FIAT is back......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ammolab
All the people talking about all the wrecks they had in their SUVs Explorers or F150s...

Did you ever think of all the accidents that small MANOVERABLE small cars just don't HAVE?

Some vehicles that are much more nimble and less roll over prone than your road yachts just avoid some of those accidents altogether.

Well, that "Ultra Nimble" Camry didn't avoid getting turned into a tinfoil sheet by the F-250 now did it?

None of the accidents I've been in could have been avoided by being in a smaller car. Though I assume the results would have been different. T-boning a Crown Vic at 50Km an hour worked out pretty well for the Explorer. Took it like a champ. Wonder how well that would have worked out with a small car? Would it have been written off? Would I have sustained any injuries? I didn't in the Explorer.

I was STOPPED when I got rear-ended in the Expedition. Was rear-ended by a Dodge Caravan. The Expedition didn't even get a SCRATCH. The Reese hitch took the impact, put a nice hole in the front of the van. Had I been in a small car, there would have been significant damage to the vehicle.

The other accident in the Explorer, I was changing lanes, I was half-way through the lane change and a guy in a WRX thought he could make it by me before my lane change was complete. He was wrong. Must have been some of that "super nimble small car" attitude going on..... Like the one you seem to have. The rear tire of the Explorer caught the lip of the door of the WRX and tore the entire side off the car including the front clip. The Explorer sustained a 4" scrape above the rear wheel well.

BTW, my Town Car has full PI springs and shocks, upgraded sway bars, poly bushings and rolls on 17x9 Cobra R's with 275's in the back, 245's in the front. Also has a warmed over 302HO under the hood and POSI in the rear. It's no M5, but it has out-handled quite a few small cars on the windy roads I've played on. Just because a vehicle is big doesn't mean it can't handle either.

All the people talking about all the wrecks they had in their SUVs Explorers or F150s...

Did you ever think of all the accidents that small MANOVERABLE small cars just don't HAVE?

Some vehicles that are much more nimble and less roll over prone than your road yachts just avoid some of those accidents altogether.

Nope they don't drive one.. all my wrecks have been with bigger vehicles well until I learn to maneuver around them. Driving a bigger vehicle is just a cover to hide poor driving skills like a push up bra is well you know. Sounds like alot of wrecks could of been avoided with some offensive driving. This big versus small debate on here does nothing but remind me how many idiots there are in the world.. I would expect better from a place such as this. Drove small cars for 16 years and only had 1 major wreck based on the people on this forum I should be dead by now.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

Nope they don't drive one.. all my wrecks have been with bigger vehicles well until I learn to maneuver around them. Driving a bigger vehicle is just a cover to hide poor driving skills like a push up bra is well you know. Sounds like alot of wrecks could of been avoided with some offensive driving. This big versus small debate on here does nothing but remind me how many idiots there are in the world.. I would expect better from a place such as this. Drove small cars for 16 years and only had 1 major wreck based on the people on this forum I should be dead by now.

You know I drive a larger vehicle because I like driving a larger vehicle, and because I have three kids and a Newfoundland to cart around. The only alternative would be a van, which wouldn't be as capable for towing and going the places I take the 4-wheeler.

It has nothing to do with driver skill in my case, and I'm sure many others who CHOOSE to drive trucks and SUV's.

I have a small car..... And put many, MANY hard miles on its predecessor (my '87 GT T-Top) which, as far as smaller cars go, didn't handle all that well, and didn't stop all that well either. But it would move.

But I can't fit my wife and kids in a Fox Mustang. Let alone my Newfoundland. So you stereotyping those who drive large vehicles as unskilled are doing a disservice to your cause, as you appear pious and self-righteous in proclaiming your "superior skills". I wonder who is worse, the "takin' it easy" old timer in his F-150 driving nowhere near the limits of his vehicle, or the over-confident guy in the small car who cuts in and out of traffic like he's Mario Andretti? Oh wait, I'm stereotyping... Sound familiar?

There are stupid people in every type of vehicle on the road. They are probably just more DANGEROUS in a large vehicle. That doesn't mean everybody driving a large vehicle is stupid.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I was STOPPED when I got rear-ended in the Expedition. Was rear-ended by a Dodge Caravan. The Expedition didn't even get a SCRATCH. The Reese hitch took the impact, put a nice hole in the front of the van. Had I been in a small car, there would have been significant damage to the vehicle.

Pretty sure you can thank Reese and not Ford for the lack of damage to your vehicle.

Clark

FIAT is back whoop de do!!! Didn't buy one then and won't buy one now. Too much like a Chrysler product. Though my 70 Challenger was a fun cat.

Originally Posted By: ClarkB

Pretty sure you can thank Reese and not Ford for the lack of damage to your vehicle.

Clark

Well, it's a factory Reese hitch, LOL!
grin.gif
All of our Expie's ('98, '00 and the '02) have had them.

ammolab said:
The other accident in the Explorer, I was changing lanes, I was half-way through the lane change and a guy in a WRX thought he could make it by me before my lane change was complete. He was wrong. Must have been some of that "super nimble small car" attitude going on..... Like the one you seem to have. The rear tire of the Explorer caught the lip of the door of the WRX and tore the entire side off the car including the front clip. The Explorer sustained a 4" scrape above the rear wheel well.

For sure small cars suffer in an impact with a larger vehicle. IF that WRX driver had been in a Suburban You all may be dead right now...that is better? Though you may have seen a Suburban and yielded the right of way to an overtaking vehicle.

Your town car sounds trick! You gotta know that the average Town Car is a clapped out 'dangermmobile' by now, right?

ammolab said:

For sure small cars suffer in an impact with a larger vehicle. IF that WRX driver had been in a Suburban You all may be dead right now...that is better? Though you may have seen a Suburban and yielded the right of way to an overtaking vehicle.

Your town car sounds trick! You gotta know that the average Town Car is a clapped out 'dangermmobile' by now, right?

Yes, the townie is quite the car. Needs some interior work (split passenger seat) but it is in very good shape for its mileage and has been well looked after during its life with our family.

As far as the accident with the Subaru went, I should probably explain it better.

Our town has two two-lane one-way streets that run parallel to each other through the downtown core. Speed limit is 50Km/h. Obviously, given that it is an urban environment, there are streets that intersect these one-way's.

I was just coming out of the downtown core, and was doing probably around 55-60Km/h. I passed one of these side streets, checked my blind spot, and signalled to do a lane change.

While this was taking place, a guy in a blue WRX pulled out of that side street. Saw me signalling my intention to change lanes and I guess figured he could "zip" by me before my lane change was complete.

I was already part-way through the lane change when he began his (rapid) approach to overtake me in the lane I was already on my way into.

I felt a slight "thump", and then saw this car all over the place in my mirror. My cousin remarked "you just hit that guy" and so I pulled over.

His wife was in the passenger seat. If looks could kill.....

He was very bubbly and apologetic.... He conceded that it was his wife's car, that they had just got it, and he was taking her out for a "drive" in it. I assume that part of that "drive" was to show her how quick it was, and probably not to lose from the door forward on the drivers side to somebody's tire.

Had it been a Suburban you ask? I don't think the situation could have been replicated. But bumping into the side of a Suburban at such a low speed, I doubt any injuries would have happened. Probably just a more even distribution of the damage, since we would have been swapping paint and body panels, instead of just a tire to the side of a car.

If we could leave aside the crash argument for a moment, I really like the idea of a small car with ample power and a manual transmission. I wish more people did, so we would have a viable used market for these cars, and a new car market that is competitive.

I think the Mini Cooper trounces the 500 when it comes to power and performance, not to mention overall vehicle quality. And then it seems there is a larger step down to the Ford Fiesta. There are some products from Toyota, Nissan and Honda, but they really aren't that small. If it were me, I'd take one of the Minis until the others catch up.

Originally Posted By: crw
If we could leave aside the crash argument for a moment, I really like the idea of a small car with ample power and a manual transmission. I wish more people did, so we would have a viable used market for these cars, and a new car market that is competitive.

I think the Mini Cooper trounces the 500 when it comes to power and performance, not to mention overall vehicle quality. And then it seems there is a larger step down to the Ford Fiesta. There are some products from Toyota, Nissan and Honda, but they really aren't that small. If it were me, I'd take one of the Minis until the others catch up.

I've seen a couple 500's now and they do look sharp and actually not all that small. It seems to me that the 500 will be a "ladies" car more than the MINI's are, so the relative amounts of hp won't matter much.
I am seeing more Mazda2's as well, one white with a dark tint looked very sharp. All these cars could use a few more hp but I guess it must cost some mileage to do so?

Roger that on the "crash topic"...back to FIATs.

I had a 1972 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. Great car and quite advanced for the time. 1600cc DOHC with down draft Weber carbs and fully sycronized FIVE speed manual, and disc brakes all around. Nice seats for 4 and a very good driving, good looking car.

Sad thing was..at 80,000 miles it was pretty much SPENT. What was not worn out was rusted out. Hope that FIAT is building as much quality as FUN into their cars today. The 500 is a HUGE seller in the UK and contential Europe. There should be some 'quality' feedback available somewhere!

I ran by the local Fiat dealer last night just to sniff around. The tiny 500 is certainly a cute little car.

Very first impression was that as I pulled on the chromed plastic door handle it felt like it would immediately snap off.

I'm going back today for a test drive and a thorough inspection. I fear it will take a few years to polish the shortcomings.

Price for a stripped manual gearbox model... $17,000 even.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I fear it will take a few years to polish the shortcomings.

crazy2.gif

The "new" Fiat 500 is only new to the US market. It has been in production since 2007. They have had a few years to work on the shortcomings.

Why NOT give the Fiat a whirl ?! Despite their past issues. It wasn't all that long ago the Korean cars (Hyundai, Kia) were considered disposable...

(Frankly, I have yet to see any true long term Hyundai, Kia owners -Not saying they don't exist, just saying I haven't seen any LONG term owners)

Bottom line: If you like the way it drives and the price is right: Go for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: needsducktape
Why NOT give the Fiat a whirl ?! Despite their past issues. It wasn't all that long ago the Korean cars (Hyundai, Kia) were considered disposable...

(Frankly, I have yet to see any true long term Hyundai, Kia owners -Not saying they don't exist, just saying I haven't seen any LONG term owners)

Bottom line: If you like the way it drives and the price is right: Go for it.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: FowVay

crazy2.gif

I drove a 2000 Audi S4 for Ten years...cost me more than $17,000 in repairs. I can get a Whole FIAT for that, huh?

Jumping in late here!

FIAT has alot of proving to do as we kicked their A$$3$ out of here a long time ago. They had better build something more than just a fuel efficient car. It had better be great! Selling them at a Chrysler dealership doesn't sound like succuss to me.

The last FIAT 128 that was sold here in the states was actually a YUGO. And we all know what a POS it was! I just don't have any faith in FIAT.

They were once a nitch car with a cool Targa Top and a mid or rear engine but, nitch was the best thing that could be said about a FIAT. And they sounded like **** too!
Blaaaaaaaaaa,shift, blaaaaaaaaaa,shift, blaaaaaaaa,shift, blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Don't beat me up, I'm just raggin'...I haven't taken them seriously yet!...FIAT, gimm'e a break! Maybe the cars they build over in Europe are good cars but, that's over in Europe!

Man, am I going to be score tomorrow morning!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back