Filling up new oil filter prior to installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT HASSLE? You mean that you do not have the time to take the three to five minutes it takes to pre fill? In my particular vehicle, 07 RAM 1500 4.7 V-8, the oil filter mounts at approximately a 45 degree upward angle so, I am able, and have the good sense, to prefill to about 80 of the filter capacity before installing the new filter. You would be amazed at just how much oil one of the "small filters" actually hold, almost 3/4 of a quart. It is up to you, but, in my book, the least amount of time to bring the oil pressure up to spec, the better.... P.S. the after market filter re-location kits that mount in the upper engine compartment will enable a person to COMPLETELY FILL their filter, virtually eliminating ANY "dry starts" after your oil change....

Quote:

Quote:

I've been pre-filling my filters prior to the oil change. I like to do it the day before so that the media soaks it in. Then I top off the filter just before installation.

Yes, as the day of the oil change approaches, one can start preparing: pre-fill the filter, remove the rings from the bottle caps, relocate the oil bottles and filter to the workshop (or in winter to a warm place so more oil comes out of the bottles). All this helps to build the momentum and excitement so that on the day of the change, you can hardly stand it anymore and are ready to jump right in. It builds up to the climax when you pour the new oil in. After that it's all cleanup and disposal.

laugh.gif

You have to be careful of the premature fill.

It drives me nuts that the filters on my Yukon and my roadrunner are both sideways. I just put a little oil in them and roll them a little and then install as quickly as possible. On an up and down filter, I absolutely fill first.

Something I have always wondered about.....

In one of my Ducati sevice manuals, authored by LT Snyder (a well known Certified Ducati Service Tech) he states to only pre-fill the oil filter half-way prior to installation in order to avoid locking up the lubrication system. Later he describes it as a no oil pressure condition after an oil change.

I've often wondered how this happens.

Last edited:
That Ducati manual makes no sense to me. Maybe you can email LT Synder about it.

My F150 (4.9L inline six) takes the filter sideways, but since there is a lot of room around the filter area, I can fill it nearly to the brim and get it on with only a little loss. Basically hold it upright at the stud, flip up and spin.

Pre filled my filter half way before I started an oil change yesterday, By the time I installed it most of it had been soaked up by the filter element. Did not spill a drop.
driving.gif

Ducatis' recommendation may very well be an issue with the oil pump priming. John Deere had problems some years ago with oil pumps not pressurizing the system after an oil change. The solution was to drill a very small air bleed hole in the pump housing outlet side. Maybe Ducati has a similar issue and the pump needs zero froward pressure to prime ie an air pocket in front of the pump? I have always prefilled my oil filters whenever possible and never an issue with my vehicles.

Mark me as another pre-filler.

Heck, I even do it on my BMW cartridge filter - I have a coffee can that I soak the filter in (new GC) and let it saturate, then drain it a little and put her in the housing. The oil left in the can then goes in via the filler. (of course the coffee can is kept pristine and stored with plastic lid in place...)

Quote:

Mark me as another pre-filler.

Heck, I even do it on my BMW cartridge filter - I have a coffee can that I soak the filter in (new GC) and let it saturate, then drain it a little and put her in the housing. The oil left in the can then goes in via the filler. (of course the coffee can is kept pristine and stored with plastic lid in place...)

Had to chuckle as I do almost the same thing with my 07 2.2 ecotech. While it probably does very little, as the housing can't be pre-filled, just call me old fashioned.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Ducatis' recommendation may very well be an issue with the oil pump priming. John Deere had problems some years ago with oil pumps not pressurizing the system after an oil change. The solution was to drill a very small air bleed hole in the pump housing outlet side. Maybe Ducati has a similar issue and the pump needs zero froward pressure to prime ie an air pocket in front of the pump? I have always prefilled my oil filters whenever possible and never an issue with my vehicles.

I e-mailed the author of this particular manual and he did confirm that the 4-valve Desmo needs zero pressure in front of the pump to obtain prime.

http://www.desmotimes.com/

you guys are crazy! i never pre-fill. i have done it once, and it ended with my spilling oil all over myself because the filter slipped out of my hand. who cares, it makes no difference.

I usually just put about 1/10-2/10 of a quart in it, so that when I turn it to install it, it doesn't spill all over the place. Sucks having a horizontal filter mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back