in dimensions and the pressure relief is 9-15 on both, (the Purolator PR is set at 14-18). I notice the 5343 lists an anti-siphon valve. Does anybody know which is the correct or better filter. Or maybe should I consider something else for this application? Thanks.

How long do you plan to keep the car?

Rockauto has the K&N HP1006 for $1.02 and the BECK/ARNLEY 0418076 for $1.39

Either of those should work great and if you order at least half a dozen, or more, the shipping cost is not to much when the factor in the overall per filter price.

I'd skip the Puros and agree with QC issues. Sad, as in the 90s they were fantastic.

Fram are solid but with no Ultra available my choice at a 5500 mile interval would be the Wix.

Check out Ebay, occasionally they have some good deals on Fram filters. I'm not sure about your application. I'd stay clear of Purolator filters, too much bad press around here, and I'm not a gambling man hoping that my Purolator filter was a good one........

I've never had a problem with the Purolator filters. I usually get the white Purolator Classic ones.

Again, I have simply never had a problem with them.

I recently got a hold of a Fram ToughGard and have yet to find an application for it.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Either of those should work great and if you order at least half a dozen, or more, the shipping cost is not to much when the factor in the overall per filter price.

That is a good closeout deal. When I look at the K&N website it lists HP1010 as the filter I need (which crosses to the Fram PH5343 and the Purolator L14610) but Rock Auto doesn't have it. The HP1006 doesn't seem to cross with either. I'm curious why the cross references don't line up, is there some difference in construction between the two part numbers?

Originally Posted By: baomo
Thanks for the input everyone.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

That is a good closeout deal. When I look at the K&N website it lists HP1010 as the filter I need (which crosses to the Fram PH5343 and the Purolator L14610) but Rock Auto doesn't have it. The HP1006 doesn't seem to cross with either. I'm curious why the cross references don't line up, is there some difference in construction between the two part numbers?

I think the 1010 replaced the 1006. The 1010 does cross reference to the BECK/ARNLEY 0418076 and Fram PH4913 Fram PH5317 Fram PH5343 Fram PH6607 Fram PH7317

OK yea the 1010 and 1006 are almost the same spec so I think they just got rid of the 1006 and used the 1010 as a catch all...

HP-1006
Product Style: Oil Filters
Height: 3.75 in (95 mm)
Outside Diameter: 2.78 in (71 mm)
Thread Inside Diameter: M20 x 1.5
PSI Relief Valve: 11-17
Anti Drain Back Valve: Yes
Style: Canister
Weight: 0.5 lb (0.2 kg)

HP-1010
Product Style: Oil Filters
Height: 3.73 in (95 mm)
Outside Diameter: 2.69 in (68 mm)
Thread Inside Diameter: M20 x 1.5
PSI Relief Valve: 11-17
Anti Drain Back Valve: Yes
Style: Canister
Weight: 0.5 lb (0.2 kg)

Originally Posted By: Collingwood
I've never had a problem with the Purolator filters. I usually get the white Purolator Classic ones.

Again, I have simply never had a problem with them.

I recently got a hold of a Fram ToughGard and have yet to find an application for it.

Ever cut them open?

Call the dealer and see what they sell an OEM for. Toyota and Subaru OEM from dealer has always been about $4-6. Otherwise I use cheap FRAM Orange Can and synthetic. I'll get flamed hard for not using a $15 filter with synthetic, but, personally, I just don't believe it matters that much. But that's my opinion. I'll continue to stand by it.

You could possibly try a filter from Hastings. I got this from a Federated Auto parts in the Richmond area. It was $8. Built like a tank, heavy and from what I've read on here has solid effiency numbers.

Last edited:
I like Hastings filters (they certainly are well-constructed and built like a tank), but the one for my Hyundai (LF565) does not have a silicone ADBV (it has a nitrile ADBV). Due to the startup noise that occurs with Hyundai/KIA vehicles, I prefer to use filters that have a silicone ADBV to try to minimize this.

For the Focus, the Hastings/Baldwin filter has a silicone ADBV.

For that O/FCI and plethora of crossover numbers I'd just stick with a standard Wix / NAPA Gold, unless you're looking to order a bunch of oil filters from RA to stash & save on shipping.

RA has the Asian made Pro Gauge jobber filters and Premium Guard and Pentius and Ecoguard all for low $$$. I can't honestly tell if the Champ Labs PH2868 listed on RA is an ecore or not from the pic, and you don't always get what's shown in the pics on RA anyway.

I have been running Wix on my grandmothers Kia for a few years and they have done well. I cut them open after use, which for her is usually 1 year and aprox 3k, they always look perfect. Some of the cheap filters had issues with the bypass valve or anti drain back valve. Wix uses a good quality silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
Call the dealer and see what they sell an OEM for. Toyota and Subaru OEM from dealer has always been about $4-6. Otherwise I use cheap FRAM Orange Can and synthetic. I'll get flamed hard for not using a $15 filter with synthetic, but, personally, I just don't believe it matters that much. But that's my opinion. I'll continue to stand by it.

I do also and everyone here also stands rigidly to their opinions. One in particular is the Head Honcho of it. There really is no need for any more discussion except it's an escape. It's always the same. The pictures are always nice.
07.gif

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
I can suggest one in about ten months and eighteen days.

Might want to put this in your signature - LINK ... LOL.

You know the efficiency of the orange can (way better than 50% @ 20u) ... acceptable level of filtration, but IMO 50% @ 20u comparatively isn't.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis

You can get an Ultra at Walmart for $8.87. A Tough Guard for $6.64 both are 99% plus at 20 microns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back