Features You Forget Your Vehicle Has

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
This is a great storage and far bigger than a coin or watch holder and lined...I keep forgetting it's there. Good place to store some spare dollars just in case.

IMG_20230527_185321336_HDR.jpg

My 05 Dodge neon DOESN'T have an interior trunk release. The only vehicle that I've owned that I had to use the key to open yhe trunk.

Took me almost a year on our CX-9 to realize that one of the buttons on the wheel cycled through fuel economy and other options I thought the only one was on the infotainment screen 🤦

The BMW has heat after the engine has been turned off, for maybe 20-40 min. I tried it when the car was new. Then, in 2011 I used it and eventually got a battery icon on the dash. Must have been a great time to be an engineer and be able to see one’s ideas go into production (like true duals on a I6 etc), if only for 1-4 years…

My 05 Dodge neon DOESN'T have an interior trunk release. The only vehicle that I've owned that I had to use the key to open yhe trunk.
I had two 95 Neons and actually bought them in late 93.
Weird but true. One was a base model with grey bumpers and the other a top trim. I remember the top trim having a trunk release. Don't remember the base trim though...

The great Neon feature was the rear lights would fill up with water. The dealership did nothing so I drilled a small drain hole on each. Funny the lights never failed...

That said I have had a few cars with the trunk release in the glove box...yeah...dumb...

Auto Hold on our '20 Santa Fe. It allows the brakes to be applied even without your foot on the brake. Good for going through drive-thrus, I guess. Never used it. Just read up on it recently when my wife accidentally pushed the button, called me at work, and asked, "What's this mean?" when it got illuminated on the dash!

Auto Hold on our '20 Santa Fe. It allows the brakes to be applied even without your foot on the brake. Good for going through drive-thrus, I guess. Never used it. Just read up on it recently when my wife accidentally pushed the button, called me at work, and asked, "What's this mean?" when it got illuminated on the dash!
I do like that feature especially in a traffic jam..

Reactions: Pew
I had two 95 Neons and actually bought them in late 93.
Weird but true. One was a base model with grey bumpers and the other a top trim. I remember the top trim having a trunk release. Don't remember the base trim though...

The great Neon feature was the rear lights would fill up with water. The dealership did nothing so I drilled a small drain hole on each. Funny the lights never failed...

That said I have had a few cars with the trunk release in the glove box...yeah...dumb...
Our family legend Lumina had a button in the glove box I think it was for the trunk but I can’t say for certain now.

VW! Those guys are always surprising me. I like the little cubby you pictured, I used it for my tire pressure gauge. Speaking of tires, the Passat had a TPMS reset button in the glove box, now that was handy. There was also something clever with the hood release, it would not work with the engine running unless the driver’s door was also open. Presumably so you couldn’t accidentally pop your hood while driving down the highway.

The Mustang has a little cubby like that too. I’d owned the car for weeks before I found it.

Our family legend Lumina had a button in the glove box I think it was for the trunk but I can’t say for certain now.

VW! Those guys are always surprising me. I like the little cubby you pictured, I used it for my tire pressure gauge. Speaking of tires, the Passat had a TPMS reset button in the glove box, now that was handy. There was also something clever with the hood release, it would not work with the engine running unless the driver’s door was also open. Presumably so you couldn’t accidentally pop your hood while driving down the highway.

The Mustang has a little cubby like that too. I’d owned the car for weeks before I found it.
Great!
And my VW has carpeted door compartments at the bottom where you store drinks and other things. No noise!

Does the Passat have remote start ?

On the 3rd Gen LS a person needs to be a trapeze artist or contortionist with a traveling circus, if they want to reset the tire monitoring system. It’s what’s different than the German engineers.

Also, they make cup holders that break automatically so that the driver and passengers cut down on their caloric intake

Does the Passat have remote start ?
Mine did not. The Mustang has it through the Ford app but not on the key fob. VW would not allow that end around on the Jetta, I did not have the VW app when I had the Passat but I would expect same deal there.

When I bought my Camry, I negotiated free remote start. The dealership uses a third party installer so I had to bring it back a week after purchase to get it installed. Other than testing/playing with it. I've used it about 3 times in 8 years and haven't used it in the past 5 years. Don't even think to use it. This is my first vehicle with a moon roof. Never use that, either. Often forget that it's there.

thread would have been more fun if it was about features your car has that you really think are dumb. My daughters Nissan locks the friggin doors as soon as you get moving, but they wont open manually from inside by pulling the door handle, you have to click the electric lock button or turn the car off and remove the key.. Car locks your butt inside it, and if you are unfamiliar with where the manual unlock buttons are I could imagine if you rolled the car or drove into a canal you had a good chance of dying.

I just saw VW advertising a feature that starts the car when you sit in the seat. all I could think was that it was too much effort for their customers to push the start button..

How about my 1998 Maxima lowering front windows, when unlock held down on fob? I am not sure if our remaining 3 cars can do that.

I just saw VW advertising a feature that starts the car when you sit in the seat. all I could think was that it was too much effort for their customers to push the start button..
The bad think about VW is it hounds you if the car idles and if you get out with it running it usually shuts you down.

Back