Filter Minder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
We are talking INCHES OF WATER (IN H2O) NOT INCHES OF MERCURY (IN HG)!!!!!

Suck on a straw and it is easy to reach 10" H2O.

A properly installed filter minder can most certainly reach 10" H2O on OP's vehicle with a clogged air filter.

HTH

Yeah, huge difference between the two! 10"WC (Water) = 0.74"Hg.

I would personally not try to undersize the hole, just follow the instructions. The grommet will expand when the gauge is inserted, ensuring a good seal. I could see it possible that undersizing the hole might even make it harder to install, or possible cause damage to the grommet. Why not follow the instructions from the manufacturer? I'm no air filter restriction gauge expert, but I would guess that the manufacturer may know a little about their own product.

These gauges work well. I have installed many of them. As noted, they are calibrated in inches of water so that the 10 inch range you have chosen is on the low side, and the filter will not be damaged at this low differential pressure and the indicator has a spring loaded ratchet to to retain the highest recorded reading which occurs at wide open throttle and high RPM's. Follow the instructions for installation. The recommended 11/16" spade drill bit is the proper size and is a tight fit for the grommet. Use filter grease or wet the grommet to make it easier to insert. Inspect the air box carefully and check for reinforcing plastic ribs both inside and outside so that the grommet has a flat surface to seat against. Check for clearance for the indicator. If possible bring the air box inside and warm it up before drilling the hole so that the plastic stays flexible. Remember that dry air filter efficiency improves with use so these gauges allow you utilize the design life of the filter which saves money on filter cost and extends engine life. A rare win-win situation.

Originally Posted By: compratio10_5
These gauges work well. I have installed many of them. As noted, they are calibrated in inches of water so that the 10 inch range you have chosen is on the low side, and the filter will not be damaged at this low differential pressure and the indicator has a spring loaded ratchet to to retain the highest recorded reading which occurs at wide open throttle and high RPM's. Follow the instructions for installation. The recommended 11/16" spade drill bit is the proper size and is a tight fit for the grommet. Use filter grease or wet the grommet to make it easier to insert. Inspect the air box carefully and check for reinforcing plastic ribs both inside and outside so that the grommet has a flat surface to seat against. Check for clearance for the indicator. If possible bring the air box inside and warm it up before drilling the hole so that the plastic stays flexible. Remember that dry air filter efficiency improves with use so these gauges allow you utilize the design life of the filter which saves money on filter cost and extends engine life. A rare win-win situation.

Well said!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: compratio10_5

Thanks
thumbsup2.gif
Watching out for the ribs is a good reminder... Thanks also for letting me know about how tight the hole size is by default.

I had one of those in my 6.5 with a hx 35/40 turbo and it maxed it without any filter even on it. I'd not count on it very much.

I installed it Saturday morning and then took the Journey for a drive, redlining it on the highway with a clean FRAM air filter and when I got back the gauge had moved down at tad below the level it resets to when you push the button.

It was raining so I don't have pictures but I will take them when I can to show it here.

All in all it looks like a success and that it's working properly.

Last edited:
If you have the filter minder the first notch is 8" and that is what my S2000 had with a new filter. I made the air inlet hole larger and got rid of the restriction, now I get 0" with a new filter. Put 90k miles on that filter and the restriction was only back up to 8" after six years(11" of restriction or 6 years, whichever comes first).

ROD

Bah! don't need no stinking filter gauge, i just change the filter out annually along with the batteries in my smoke detectors.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Bah! don't need no stinking filter gauge, i just change the filter out annually along with the batteries in my smoke detectors.
lol.gif

My filters aren't cheap and I drive a ton of miles for work that is why. If I did a normal set of miles I would probably do the same.
grin2.gif

Here it is installed.

Had to put it here because of all the ribbing inside the top part of the air box.

I'll post where it showing in terms of restriction tomorrow. (About 10% lower than the reset position with a brand new filter).

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
I had one of those in my 6.5 with a hx 35/40 turbo and it maxed it without any filter even on it. I'd not count on it very much.

With a turbo diesel, and provided the filter can handle the differential, you can use a 25 or 30" gauge.
The Turbo will make up for the restriction with only a slight loss of efficiency. Basically its like going up in elevation, the turbo just sucks harder to keep the boost up so you don't notice a performance drop.
A N/A gas motor would have a pretty severe performance drop at 30", thats if the filter can even hold that without folding in on itself.

So after driving the Journey like I stole it today on our Toll Highway that is super expensive and usually empty, here is the reading.
This is with redlining it to 5500 rpm.

Normally it sits at about 10% with normal driving in the 3,000rpm range.

I'm thinking I might want to investigate a better air setup that breathes better. Thoughts?

Last edited:
It'll probably stay there for ages. The restriction probably isnt the fiter, but the inlet into the airbox.
For noise abatement, it wont go straight into the box, theres likely at least one resonator BEFORE it even gets there.
Check out where the inlet to the box is snaking to. Im sure it goes into the fender, down and around the frame, past Venus and through a big resonator before looping back up and pulling air from behind the headlight.
I don't know, just a guess.
Take a hole saw and drill a big hole (or two) right into the bottom of the box, like I do. Youll have more engine noise, however.

There is actually and air scoop just behind the hood and then it goes downward in a fairly large pipe but that has been flattened. then it converts to a round type pipe that feeds the airbox in the picture from the bottom. The section to the throttle body has nice smooth bends and fairly large pipe as well. I might have to play around and see what I can improve.

Yep even my 01 Tundra would show restriction at WOT and found a 3" tube that goes from the bottom to the airbox into the fender area. When I opened up the air box by cutting a rectangular hole facing behind the headlight (for some ram air effects yo!) the exhaust noise under WOT was much louder as if I went from a stock muffler to a flowmaster.

Loud would be ok. I actually have a Magnaflow muffler on there now because I damaged the stock one accidentally shortly after I got the car. It sounds great but being a 4 cylinder it never really goes anywhere in a hurry.

No I get it, I'm saying, I'm fine with the noise from the exhaust so any noise from the air intake wouldn't be noticed. It's quite loud now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back