Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

I don’t understand—all the cars I’ve driven with this feature (albeit not many) have two step buttons. Light press, then you feel the stop, then press a bit harder to push through. Light press does not engage the auto feaure, the window stops when you let off.

Are there cars that only have auto up/down on the button? that’d certainly would grind my gears.
I have never, even once, been able to get these to work. Never.

Giant key fobs, touch screen entertainment controls, auto stop-start.
The key fobs kill me, why do they need to be the size of a golf ball ?

I don't get the hate for auto stop-start. Granted, I've only driven it in two or three rentals, but it was completely unobtrusive. First time I had a car which had it, it took nearly an entire day before I noticed it was shutting off. Maybe some manufacturers do it differently? I have heard cars which sound like the driver is engaging the starter every time, but that was not true of the cars I rented.

Loss of tactile controls you don’t need to look at substitutes for a worthless touchscreen

Oversized overpriced clown tires

Loss of 4 point visibility, new cars you have massive blind spots and can’t see the ground over the excessively thick long hood and pillars.

I don't get the hate for auto stop-start.

My state charged an extra $75 on the registration on a stop start car I had stating it was considered a hybrid, disposed of said car as it definitely wasn’t and they could care less and wouldn’t fix the registration

Stop-Start. I will NOT buy a car that this can't be easily disabled.

All other features, I'll take it.
Yeah about 8 years ago we had a Volvo that had that on it as a stop and start feature. Imagine being close to a train track or trying to hurry up and get out of a jam and it just goes limp on you. I was already embarrassed that we had a Volvo but it was her car not mine. That stop and start idea that's when you use the most fuel and when you have the most where does it make any sense at all. Sounds to me like all this BS is just optics.

TPMS

Sealed for life transmissions, no drain plug, no dipstick, no way to fill…

Skinny tires, especially skinny small tires. Skinny large tires are also bad, just not as bad as small ones…

Precats. Secondary catalytic converter before main, to reduce emmisions at startup…. Lost count of the number I have gutted out…

Oversized urban assault vehicles, Suburban, Navigator, etc..
Half the people who own one can’t drive it…
Oversized pickups too…

This x 1000

I say remove the warning labels, give everyone a 427 4 speed Cobra and let the cards fall where they will.
On the second thought, auto swap it. 90 percent of the population won't be able to find 1st gear.

Auto stop on a non hybrid

Totally kills the AC compressor and in 100+ ambient it gets to be a drag defeating it all the time.

My RX400H - beautiful, no penalty for it.

Run flat tires with no spare tire. Not even a donut. And therefore, no jack either.

Cars with minimal gauges, not even engine water temperature.

Lane departure warnings. They go off when changing lanes on multi-lane highways, or when apexing a curve on a deserted highway.

Start-stop.

Cylinder deactivation. On a Corvette?

One speed, constant variable transmissions.

Almost total disappearance of turbodiesel SUVs and sedans.

Stop-Start. I will NOT buy a car that this can't be easily disabled.

All other features, I'll take it.
And that has been going on forever "can't be easily disabled". Even in the beginning days of the unintended acceleration (the police guy and his family), just because it has a key that fits in the ignition switch does not mean it is like your old 57 chevy. I have deeply studied our 2009 Honda CRV with a normal key in the slot ignition switch. Guess what? All switching for anything to do with the engine running or starting is commanded through the PCM, its like you don't get to switch it on or off if the computer won't allow it. I suppose auto makers have been doing this even before 2000. It is to the point now you have zero control of your car. Ah you say push on the brakes, all cars have ABS, and that has been under computer control since inception. ABS limits or stops fluid pressure to wheel cylinders. (think the police guy again) So when the computer goes ape or is commandeered, your just along for the ride.
New cars now have electric everything, the parking brake, the steering, all transmission functions including the solenoid control of the parking pawl.
Transmission shift lever is flyby wire, and the accelerator has been that for many years now.
The thing I dislike the most is the dangerous stuff used to make the airbags work. All the replacements are still filled with the same stuff only a desiccant was added and NHTSA is waiting to see if any problems happen before ruling on it. But who cares, everyone blindly trusts it all, right?

Last edited:
Back