Federal Hydra Shok handgun round. Anything more powerful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some terminal ballisticians who post on occasion at TacticalForums.com; hi-powered guys who advise the FBI and manufacturers on their ammo testing procedures, as well as performing basic research in the area. A fellow by the handle of DocGKR offered the following testing summary about a year ago. All ammo passed the IWBA penetration criteria for bare gelatin and denim-covered gelatin. (See the FBI paper "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness" for further info.)

Quote:

Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers-pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits you likely engagement scenarios.

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP (53617)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP (53619)
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

.40 S&W:
Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP (53961)
Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP (53966)
Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)

.45 ACP:
Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Notes:
-- Obviously, clone loads using the same bullet at the same velocity work equally well (ie. Black Hills ammo using Gold Dot bullets, etc...)

----------------------------------------

Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers--pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits you likely engagement scenarios. Whatever you choose, make sure you fire at least 500 and preferrably 1000 failure free shots through your pistol prior to using it for duty. If your pistol cannot fire at least 1000 consecutive shots without a malfunction, something is wrong and it is not suitable for duty/self-defense use.

------------------------------------------

The keys are:

-- Cultivate a warrior mindset
-- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice
-- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system
-- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.

You might also want to review the results at http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs9.htm.

Federal Classic .357 mag 125 gr JHP seem to do fine, but so do other makes of the same load. They're very manageable but loud in a 6in revolver, and kind of stupid in an airweight sub nose :^)

IIRC, it was Hydra-Shok that brought the hollowpoint out of the dark ages and set the stage for the neo-modern designs that we are blessed with today. IIRC, it all started with a .38 SPL lead wadcutter hollowpoint design called the "Scorpoin" that was the first and true Hydra Shok bullet with the post in the center.

Fast forward a decade or two and we still have the Hydrashok competing with competitors that owe their existence to the design and improvements that manifested with the HydraShok.

I'm not sure about more powerful, but different design and manufacturing techniques have given us bonded rounds and heavily swaged rounds that overcome fragmenting and jacket/core separation.

This seems to be the norm nowadays for law enforcement, civilian personal protection, and hunting. Even the tried and true Remington "CoreLokt" softpoint is seeing steady competition from bonded softpoint hunting loads.

You guys might want to check this place out. He is making some of the best rounds out there going by what other people are saying on other sites and his balistic tests. He is big into the 10mm as well and is loading the 10 to their true power unlike most others.

"..it was Hydra-Shok that brought the hollowpoint out of the dark ages"

Federal Classic .357 mag 125 gr JHP seems to have done just fine over the years. I guess some of the simpler designs are more reliable in a wider variety of situations, but they are so boring aren't they ?

TOUCHE!!! Thank you for refreshing my memory...you are correct...there are several other types/brands of loads that have done wonderfully throughout the years...

in .38 spl/.38 spl +p...

125 grain Federal (originally Smith & Wesson) .38 spl Nyclad lead semiwadcutter hollowpoint...the Chief's load

158 grain (multiple manufacturers) .38 spl +p lead semiwadcutter hollowpoint...the FBI load; Chicago load, etc.

in .357 magnum

125 grain (Remington & Federal) .357 magnum semijacketed hollowpoint...WOW!; awesome law enforcement and personal defense load for all steel 4" barreled or longer .357 magnum revolvers

Boring...NAH; I was just focused on the different generations of hydrashoks...starting with the Scorpion load...

isttruck, I agree with you. The Federal 125 grain .357 mag round was about the most effective round ever. And I also agree with you that you need a six inch barrel revolver for shotting it. Super light weight .357s or .44 mags are really pretty silly. Heck, a super light weight .38 Special can be very uncomfortable to shoot, and I have shot .44 mags.

I have to say that the two handguns I like about the best are the .357 and the 1911 .45. But I was able to shoot a very accurate 38 Super that really impressed me also. I almost bought it. One of the most accurate handguns I have ever shot.

"SPEER Gold Dots, you mean?"

if you were referring to the choices that I listed for .38 special...NEGATIVE...

way before the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain .38 +p for snubbies was developed 2 years ago, the 'Golden Standard' for .38 special snubbies was the 125 grain Nyclad lead semiwadcutter hollowpoint in non +p; the 'Golden Standard' for service revolvers (4" tubes optimally & 3" tubes marginally) in .38 special was 158 grain lead semiwadcutter hollowpoint in +p to increase capability (eg: departments, agaencies, and institutions that continued to issue steel frame .38 special service revolvers instead of .357 magnum revolvers or 9mm hi-capacity semiautomatics)

some people have developed substantial stashes of Nyclad lead semiwadcutter hollowpoint loads before they stopped production (125 grain non +p & later variations in 125 grain +p and 158 grain +p); the 158 grain +p lead semiwadcutter hollowpoint is still loaded by Winchester & Remington and remains a favorite for wheely fans that still utilize revolvers for self defense

Quote:

Remember that WWII was won with ball ammo. I like the performance of FMJ ammo properly loaded.

Chris

Because we aren't allowed to use anything else in a military conflict.

Basing your carry ammo on that is just silly.

Carry the 158 lead SWCHP +P made by ether Federal or Winchester in a model 638 snub. It does indeed whack me pretty hard and I feel like somebody's rented mule. Five of those are certainly enough. I trust that round, though.

John.

While basing a carry ammo requirement on what was used 60 years ago may not have merit. I do know this, properly loaded (not tagret) 45acp FMJ will penetrate 15 layers of type 19 kevlar everytime. What this means to you it that the ammo has excellent penetration of clothing, has plenty of power and will cycle properly in nearly any gun.

I tend to think reliability is important, that is why I generally only put the first round as a defense round. The rest are FMJ.

But what do I know? I have only had to use my gun once to save my life.

Chris

Quote:

I do know this, properly loaded (not tagret) 45acp FMJ will penetrate 15 layers of type 19 kevlar everytime. What this means to you it that the ammo has excellent penetration of clothing

and 9mm will do better

I know for a fact that cheap UMC semi-wad cutter 44Mag rounds bought at K-Mart will penatrate 27 layers of type 19 kevlar anytime you want! If you actualy load your own or use premium amunation then 27 layers of type 19 Kevlar seems like childs play. Garret has a 310gr. load made specificly for SuperRedhawks and like pistols that will work very well as backup on dangerious game! I know their are hotter designs on the market today but you can not find .454 Casull or .480 Ruger or .500 S&W at K-Mart. If my Dillon breaks down I can always go to K-Mart!

Too many people use way to small of a cartridge to get the job done! You do not need 20-40 round capacity or 3000fps or any such craziness. I still think that barring body armor a slow heavy bullet will do a better job of damageing human flesh. Their is a reason that our soldiers especialy special op's still prefer the 45ACP over the 9mm and why they are still to this day asking for something heavier then the 5.56/.223!

Quote:

Gold dots are the best at the moment. Time and technology march on. One of the worst objects for a hand gun round to go through is glass. The person you are shooting at will have more damage done from glass fragmentation over the impact of the bullet. Glass is a bullet killer.
I just bought replacement Federal Gold Dots for my 9 mm and .45. I was carrying magazines filled with alternating Hydra Shocks and Silver tips.

Federal does not make gold dots, Speer does.

Quote:

Dan4510,

Those are nasty rounds. I've heard it said that the 10mm is about equal to a .41 magnum round. Both will get the job done well.

If you want 10mm to be brought out to it's full
potential. I suggest that doubletap be looked at.

Doubletap brings out the full potential that the 10mm
was desighned for!

Quote:

Quote:

Dan4510,

Those are nasty rounds. I've heard it said that the 10mm is about equal to a .41 magnum round. Both will get the job done well.

If you want 10mm to be brought out to it's full
potential. I suggest that doubletap be looked at.

Doubletap brings out the full potential that the 10mm
was desighned for!

Buffalobore does as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back