Filter Minder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC

It can stay in the green forever for all I care, ...

But that's what I am saying - - - don't waste your time or money buying & installing it,
the indicator is NEVER going to move!

You need one that is more sensitive - one that has a lower max "Hg over the same range.

I don't think you have ever played with one, either - so you don't know how they really work.

They are spring loaded, and only have one "catch", and that is when maxed.

Find a friend with a diesel truck that has one, and while the engine is running block the air inlet with your hand or a board - - you will see the indicator come up, but AS SOON AS you take the restriction away - - - - it goes right back down to zero again.

So.... it will never ever ever ever provide any useful information to you until after the filter is already collapsed.

When I drove semi-truck, I had the same thing, but it was right in my dashboard. That is what you need. Something you can actually watch move.

Better yet, just get a dash mounted vacuum gauge????

Plumb it into the airbox (a very small nipple is all that's needed, or just push the vacuum tubing into a drilled hole.)

Can't I look at it when the vehicle is running to see what it's pulling? That's fine too.

NO - because the engine will NEVER be under load, unless you are watching it while on a chassis dyno at full HP production.

So then I should be able to run my air filters forever then if it never sees restriction. ?!?
lol.gif

So then I should be able to run my air filters forever then if it never sees restriction. ?!?
lol.gif

Theoretically - - yes.

Try one of these instead. That way you get "real time" information.... like when accelerating up a steep hill.

vactool1.jpg

Just remember that the needle won't move until you reach max torue/max HP.

At *ALL* part throttle operation, you'll typically see "zero".

Start with a new filter, then find a place to make max HP (isolated road?) so you can establish a "baseline" number (Say, 2"Hg) as a "datum point".

That way once you reach 5"-6" HG under full throttle, then you will know it is time to change the filter.

Any other method of approaching this does not fall under any form of scientific method.
You can NOT reach any conclusions unless you are collecting the data properly.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I don't think you have ever played with one, either - so you don't know how they really work.

They are spring loaded, and only have one "catch", and that is when maxed.

Find a friend with a diesel truck that has one, and while the engine is running block the air inlet with your hand or a board - - you will see the indicator come up, but AS SOON AS you take the restriction away - - - - it goes right back down to zero again.

So.... it will never ever ever ever provide any useful information to you until after the filter is already collapsed.
No-that's not true-they do stay in the position that they pull down to after the engine is stopped-

That's from my F-450-it runs on the highway at pretty much 100% of throttle position, plus it has a 2 stage foam & paper air filter. Apparently the photos here have to be shot in landscape mode!

Last edited:
That's fine, I'll still install it then.

There wouldn't be any point in doing that, if it never gives any data that can be used.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

That's from my F-450-it runs on the highway at pretty much 100% of throttle position, plus it has a 2 stage foam & paper air filter. Apparently the photos here have to be shot in landscape mode!

I stand corrected, I haven't used that particular style. The ones I am used to are not as elaborate.
TM-5-4210-230-14P-1_712_4.jpg

When I put it in this weekend I will see if I can do some quick revs to the redline in park and see if it moves at all and if it does I will video it. I don't have a dyno at home and while I do have access to one it's not readily available so this will have to do.

Last edited:
When I put it in this weekend I will see if I can do some quick revs to the redline in park and see if it moves at all and if it does I will video it.

Interesting... but a "neutral rev" isn't a high-load situation.
You might actually see some movement, especially with an old filter -- but I kind of doubt it.

We are talking INCHES OF WATER (IN H2O) NOT INCHES OF MERCURY (IN HG)!!!!!

Suck on a straw and it is easy to reach 10" H2O.

A properly installed filter minder can most certainly reach 10" H2O on OP's vehicle with a clogged air filter.

HTH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
When I put it in this weekend I will see if I can do some quick revs to the redline in park and see if it moves at all and if it does I will video it.

Interesting... but a "neutral rev" isn't a high-load situation.
You might actually see some movement, especially with an old filter -- but I kind of doubt it.

When I put it in this weekend I will see if I can do some quick revs to the redline in park and see if it moves at all and if it does I will video it. I don't have a dyno at home and while I do have access to one it's not readily available so this will have to do.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Measure the sealing surface then drill a hole about .050 smaller. When you put the gauge in it wil expand the grommet. No sealer needed.

I was thinking a 21/64 hole instead of the 11/32. My dad has odd size bits.

BMW for cars built after 2012, specs a drill size between those two sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back