Using different size oil filter than OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Cummins brand generator that is based on a 4 cylinder car engine. The engine uses a spin on Fleet Guard brand filter, model LF3537. I was looking to use a newer synthetic filter on the engine when it comes time to change the oil. https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/ lists a whole lot of filters on the cross reference page. It specifically lists Fram PH7317, which has a version in their ultra synthetic line (XG7317). The threads, height, gasket all match fairly closely. The bypaass setting is 13 vs 12, which shouldn't be an issue. The actual outer diameter of the filter is quite a bit different though - the Fleet Guard is roughly 3", whereas the Fram is about 2.68". Any issues with going with the Fram? I wouldn't think so, but wanted to get some feedback / opinions before I commit.

Thanks

Threads and gasket need to be exact, not just close. I would say you're probably fine. Check out a 9688 size. Similar to the 7317 size but wider. 3593A as well.

Last edited:
The threads match 100%. Gasket data is as follows:

Fram XG7317:
gasket ID: 2.218
gasket OD: 2.484

Fram direct replacement to LF3537 is PH3593A. Gasket data is as follows:
gasket ID: 2.125
gasket ID: 2.422

From what I see the gasket shouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted by opto_isolator
The threads match 100%. Gasket data is as follows:

Fram XG7317:
gasket ID: 2.218
gasket OD: 2.484

Fram direct replacement to LF3537 is PH3593A. Gasket data is as follows:
gasket ID: 2.125
gasket ID: 2.422

From what I see the gasket shouldn't be an issue.

The area where the gasket goes is usually plenty big enough to take several different size gaskets.

My concern - would there be any issues regarding the physical size difference of each one? I would guess flow rates wouldn't be an issue - correct?

Originally Posted by opto_isolator
My concern - would there be any issues regarding the physical size difference of each one? I would guess flow rates wouldn't be an issue - correct?

Filter won't change the oil flow rate.

Depending on the construction, the "smaller" filter may be more restrictive. But the media makes BIG difference. The media in the FRAM Ultra is high loft premium stuff and prob has a lot lower flow restriction even thought it's a smaller filter with less media.

Just curious why you're considering a different filter. Is it to get synthetic media, more commonly available ? Just curious.

Be sure to check the gasket to thread depth. I mean, the measured distance between the surface of the gasket and the point where the center threads begin. This distance depends largely on the shape (dish) of the bast plate. Many oil filter mounts have center studs and other arrangements that make this distance critical.

The same gasket size, thread size, bypass pressure, that's usually good enough for me. I also have to weight whether it make sense to buy a new filter wrench ($8) size to justify the savings (if it is $3 cheaper each and I buy 10 at a time).

Usually I use wix's website to check the spec between the 2 cars, then deduct whether the filter model can be used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DGXR
Be sure to check the gasket to thread depth. I mean, the measured distance between the surface of the gasket and the point where the center threads begin. This distance depends largely on the shape (dish) of the bast plate. Many oil filter mounts have center studs and other arrangements that make this distance critical.

This is a forgotten about but great point ^^^^^^^

There have been Purolator filters with a different base plate design that have leaked in the 14610 and 14612 sizes... The base plate is convex slightly on the new Purolator filters which has caused some issues... Especially motorcycle applications. Interestingly the Purolator Boss 14610 base plate is concave and actually more of what other filter model base plates look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back