FIAT is back......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep... I did a double take when I frst saw a line of them up on a hill at some out of town car dealership. I then saw the FIAT logo and cracked a smile... I remember them from a visit to Italy some 15 years ago.

Are these the next hipster little car, or still Found In A Trashcan?

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Yep... I did a double take when I frst saw a line of them up on a hill at some out of town car dealership. I then saw the FIAT logo and cracked a smile... I remember them from a visit to Italy some 15 years ago.

Are these the next hipster little car, or still Found In A Trashcan?

The 500 is a neat looking little car. I could see myself driving one.

Fiat-500_Abarth_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_02.jpg

Not bad looking but has similar hp and curb weight and fuel rating as a 10 year old saturn. And an sc1 looks better

Last edited:
We'll see how it does. They will have a tough gig convincing the US market that they've mastered a reliable car. They were a stinker last time they were imported here.

They do look cool, but I'm not into little cars. I like my full size sedans.

Small cars are unsafe. This is especially true in the US, where unlike Europe, most people have larger vehicles. F=ma.

Check this out. It is similar to what I show my college students when explaining Newton's second law of linear motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he6TL15pJtw&feature=related

I don't remember the original Mini Cooper being reliable but the new Mini has been a pretty big hit.

-I like the look of the Fiat more to be honest.

As far as reliability - Hmm we'll see. I don't think it matters to many buyers (as much as we'd like to believe it does). I used to work in motor cycle sales (multiple brands) and for the most part people would buy based on the looks alone.

VW has some serious issues (for years) and that doesn't seem to keep certain people away.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Only because other people are not driving small cars.

You sure about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-BHqUh4h04&feature=related

It is certainly better to hit a small car vs. a big car if you are driving a small car, but they are still dangerous.

The problem is that even when the masses of the cars are about the same, the time component of the collision is still less with smaller cars, resulting in higher impact forces. This same thing applies when a car would hit a stationary object, like a building or concrete road barrier. The shorter crumple zones contribute to the anatomy of the impulse.

Those wrecks were fun to watch... since it was just test dummies in them. SMART cars don't seem so smart in a wreck. I feel the Focus is a tin can.. I drive one for work. I wouln't want to go smaller considering what else is on the road with me.

Some of the Euro cars have had a lousy go in the US Market.. particularly the non-luxuries like Renault, and Fiat. VW got in a good time back when and has hung in there OK. Other than VW, I can't think of any Euro mass-market car that's done OK here in the USA.

The only plus I can see is if you lived in an urban area where parking was prime.

Poor mpg, no room, short wheelbase, will parts be scarce? No thanks...

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Only because other people are not driving small cars.

You sure about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-BHqUh4h04&feature=related

It is certainly better to hit a small car vs. a big car if you are driving a small car, but they are still dangerous.

The problem is that even when the masses of the cars are about the same, the time component of the collision is still less with smaller cars, resulting in higher impact forces. This same thing applies when a car would hit a stationary object, like a building or concrete road barrier. The shorter crumple zones contribute to the anatomy of the impulse.

And at what point in the arms race fueled by the bigger = safer does both sides agree 'safety' has been attained and call it a day - when we're all driving tractor trailers perhaps. As, by your logic, anything smaller is unsafe since no matter what you're driving - short of a tractor trailer - a head on collision with one is still going to produce the same result. The only consequence in being the occupant of a Hummer in such a collision means more wreckage to be hauled off and sold for scrap.

-Spyder

I often think about the late Model Civic an old lady was driving when she decided to hit my E-150 while I was stopped at a stop sign allowing a mother and child to cross a normally quiet intersection. Her Civic had a few grand in damage, busted radiator, and needed to be towed. I had a scatch under the rear bumper. Bigger was better in this case.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I often think about the late Model Civic an old lady was driving when she decided to hit my E-150 while I was stopped at a stop sign allowing a mother and child to cross a normally quiet intersection. Her Civic had a few grand in damage, busted radiator, and needed to be towed. I had a scatch under the rear bumper. Bigger was better in this case.

And if it had been a tractor trailer that hit your E-150, you would likely not be around to post this while the tractor trailer would have had the same scratch on his bumper and the same rationale would have applied. Fortunately that wasn't the case!

FWIW, even if I could get around the claustrophobia I'd feel in something the size of the car pictured in this thread, I wouldn't feel safe in it. As I've said of the Smart Car: sitting in something that small would make me feel like the proverbial hockey puck just waiting for the slapshot.

On the other hand, that needs to - for me - be tempered by the realization that once I've found something with enough room to avoid any claustrophobic like feelings and have reasonable everyday utility, gas prices put an opposing pressure that puts my own comfortable equilibrium in the size car I own now and will continue to seek in the future.

Even though it is by no measure 'large,' and also rides pretty low (something I actually prefer), I don't feel unsafe in it. Nor do the occasional driver in much a larger vehicle who tries to use that size as intimidation (by tailgating and other aggressive practices) have any effect on me.

Its modest size, 3 point belts, dual airbags, and engineered crumple zones provide all I require on the safety side. The rest has more to do with the driver than what he's driving, and no amount of size and weight can compensate for poor and unsafe driving practices. I think some even opt for larger and heavier not out of any kind of utility, but solely or primarily to protect themselves from their own poor driving; either that or that extra size and weight leads them to push the envelope a lot further than they should, and much further than someone who isn't using this as their main criteria for vehicle selection.

(note: above comments not directed at you personally Frank)

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

Small cars are unsafe. This is especially true in the US, where unlike Europe, most people have larger vehicles. F=ma.

Check this out. It is similar to what I show my college students when explaining Newton's second law of linear motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he6TL15pJtw&feature=related

Even the dummies look good in the Mercedes. Hopefully my next car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back