Features You Forget Your Vehicle Has

The Sienna with engage the parking brake if you try to drive it with a door open. Occasionally I have needed to pull up/back up a little in a parking spot or something and totally forget about it. It usually takes me a sec to figure out what is going on.

I never use this forgotten feature in the LS400:

Hold the fob unlock button down or insert the key into the door and hold in the unlock position - all the windows and the sunroof open until the button/key is released.

It took me a while before I found the first aid kit under the driver's seat. I just happened to see it in the exploded view of the front seat components in the service manual. There's no mention of it in the owner's manual. I probably need to replace all the stuff that's stored within.

I love the VW cubby on the left side of the dash. My Walther PPS fits in there perfectly. Only downside VW has is you can’t open the hood with the door shut.

Our Tucson has a feature where you can move the car forward or reverse slowly with the key fob while not being in it. I'm sorry but I think this is a stupid feature.

I guess I’m the only guy that reads the owners manual when I get a car… 🤷‍♂️
I really did on my 1998 Maxima purchased new. On my 2006 LS430 purchased used, I did not. There are like 3 books. And it cost me. I literally broke the end cap on 1/2 fobs as a result, prying it off to replace the 2032 coin cell. For the longest time I was all ghetto (held on with duct tape), until I found a random LS430 valet fob never used for $15 on eBay. The guts were useless to me, as was the shell since it had a key blade for another car. But I was able to take the end piece restoring my fob. This allows the key blade to remain locked outward, if needed. 😡

The remote windows down function in my 2017 Ridgeline was initially a totally undocumented feature. One day I went out after a rain shower and found all my windows half way down. My first reaction was a computer glitch, but after thinking about it a few minutes I seemed to remembered that our other Honda car, an Accord from 25 years earlier, allowed us to put the windows down when we got close enough to use the key fob. I scoured my owners manual looking for the instructions but there was no mention anywhere of key fob operation of windows. Google to the rescue, however, and there was a REVISED owners manual issued a few months after my truck was built that included the instructions. Had I not owned a Honda previously I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on.
My boss's Accord will sometimes randomly open it's windows partway also.... It's amusing but harmless on hot days but I am sure it's annoying when it rains! He eventually figured out what was causing it but it sure had him dumbfounded for awhile.

How often do we think about our sideview mirrors dimming, when another car is behind at night? 2 of my cars do that.

Also, I don’t often remember that one car has headlamp washers. They spray the lights if headlights are on and windshield is washed.

For that matter, how about heated washer nozzles? 1/3 cars of ours has it.

I'm always forgetting about this one. I think they discontinued it in 2019.

Fire Missile.jpg

Stupid sensor that opens the trunk if you stand by it for like 2 seconds. Turned it off on my car but my wife likes it on hers. It beeps whenever you walk by the trunk with the key.

BMW has a rechargeable flashlight in the glove box, that still works after being constantly charged for 16.5 years. It's not of any use esp. with flashlights being LED today, but if I were looking for a used car, I'm the type who wants all those things intact.

A few on the FRS in regards to shifting which are all off by default. You can set it up to show a shift light (and buzzer) at any RPM you specify. There's also a gear indicator, but it comes with an economy upshift arrow that bothers me. I just keep all of that stuff off.

Back