Fiat 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a good friend who wants to buy a Fiat 500 - trading in his totally reliable 8 year old low miles Toyota PU.

Thoughts? Quality, value, reliable?

Can't comment on the quality or reliability, but I think those little cars are cool looking.

I'd get a white one with the Italian racing stripe down the middle.

Well, the Fiat 500 is a cute little spud. Unfortunately, we have no experience with them here. They seem to be somewhat pricy for a sub-sub-compact.

If it were me, I'd go with a Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta and let others be the guinea pigs for the 500.

Too expensive for what you get - you're paying for the 'cute chique' thing with this car.

Much more value in an Accent, Mazda 2, etc....

Funny, I just test drove both the manual and automatic 500s this weekend and thought that overall, it was a very good car. The car rides like a mid-size sedan, it does not drive like its size. The ride is compliant and it is not jittery at all. The shifter for the manual is fine, it's no BMW, but at no point was I questioning what gear I was in. I was not a fan of the clutch take-up; it was an on or off clutch, there was pretty much no progression. The auto transmission is fine; shifts smoothly appears to be geared well. Throttle tip in, for the automatic, is progressive and linear. The brakes are amazing, the 4-wheel discs are much better than on the Mazda2 or Yaris. This car is much easier to live with on a daily basis that a mini cooper, which in my opinion, is too high strung to be a commuter car. Only problems I guess may be its long term reliabiilty, which is up in the air now.

I had one for a rental. Not bad, but with only 7k on the clock the horn didn't work and the door hinge was all messed up.

I think for a city car it's fine, but I'd rather get the new Focus for that much money.

It's an interesting little car. It's up to him. If that's what he wants, tell him to get it. If I had the money, I'd do what I did again and get my cruze. Just because while I don't really like boatmobiles, I don't really want a subcompact either.

As a owner of the Fiat 500 I have nothing but good things to say. Handling is great, great on gas people always stop you and ask about it. I have the stick shift five speed which has been used since the car came out in 2006 I know the auto is new for the American version so I was a little scared to get the auto because of it being new. If you have a question for me feel free to ask and I will be happy to help.

Fact that the door hinge was messed up could be from rental abuse...Although, like i said, reliability is unknown, as is resale value.

Im getting about 35 city-43 highway I drive about 80% highway 66 miles a day, I have not had any issues so far since I bought it. Seems like the kinda car with some tlc it will last forever.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
Fact that the door hinge was messed up could be from rental abuse...Although, like i said, reliability is unknown, as is resale value.

It was not messed up from someone hanging the door or something stupid -- the hinge itself was coming apart.

Not to bring up a old topic but when I took my Fiat in for service, they said the hinge is a issue and was repaired for free, kinda like a soft recall just fix and forget.

I have to chuckle at all the oldsters here bashing a model from a company that left the US back in the 80s. FIAT is not the same company it was back then, the products are actually pretty good and while reliability isn't up to Toyota levels it is pretty darn good matching some mid level players today.

I's wait for the 500 Abarth...it will be the modern incarnation of the much loved A2 Golf GTI 2L 16 v that was sold in the US back in the early 90s and late 80s.

I think the abarth will be a cool car but I want to see and test drive the american version. I think the price will be a little to much also. I love my little 500 but I cant wait for the Alfas to get over here.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
I have to chuckle at all the oldsters here bashing a model from a company that left the US back in the 80s. FIAT is not the same company it was back then, the products are actually pretty good and while reliability isn't up to Toyota levels it is pretty darn good matching some mid level players today.

I's wait for the 500 Abarth...it will be the modern incarnation of the much loved A2 Golf GTI 2L 16 v that was sold in the US back in the early 90s and late 80s.

At least they're consistent, LOL. Reminds me of the people who won't buy a Chevy because their Uncle Bob had a Vega in 1971 and had nothing but problems with it.

According to an article in USA Today these cars are not selling. There is over a 6 months supply. Some dealerships have not sold a single car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back