Favorite Oil in Sky Active 2.5L engine ?

My understanding is that they supply the Japanese domestic market. Everywhere else is supplied by the Thailand filters. There is also the Mexican value filter but I’m not sure that is Roki.
The dealership in Kirkland had them the last time I was there. Their filters were $10 each the Fram TG6607 is $6.84. Look for more shortages and higher prices!

I'll get over it when Mazda releases an official bulletin approving certain aftermarket oil filters for their vehicles. I'd love to run a Mobil 1 #108 or the slightly longer #110, or the Fram Ultra. Those filters are so good that I would only change them every 10,000 miles, while changing the oil every 5000 miles.

But until that day I'd rather not take a chance and the OEM filters are excellent and not expensive nor hard to source.
My s-i-l has a 2015 CX-5 2.5 NA with over 180K and I doubt it's ever had an OE filter since the first oil change. It's had ST, Fram, Purolator, STP etc...It feels like another 100K is easily doable ...runs great and I'm sure it's had some longer OCI's too.

Data points: CX-5 2015 skyactiv 2.5 non turbo 5.3 qts 5w30 and new filter ph3593A for every 5k DIY change several years in So. Cal. brings oil up to top hole on dip stick… not just in the middle between low add / full.

The Turbo CX-5 2021 skyactiv 2.5 6 qts 5w30 and new filter ph9688 ( compatible with ph3593A ) 5k DIY again in So. Cal. today.
The oil quantity printed in Mazda owner manual 5.1 qts brings oil to middle of the 2 holes of the oil dipstick.

I have the top hole of dip stick as full in my mind . The CX-5 dip stick has inconsistent / difficult to repeatedly observe oil level..one side of the stick is rubbing within the tube and will never yield repeatable results so I measure 3 or 4 times and go from the average after engine is at temp and off for 10 minutes to allow drain back into pan.
Fuel dilution can be a factor when engine is operated short trips in the cold but once fully up to temp. perhaps not such a big deal …it depends on driver patterns here in So. Cal. Driving freeways @ 70mph for an hour each way is not a big volume increase in the pan As far as fuel dilution is concerned.

Buster, thanks for your data.
Today I had the Turbo 2021 on my driveway @11,800 miles and found prior dealer(Irvine, CA.) &first oil change filter was Mazda Value . Interestingly the drain bolt is not a hex8mm like earlier 2.5 skyactiv but a normal 17 mm drain bolt.
Additionally I lift the driver side and support with jack stands for tilt. The drain opening is lower then and my son in law observed about a cup old oil drain out after the normal dripping stopped When just level without the extra effort.

Data points: CX-5 2015 skyactiv 2.5 non turbo 5.3 qts 5w30 and new filter ph3593A for every 5k DIY change several years in So. Cal. brings oil up to top hole on dip stick… not just in the middle between low add / full.

The Turbo CX-5 2021 skyactiv 2.5 6 qts 5w30 and new filter ph9688 ( compatible with ph3593A ) 5k DIY again in So. Cal. today.
The oil quantity printed in Mazda owner manual 5.1 qts brings oil to middle of the 2 holes of the oil dipstick.

I have the top hole of dip stick as full in my mind . The CX-5 dip stick has inconsistent / difficult to repeatedly observe oil level..one side of the stick is rubbing within the tube and will never yield repeatable results so I measure 3 or 4 times and go from the average after engine is at temp and off for 10 minutes to allow drain back into pan.
Fuel dilution can be a factor when engine is operated short trips in the cold but once fully up to temp. perhaps not such a big deal …it depends on driver patterns here in So. Cal. Driving freeways @ 70mph for an hour each way is not a big volume increase in the pan As far as fuel dilution is concerned.
My non turbo Mazda6 has an impossible-to-read-when-warm dipstick. Actually, I won't complain 'cuz I'm actually happy it HAS a dipstick. I only read it cold, and make a small mental correction to what I read. It's fine, cold.

My non turbo Mazda6 has an impossible-to-read-when-warm dipstick. Actually, I won't complain 'cuz I'm actually happy it HAS a dipstick. I only read it cold, and make a small mental correction to what I read. It's fine, cold.

I have the same engine and I don’t have all that much trouble reading the dipstick even when warm. I pull it, wipe off completely, reinsert and pull again. That last step I do quickly.

If the sun is bright it does make it harder but I use the paper towel I wiped with as a background.

I have the same engine and I don’t have all that much trouble reading the dipstick even when warm. I pull it, wipe off completely, reinsert and pull again. That last step I do quickly.

If the sun is bright it does make it harder but I use the paper towel I wiped with as a background.
The "quickly" must be the answer. I don't do it slowly, but maybe I have to try your method...

The dipstick on my 2022 is black its not a help in reading it. I'm used to the older silver ones that the honey or darker oil showed up pretty well on.

I find it interesting that you are using non-spec'd oil filters on your CX-5. I have several of those left over from my Hyundai and may give them a try on the Mazda..

I have a 15 Mazda3 with the 2.5L and 6speed, now at 74k miles. I've always changed the oil myself and always used 5W-30 synthetic oil and a Bosch 3300 filter. No problems with the car since I got it new.

I have had my 2022 CX5 Non Turbo for 4 months and am quickly approaching 10K miles. I did a change at 5K using Liquimoly Top Tec AA 0W20 (got a really good deal on several 5 liter jugs of it) and a Mazda filter I picked up at the dealer. I am going to change again at 10K probably end of the week and send a sample to Blackstone for analysis for gits and shiggles. Will post results when I get them.

Yes and I could have gotten 10W-30 $2 a Jug cheaper. Some place in the Mazda online manual it say 10W-30 is acceptable.
SM and above 10w-30 in Mexico. Still Magna Sin is different fuel octane level and much less ethanol. Europe is not comparable either cause the oil standards are not the same and a different OCI. Personally think the different viscosity around the World does not open the door. One interesting note… around the world the oil fill cap does not label the viscosity like here.

Last edited:
I traded my 2016 CX5 Touring in for a 2021 CX5 CE turbo. I started off with Castrol 0w20 syn in the 16 and switched to QSUD for an extra shot of moly and to save a few bucks. It did quiet some clicking. I used only TG6607 filters the whole time I owned it. I was using the same oil and filter combo in my wifes 2018 Mazda3 GT, until I couldn't find any QS full syn, now it has some Valvoline AS in it. The turbo gets 5w30 Valvoline AS and a mazda filter. Too be honest I haven't been driving the turbo much lately due to high premium fuel prices. I did take it on two round trips from Denver to northern Michigan last summer and it's a beautiful road trip vehicle. It will run on 87 octane but with a power and fuel mileage loss. If I had to do it over, I'd probably get a NA motor again as it was perfectly adequate in the 16 CX5. The turbo is definitely fun but fuel economy can suffer quickly. The turbo gets an average of 22 mpg city if I can keep my foot out of it and 28 or so highway mpg at 65 or less mph and 26 or so at 75 mph. The 16 regularly got 24 to 25 in city and 30 to 32 on the highway. A little bit of head wind can reduce the highway mpg by another 2 to 3 mpg in either CX5. The 3 easily gets 26 in the city and can get 38 mpg at 65-70 mph and 36 at 75 mph. (of note, we had a 2014 Mazda6 Touring and it got better fuel mileage than the 3! Loved that car for road trips.)

I traded my 2016 CX5 Touring in for a 2021 CX5 CE turbo. I started off with Castrol 0w20 syn in the 16 and switched to QSUD for an extra shot of moly and to save a few bucks. It did quiet some clicking. I used only TG6607 filters the whole time I owned it. I was using the same oil and filter combo in my wifes 2018 Mazda3 GT, until I couldn't find any QS full syn, now it has some Valvoline AS in it. The turbo gets 5w30 Valvoline AS and a mazda filter. Too be honest I haven't been driving the turbo much lately due to high premium fuel prices. I did take it on two round trips from Denver to northern Michigan last summer and it's a beautiful road trip vehicle. It will run on 87 octane but with a power and fuel mileage loss. If I had to do it over, I'd probably get a NA motor again as it was perfectly adequate in the 16 CX5. The turbo is definitely fun but fuel economy can suffer quickly. The turbo gets an average of 22 mpg city if I can keep my foot out of it and 28 or so highway mpg at 65 or less mph and 26 or so at 75 mph. The 16 regularly got 24 to 25 in city and 30 to 32 on the highway. A little bit of head wind can reduce the highway mpg by another 2 to 3 mpg in either CX5. The 3 easily gets 26 in the city and can get 38 mpg at 65-70 mph and 36 at 75 mph. (of note, we had a 2014 Mazda6 Touring and it got better fuel mileage than the 3! Loved that car for road trips.)
*So , the turbo must use premium 91+ octane ? ... That can be expensive today - if that's the case I would rather have the 2.5L Sky Active non - turbo which can run on 87 octane .

Back